A word of advice...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitpicker, Feb 26, 2006.

1. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Just a little bit of venting....

Every once in awhile - for a hoot - plug your guitar straight into you amp for an entire set or rehersal...

This is what "transparent" and "amp-like" REALLY sound like...

Effects are great and wonderful (yes, I too possess staggeringly large amounts of GAS), but don't forget where it is you came from...

The best "effects" in the world come from your fingers.....

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

When I want that, I play acoustic. I have 3-4 pedals that shape my electric tone and are pretty important to me.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I might just do that on my next day off.....

But with a delay of course.....;)

4. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Hey Phishmarisol - I hear you! I don't know if I could ever go back to playing straight into an amp, even though I did exactly that for over 20 years (LP w/P-90's and Strat into 1965 Super Reverb, oh yeaa!)

I am just talking about getting back to basics everyonce in awhile, and remembering what is underneath the effects, and maybe letting that raw, unadulterated sound shine through every once in awhile....

It is like a beautiful woman - yea, she looks even better in make-up and a nice dress, but she also looks killer in the morning....

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Ok, maybe not, the tonal options are just so nice to have. Drop the wah, TS-9, Dual Drive, boost, and vibe, ok, but my Fuzz and Echo are of paramount importance to the sounds I love to hear.

6. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Hey derek_32999

No fair! That's cheating!

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

On another note, Tele or les paul + Tweed = heaven.
    On even another note, play acoustic once in a while. Now that IS raw. :RoCkIn

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Yeah, once in a while when I don't feel like plugging all my stuff in I go right into the amp and still think it sounds pretty darn good!

9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

What?! You play an electric guitar into an amp?! Pick up an acoustic - that's what transparent and from your fingers really sounds like.

;)

10. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Allright, I guess I need to straighten out you whippersnappers....

I have been stroking the stings for almost 35 years, electric strings! To this day, I suck on acoustic...

I play through a 1965 Fender Super Reverb. I challenge any acoustic guitar's "rawness" when compared to my P-90 equipped Double-cutaway Les Paul plugged into the Fender with volumes dimed. That is MY definition of "RAW" and "TRANSPARENT"!!! (OK, it realize I am on shaky ground here, but the Barcardi is speaking!)

All I am really saying is that sometimes rauch rules! I have a Deep Purple tape I acquired many years ago that is "supposed" to be a bootleg. It sounds like something from the 1972-1974 era. To be honest, Richie'e tones suck, but then again, I think they totally ROCK!!!! It is NOT the tone, it is the player. Well, not entirely, but perhaps (hopefully) you get the point.

(by the way (and this is the Bacardi speaking), I will mail the Deep Purple CD to the first 5 posters who request it (my cost... in other words, for FREE!!) just because I believe music is to be shared, not hoarded)

I appreciate those who have heard my (drunken) rant and responded. The Deep Purple offer is genuine and aimed at you. We are all on a tone quest. Of course we all have different tastes and one man's nirvana is another's hell. That being said, my original thought is still valid - a good guitar straight into a good amp, played by a good player, is still what it is all about. Effects and pedals are just icing on the cake. If it is good straight, it is even better with the extras! All I am saying is - don't ever lose track of ..?????.. "IT"....!!!!

11. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yes, there is definately some bacardi talking in there... ;) But this is a nice quote. :BEER

12. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I sure am glad that an essential part of my sound is Guitar >Cord >Amp.

This way Im always in touch with the basics...

Still looking to buy a bunch of pedals though...LOL
    Richard

13. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

A guy came by my house yesterday to sell me a bunch of pedals. He didn't like them and they weren't doing it for him. So we were trying them out and he said, "Wow, they sound good when you play them." I asked him if he was changing his mind and wanted them back, and he said, "No. I just figured something out - it's not the pedals, it's me." A few questions revealed that the guy never practices or even plays much, and he really believed if he had the right pedals it would give him "tone." And this was not a real young guy either. I felt bad for him...

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Or...you could just leave them mostly off :)

I know, I know..."major tone sucking"..but you know what, I think
    there is something wrong with some pedal in the chain if you are getting noticeable tone suck with pedals in line.

I wrote recently on some thread here (so this time I'll condense it),

I recorded my guitar direct, then at exactly the same settings, but going through a Wah, OD, trem, comp, EQ, Vol pedal, and effects loop into a delay and reverb with all effects turned off.

The ONLY noticeable differences were:

1) slight, and I mean so slight to be ridiculous loss of high. But really..no,
    had a great sound both ways.

2) Slight (on the meter, could not hear it, or if I could I heard it as #1 point above) mayb 1db difference, with straight being about 1db higher or so.

3) slighly noticeable difference when I dropped the guitar vol less then 10. Very slight. Seems to loose highs on the pedal path, but this was with the guitar down to about 7 on the knob. I never go that low. I usually am between 8-10...usually on 9 or 10. Also, I could adjust the amp EQ to be virtually identical.

I agree, it is nice to not have the pedals there on the floor even, just forget 'em and concentrate on playing...that is a good thing to do when it fits, but we shouldn't be too worried about the pedals dulling things either. If it does you'll notice it.

My point isn't to be a know-it-all or contradict anyone here, just if there are people like me (tone worriers) that always have this feeling like it is a big compromise and maybe I'm screwing up my tone..oh no, but don't KNOW.. (this is the weird part...you FEEL always like your tone is missing something, but it isn't..you like it) relax...it isn't as critical as some would have you believe, and if it is, somethings wrong. If you can hear it, somethings not good.

15. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

That's one of the things I love about my Radial JD7 Injector - Not only is it GREAT for playing/reamping more than amp, but the drag adjust makes up for anything lost in my pedal board!

:AOK