Aardvark Question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by little cyress, Apr 17, 2008.

1. little cyress

little cyress Member

I just purchased an old Aardvark 24/96.... I know, but I'm Broke

The card and mixer panel seem to work just fine with the 7.13 drivers (XP), but I am not getting a signal in or out and the power light does not come on (the green one)... I have the patches set up accordingly and there is nothing wrong with my 25 pin cable...
    I am using dynamic mics and 1/4 inch inputs, so I don't even need the Phantom Pre-Amp Power....

So my question is, should the green light always be on? Why can't I get a signal? Is the breakout box broken? It is built like a tank so I kind of doubt it... OR is the power just not coming out of the PCI Card???

2. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I had the same problem with my Q10 when I purchased it, but it turned out to be the sound settings in Windows XP that was the culprit.

I also had hell with the 7.13 drivers until I went deep into the sound settings in XP and turned off the mapping function that uses the card for windows sounds. The Aardvark drivers were never Microsoft certified, so it's necessary to divorce the drivers from XP as much as possible.

There was a known issue with installing the Aardvark drivers while the card is enabled--it can make XP reject the driver installation. The workaround is to disable the card in the Device Manager of XP, install the drivers, then re-enable the card.

The best performance I've gotten out of the Q10 is using the built-in sound device of the computer for mapping sounds through XP, and using the Q10 strictly for recording and playback through monitors wired into the Q10.

I'm not sure what you mean by the green light--if it's the Aardvark logo, the control for it is in the Aardvark software panel.

3. little cyress

little cyress Member

That does not sound very fun...
    I bought a shorter (6 foot long) cable (my first one was close more like 10 feet), and now I am able to get the red (phantom power) to turn on (red light on left side of breakout box) I am also able to get the sound test make a beep when routed to the headphones, but alas, still no signal to speak of coming into the computer and hence out into my headphones... If it is an XP problem, then why is the green power light still not coming on on the breakout box... and does this power light always come on when you simply turn on your computer, or is there a switch I am not aware of?

AND does anyone know if the breakout box contains the a/d/a converters, or are those in the PCI CARD?

Oh yeah, and I mean the green power light located on the right side of the 24/96 breakout box