• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Aargh, all my favorite guitarists have terrible singers (themselves)

I R P

Hopefully not derailing the thread entirely, but this raises an interesting side question: who do you think is the ‘best’ guitarist/singer?

- Richard Thompson (somewhat unorthodox, but a beautiful voice)
Heh, I was just about to cite Thompson as a great player whose vocal stylings ruin it for me.

tapeworm

Hopefully not derailing the thread entirely, but this raises an interesting side question: who do you think is the ‘best’ guitarist/singer?

A few come to mind for me:
- Doyle Bramhall II
- David Hidalgo
- David Holt
- Robert Cray
- Clapton (actually even more for his singing than playing, IMO)
- all 3 Kings
- Prince

I’m surely missing many others; these are just off the top of my head...
Of that list I’ll take Robert Cray and of course BB.

Bankston

- Doyle Bramhall II
- David Hidalgo
- David Holt
- Robert Cray
- all 3 Kings
- Prince

Rik Emmett, the Reverend and Vince Gill are my favorite dual threats.

John Sykes, Terry Kath and Michael Sweet.

I thought SRV had a lot of soul in his vocals even if he didn't have much range. That counts for a lot.

All the old school blues guys could sing because they were taught that blues was traditionally about the vocals first and the guitar second.

stephenT

Sean and I were close friends. His mission never changed, singer, songwriter, guitar player. What the world needed never entered his mind, tho he would have enjoyed more CD sales.

Well Sean was a rarity for sure! I think he knew that the world doesn't need or want another guitar hero, so he tried to showcase his vocals and songs

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
Well, at least I was right about he focused on. He was a monster player and gifted songwriter.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
Blame Jimi
if Jimi couldn't sing passably i bet he never would have been considered the legend he is by mainstream audiences. he wasn't a great vocalist, but he was the whole package as a band leader. great sound, great aeshtetic, sincerity/no phoniness. i fear that if he never sang he'd have a jeff beck-like career, which no disrespect to Jeff Beck, would have been tragic. Before Jimi there was no real precedent for the guitar-god frontman. Probably the next best known musician who was equal parts guitarist and frontman was Buddy Holly. if Jimi never sang maybe Van Halen wouldn't even be called Van Halen.

Tony Done

- Doyle Bramhall II
- David Hidalgo
- David Holt
- Robert Cray
- all 3 Kings
- Prince

I've always thought the same about Clapton, not sure many would agree with us. :) He also has the sense/talent to get good performers playing with him.

I play trad blues and folk, and I tend to think of my favourites as either good guitarists who sing (some shouldn't, David Lindley), or good singers who play guitar (Joan Baez). Dylan is in another class, ordinary player, lousy vocalist, but a brilliant songwriter/poet. :)

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
Well , you should listen to Nuno, I think he’s a pretty good singer, I like him better than Cherone:

theanthonyv

John Mayer does the singing/guitar playing thing pretty well. :idea
I just can’t get past his vocals. That whispery, pseudo-Dave-Matthews-ish thing. For me, it totally ruins whatever good guitar playing might come from him. I will credit him though with being able to sing and play complex parts simultaneously.

tapeworm

I just can’t get past his vocals. That whispery, pseudo-Dave-Matthews-ish thing. For me, it totally ruins whatever good guitar playing might come from him. I will credit him though with being able to sing and play complex parts simultaneously.
See my thing is, Mayer’s vocals fit the music he is playing perfectly just like Jimi’s vocals fit his music perfectly. Mayer might have been a better singer prior to his two surgeries, but his vocals and singing have changed a lot from the early career songs he put out. But then again you may just not like his natural singing voice and that’s cool too. I didn’t like his voice on those early songs either, but everything he has put out from Continuum to current has been great, vocals included imo.

theanthonyv

See my thing is, Mayer’s vocals fit the music he is playing perfectly just like Jimi’s vocals fit his music perfectly. Mayer might have been a better singer prior to his two surgeries, but his vocals and singing have changed a lot from the early career songs he put out. But then again you may just not like his natural singing voice and that’s cool too. I didn’t like his voice on those early songs either, but everything he has put out from Continuum to current has been great, vocals included imo.
That makes sense. I just don’t care for Mayer’s music in general. But it’s obviously good to have different strokes, and I’m glad that others enjoy his stuff. There’s room for everyone.

We can 100% agree on Otis Rush though! My favorite bluesman.

trap

Silver Supporting Member
I heard Larry Carlton sing on a tune years ago. Neither his voice nor the tune were very good.
Wayne Krantz is another. I love his playing but please sweet Jesus stay away from the mic!

Trending Topics