AA12 and Morningstar MC6

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jjjp, Jan 10, 2019.

1. jjjp

jjjp Supporting Member

Just ordered an MC6 to go with my AA12. Originally thought I’d add an HX stomp but it didn’t work out for me. Discovered I have all the effects I need in the Atomic and don’t really miss the additional amp models possible with the HX stomp. It is a nice little unit though. With the additional capability of the MC6 I should be set. Will post more info when it’s set up.

Jace Nuzback likes this.
  2. Jace Nuzback

Jace Nuzback Member

Interesting. How do you plan to use them together?

3. jjjp

jjjp Supporting Member

Initially I'm going to use the morningstar to give me access to more effects while I'm in the same preset. Right now I've been running out of buttons. I tried using a One Control Basislisk but it won't toggle effects with one button- it only sends one CC message/value- either on or off. The Morningstar seems pretty deep though, I'm pretty sure I'll find other uses for it, such as toggling between 2 values on certain parameters, etc.

4. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Silver Supporting Member

Midi implementation on the AA is very basic. What are you wanting to do with it that 12 buttons can't accomplish? Parameter control is pretty much non-existant. On/off and that's about it.

5. jjjp

jjjp Supporting Member

Simple math. 5 presets, 2 bank buttons, tap tempo, and 4 effects. That leaves no buttons for the other effects. Not including the EQs or noise gate there are 10 effects. So I want more access to effects while in a preset.
    Also simple on/off capability can be powerful depending on how the Morningstar is programmed. The Morningstar might have multiple CC message capability with 1 button push, I'm not sure yet. That would allow you to create efx presets within the preset on the AA12. So one button push can activate, deactivate, or toggle between multiple effects. There's lots of possibilities.

6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Silver Supporting Member

Fair enough. For me; expanding on the Atomic platform just hasn't really made sense. I tried with the MS3 (and additional drives were awesome) but ended up offing it.

It's a great sounding amp modeler with some good, basic effects at the end of the day. A/B switching and multi-fx switch programming on the AA6 get me where I need to go. In my eyes; things are very statically configured and all the external controllers in the world won't change that for how I end up use it.

7. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

The MC6 can toggle multiple effects on/off with a single button. So can a button on the AA12. The MC6 is great -- easy to program and the scribbles are super helpful. I would think you're going to need to keep a preset in the MC6 associated with each preset in the AA12, though, in order to keep the on/off state of MC6 buttons tracking consistently with the AA12. That should be doable with the MC6 receiving PC from the AA12 when you change AA12 presets.

8. jjjp

jjjp Supporting Member

I hear you. The thing that interests me is being able to switch effects in and out on the fly live. With 6 extra buttons and good programming capability this will come in handy for me. I’m quite happy with the unit- I just want a little more flexibility.

Sounds like you have an MC6. Do you have the Mkii? Will the MC6 receive CC messages from a preset change on the AA12 and toggle the display accordingly? So let’s say I have turned on the echo and chorus. Now I switch presets on the AA12 to one that has those effects off. Will the AA12 transmit the off status to the MC6 through CC messages? Otherwise as you say I would have to associate presets between the units to reset the display on the MC6.

9. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

My understanding is the only thing the AA units can transmit is PC #. Not sure what the MC6 could do if CCs could be sent. I have the mkii, use it with a Kemper.