A young luthier needs help with a boat.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by David Collins, Jan 16, 2015.

1. David Collins

David Collins Member

I come here humbly requesting your assistance.

Canoe Contest

Hopefully not too off-topic for this forum, but "The Pub" is a foreign community to me, and this is for a young luthier after all. Anyway, my daughter is a budding young craftsperson, working part time with me since she was about 4.

[​IMG]

But this is where she's more at home in the summer -

[​IMG]

She's long outgrown the old boat and there is one new Old Town model that would be perfect, and it just so happens they are giving one away. So I entered, and there are so few entries that I may have a good chance to win it, but it's close.

So I decided the most effective course may be to unleash my friends at The Gear Page community on the contest.

It's a silly thing to ask I know, but if friends here are able to take a few seconds to skip over and vote (only allows 1 vote per IP address), my daughter would be thrilled to get a new boat this spring. If you can, please vote for the entry with this pic -

http://www.paddlenext.com/resolution

[​IMG]

Best part, they don't ask for any emails, facebook sign in, any personal info - just click and vote, takes a few seconds. Thanks everyone - I hope this works, because my daughter is so excited about it that I'll have to find a way to scrape up some change to buy one this spring!!

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

We kind of owe you one (vote), anyway.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

do it!

at this moment it looks like our pal (and incredible guitar knowledge resource) david C is in the lead by just a few votes; it does indeed just take a couple seconds, and there's no signing up for or agreeing to anything needed.

4. rjohns1

rjohns1 Member

1 vote from me. Good luck dude.

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Done - I used to love canoeing. still do, but it's been a long time.

Fantastic, thanks, Dana O.

6. David Collins

David Collins Member

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate it.

I've been promising my daughter a new canoe for about two years now, so if we don't win we'll have to find a way to scrape some cash to buy one. As most professional luthiers can attest to, that's often easier said than done. ;)

7. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Funny. My first thought when I read the title was, "Doesn't he waste enough money on the guitar business? He needs a boat too?"

8. sondich

sondich Member

done. good luck

9. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

10. IBTom

IBTom Member

11. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

Let's get that young lady a canoe !!!
    Voted

12. kidmo

kidmo Member

done & done, good luck

13. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

Voted.

David and his daughter are in second place -- more votes please!

14. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

Another vote...good luck.

15. David Collins

David Collins Member

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately it seems my initial suspicions on how these are really won have been confirmed. I figured out how to cheat the voting system, as have the other top contenders. I tried it for a bit last night, but it involves a lot of hands on time.

So I played with it, putting in a number of votes (yes, I cheated), and it took about 70 seconds for each vote, plus the additional couple of "honest votes" per hour. As I was doing this, it was clear that the other two top contenders were getting another vote about every 70 seconds as well. It only stops when the operator tires out and has to step away, at which point the vote count stops completely. Not too hard to figure out that they were trying to do the exact same thing as I was.

In any case, I tried it, and it didn't feel good. It wouldn't bring the best feelings to win and tell my daughter "hey, I cheated real hard to get you this". Honest votes can't win in contests like this, but I'd rather walk away with empty hands and a clear conscience.

So I'll let the chips fall where they may. I tried it, and I think my suspicions have been confirmed that it's easier to get one the old fashioned way. My weekend will be better spent working some overtime to finish up a few neck resets, than sitting at a screen trying to out-cheat someone else.

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate it, but these silly games did more to make me feel guilty for trying to cheat than any good they could bring. Lesson learned, and if I win 2nd or 3rd I'll tell Old Town to ship the paddle I'd win off to the 4th place entry who actually appeared to play fair (I have way too many paddles as it is).

Actually, now that I think of it, I could probably make up half the cost of buying this boat if I were to just sell most of the paddles I never use anymore. ;)

16. David Collins

David Collins Member

Update -

Thanks for the support from all who voted, but the results have been wiped clean.

I sent a note to the folks at Old Town Canoe about how easy it was to cheat, and admitted that I did it as well (hard not to when you know full well the folks you're up against are cheating as well). So they thanked me, tightened up some of the security features to prevent multiple votes, and reset the counts to zero.

I think we have a much better chance when everyone's restricted to honest votes (though I'd be surprised if someone couldn't still crack the system). So if you voted before, and feel like trying again, I'd be much appreciative (though now I believe it requires logging in to Facebook)!

Thanks so much for your help (and extra thanks from my daughter)!

17. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I keep trying to vote, but it won't let me. Says that I "opted out" of something. Hmmm. I'll keep trying, though. Best of luck, David!

18. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

take two, and voted!

a little more facebook spam is a price i'm willing to pay :)

19. David Collins

David Collins Member

Thanks guys. I think if the rules keep folks honest, I may have a decent chance of actually winning.

My daughter is on the autism spectrum, and has always struggled with a lot of things like bikes, scooters, skateboards, etc, (if you know any Asperger's or autistic kids you'll know what I'm talking about). Paddling however, can rely much less on getting the "feel" to learn, and those better at intentional strategy and conscious processing can do quite well. She took to paddling quite early, and is now as much at home on the water as on land.

So one way or another, we're going to get this boat. If we don't win it, I'll probably have to figure out how it could be written off as a business expense, but at least we have a good accountant. ;)

Still, winning would be nice. That's why although I don't usually come here asking for help (not to say I haven't received a good deal whether you all realize it or not), with this I'm tapping in to as many resources as possible.

Thanks again!

20. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

Voted again. You're in 1st place at the moment (by two votes). I also posted to my FB page asking my friends to vote for you.