AAAAA Flame maple in my back yard...almost

brentrocks

Guitar Hack/Player
Platinum Supporting Member
My neighbor, good fella, cut down some HUGE maples a few weeks ago. I was out mowing the yard today and noticed this one hunk sitting there, glissening in the sun like an angel from the heavens!!! AAAAA Flame maple that would give any guitar maker a WOODY.

I thought about asking my neighbor, Chuck, a good christian man, if i could cut a nice sized billet off of that log and take it down to Heritage to see if they could put it on a nice Vintage SunBusrst H 150...:drool

May be worth a shot?

brentrocks

Guitar Hack/Player
if my neighbor lets me have it or buy it...im still not sure how to cut it. i know there is quarterswan, flatsawn, etc....no clue?

Bobby D

take it to someone who knows what they are doing. and buy your neighbor a nice dinner or something!

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Thats beauty in the raw for sure!

take it to someone who knows what they are doing. and buy your neighbor a nice dinner or something!
TRUE DAT!!!

Any good luthier will know what and how to work that into a beautiful piece!

brentrocks

Guitar Hack/Player
i was wondering if i should just take the chunk down to Heritage directly...i know the guys pretty well and i'm sure there is enough wood ther for multiple tops. just have them take 1 nice billet out for my guitar and donate the rest of the log to Heritage.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
i was wondering if i should just take the chunk down to Heritage directly...i know the guys pretty well and i'm sure there is enough wood ther for multiple tops. just have them take 1 nice billet out for my guitar and donate the rest of the log to Heritage.
That's what I would do.

Nice chunk of wood!!!

tbonesullivan

this reminds me of when the town cut down a really weirdly shaped norway maple. over time it had leaned over the street, and had a really big/heavy horizontal branch. You could see that even the bark was wavy under that.

When they cut it down, it was full of figured maple. Unfortunately, we really couldn't think of anything to do with it. This was years ago, before I was really into guitar.

zorak

Gold Supporting Member
That's what I call "nature taking its course!". It was meant for you to see that maple. Divine intervention!!!!

Woody Duke

You should find a local hardwood supplier or lumberyard that specializes in custom millwork; they may be able to cut and kiln-dry the wood to your specs. They might even buy what you can't use.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Rescue it before it becomes firewood!
Maple was my dad's favorite firewood and our north 40 had a lot of them. My greatest dread was seeing a nice piece of quilt or flame because it would trap the axe halfway through and I would need to swing the axe and block together and go all Conan the Barbarian on it to get it to split. You could say it's pretty tough stuff. When I think of all the nice pieces of flame that went up in flames....

brentrocks

Guitar Hack/Player
I finally made it over to my neighbors back yard last night and unfortunately the log is only 16 inches long...to make workable guitar top billets it needed to be at least 24 inches long.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Trending Topics