Aanalogman silver TS-9 vs. bad monkey

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by what?, Jul 11, 2006.

1. what?

what? Member

I just got a hold of an analogman silver mod TS-9 and a digitech bad monkey. Got some times to played around a bit today.

Analogman Silver mod TS-9

Mine is the maxon first reissue without the CE if that makes any difference. When I first plugged in this pedal I felt that there's not enough volume, with the gain on zero and vol all the way up it doesn't really boost the vol significantly and gives that hard edged breakup. It's best served as a stand alone OD pedal, crunchy yet smooth, due to the midrange of TS. Nice for crunchy chords and low gain lead lines. Cut through very easily.
    When I used it to boost my mosferatu it increases the mid quite a lot, although not as much as standard TS.

Digitech bad monkey

Dont know if it was US or China made, no back sticker. Very2 nice!with the high and low knobs I can tailor the highs and lows desired, although there's a hint of harshness from the high end, but still tolerable. Can be quite muddy if the gain is dialed in too high. This pedal has got less midrange compared to the analogman silver mod.
    This pedal excels as a booster, boosting my mosferatu the bad monkey gives my allready crnchy mos a liquid sustain yet still preserving pick attacks. Vol. full up and gain down low. This pedal stacks very nicely with other drive pedals.

Another pedaL that I compared today was the vintage marshall guvnor (black box). This pedal is very amplike, but the sustain, the way the notes drop off is very strange. But it's not a problem when used as a low gain OD. The 3 band EQ is very versatille but you need to bend over and tweak. I still havent been able to get rid of this 'loose' feeling I got from the pedal.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Thanks!

2. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I agree the BM makes a good boost. I tried one in front of a Maxon SD-9 and it worled very well.

Just the truth, for $40.00, it can't be beat.

3. boon

boon Member

What is ur setting like on ur BM? I put my treble nearly full and bass at about 1 o;clock

4. what?

what? Member

I put both high and low at approximately 12 o clock but set it differently depending on amp I'm using

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Me too...a good starting point, go from there.

Just to mention it, one other little known Digitech "sleeper" pedal, the X-Series "Tone Machine" (yellow pedal...OD) which has some absolutely killer sounds to my ears...and I mean great. I think it is better than the BM (but more expensive too..a little) except can get harsh with chords, but for soloing...the "morph" function is great, I don't care what they were trying to emulate, I love the sound of it.

Also have a Zendrive, Jekyll & Hyde, Blues Devil (INCREDIBLE!), Blues Pro, other digitech like "screamin' blues". etc. I really recommend anyone that gets near one to try out a Tone Machine.

Anyone else notice the weirdness with all these Digitech pedals though...like on the hi and lo knobs....when you set them somewhere, they like for a groove or something so when you try changing their settings, they are kinda "stuck" til you get them out of their "rut"?

I'm guessing it is on purpose, so you don't accidentally hit the knobs out of position, you really have to MEAN to change them to change them.

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

Tell us more about this Tone Machine you speak of...

I'm trying to google it, but can't find it, do you have a part number?

Any comparisons to other pedals?

7. TimL

TimL Member

I grabbed one last Friday and put in quite a few hours over the weekend, I actually had to stop my fingertips hurt...and they've not done that in a looooooong time. By far the best 40 bucks I've ever spent, on my first pedal yet.

Mmmmmmmmmmm pedals.....(help).

8. Thazy

Thazy Member

The more I read and hear about the Bad Monkey, the more I think I need to get one just to have around. At $40.00, you can't go wrong. But, I have a question, what does the bypass sound like? Does it suck tone when off? That would be a big downfall. Thanks guys.

9. TimL

TimL Member

For me, it's transparent when off. And yes, for $40, you really can't go wrong, especially if you're able to return it. From what I've seen in three days, and have read about in hundreds of reviews, you will NOT return it. Keep in mind, it's my first and only experience with an overdrive pedal, but damn it really opens up my rig.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Sorry...slight mistake, it is called the "Tone Driver"...

Here are some reviews on HC, but I own lots of different OD's, and this thing is in the top class...it just has tons of character...it models the "greats" OD pedals, but the morph knob lets you get a sound, like between a couple of different ones. Main thing, I just didn't care WHAT it was supposed to model, I just played with it and it is a truly rewarding pedal in that regard. Should be easy to find/test in any middle sized music store..

Here is the HC link: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/DigiTech/X-Series+Tone+Driver/10/1

11. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

bought one this afternoon. 42$ including tax. heavy as lead, cheap as hell. Sounded good in the store through an orange amp rocker combo w/ a les paul special. Havent had a chance to crank it though. What I like, and also I like about the Xotic BB preamp pedal is that you can really dial in the lows. Makes a world of difference for low volume playing to be able to do that, since most amps kick lows with increasing volume. So I can play at home and with the BM and a new bass graphic EQ I picked up last weekend I can get a real full tone for home noodling. I am looking forward to hearing it at full playing levels with the guys I play with. Anyway, will have fun with it this weekendd.

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Mine's in the mail! I bought it before seeing this thread, but now I really can't wait for it:dude

13. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

ok phase 1- the bad monkey is pretty freaking outstanding running stacked with a BB preamp fom Xotic. sort of billy gibbons of late, fuzzy distortion, or distorted fuzz, whatever, but yet the notes ring through. And this is on a STRAT mind you...way cool for boosting other effects...not sold yet on it alone yet but havet had enough PT (sorry for the Dick Vitale reference) with it yet. I am sure that it will be great, especially since it is a steal and can dial so much low end. Me likely thus far...

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Just got my Bad Monkey today!

I A/B-ed it with my Monte Allums SD-808 modded Boss SD-1. Here are my initial thoughts:

The BM is extremely warm and natural sounding. The EQ knobs are great. I was able to keep all the bottom of bypass, as well as turning the high knob up to 3:00 and still have a sweet warm tone. Another thing I liked is that having the EQ knobs at 12:00 actually felt like a relatively flat EQ!

The SD-1 has more bite, definitely. It also has less of a mid-hump, but the bottom gets dropped as well. I was able to dial in a warmer sound with the tone knob at 9:00, but at the expense of some of the highs. Even so, the BM is more comfortable doing warm OD.

The Bad Monkey can go from barely discernible gain (a true clean boost) to a nice smooth overdrive. No over the top mud with this, even cranked it doesn't have a lot of gain (which is quite nice). Another thing that really impressed me was that turning the gain knob does NOT increase or decrease the volume. Very cool.

The SD-1 is great for boosting an overdriven amp, but not for clean solos. At minimum there is still audible amounts of gain (not necessarily a bad thing). The gain knob reaches it's headroom at about 11:00, and then goes into saturation. This pedal can bring on enough gain for anyone except metal heads and hard rockers (still an OD pedal)

Final opinion: For bedroom playing, the BM wins out. More natural sounding, smoother, less harsh on the ears.

For band playing, not sure. The bite of the SD-1 (and most boss dirt pedals) seems to be an advantage as it helps cut through the mix. I know I can plug in the SD-1 and have no problem. However, I've never heard anyone say the BM has problems cutting through, so this may not be an issue.

Also, the bite of the SD-1 is not unmusical. Think of the clean guitar from "I need you tonight" by INXS. Add some hair, and you've got an MA modded SD-1. However, a sharper tone is more of a niche thing and not as practical.

I'm going to keep A/B-ing them, as well as A/B the BM with my DGTM. I can't believe this pedal is so cheap!