AB Switch for 2 Heads / 1 Cab

CrazyFingers

Hi,

I want to share a single cab amongst two heads. There has to be some sort of AB box that handles speaker cable connections. Can somebody point me in the right direction? I will never have both heads "on" at the same time and will not need anything that presents a load to the un-connected head.

Recommendations?

Thanks.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
Axcess HS-2
Palmer Triline/EFrog system
Radial Headbone VT

I use the Axcess.

JackButler

Gold Supporting Member
Radial didn't work for me, major tone suckage but it works well for other people I've read.

Tonefish

Axess is supposed to be coming out with a new one. Their HS-2 is no longer made but is occasionally available used. The Headbone can be quirky.

908SSP

Headbone works and has a remote switching jack so you can keep the unit on top of the amp stack for nice short cables.

zoooombiex

The headbone is a good option. but I have noticed I don't like using it the "right" way. ... normally, you plug into the headbone - there are two inputs, one buffered and one unbuffered. and from there the headbone has two loops - each runs to the input of an amp and then from the speaker out of the amp back to the headbone. so hitting the headbone switch flips between amp loops.

well, I wasn't too crazy about the sound when i plugged into the headbone. regardless of whether I used the buffered or unbuffered input something always seemed a little off.

so instead I just run the speaker output of each amp into the headbone and then manually plug directly into each amp. that way the headbone isn't between your guitar and your amp. i think it sounds and works great this way, and that's what I use when i really want to do a direct comparison of two amps using the same cab.

the catch is that when you want to switch between heads you have to pull out the guitar cord, switch the headbone, and then plug into the other amp. obviously, I don't use it this way live - i only one head out. this is just for home.

also, you have to make sure you are plugged into the right amp, or you could hurt an amp. e.g., if you are plugged into one amp but the headbone is switched to run the other amp to the cab, you could hurt the transformer of the amp you are playing into, as i don't think the headbone itself can provide a full load to the OT.

NyteOwl

Palmer Triline/EFrog system...
I used one of these for a while and was quite pleased with how it worked. On it's own, the Tri-Line is a top shelf ABY switching device with an XLR direct out and a dedicated tuner out that mutes the guitar signal for silent tuning. Connecting an E-Frog transforms it into a head switcher. Both pieces are solidly built, too.

GAT

I owned all three units.

Palmer: Works great, but I don't like buffers and it has one.

Axcess: Works great, no buffer.

Radial: I had two units and it never worked right for me, even with high quality cables. They eventually refunded my money.

CrazyFingers

Axcess: Works great, no buffer.

Noob question here: Can somebody tell me the benefit of having or not having a buffer? I was under the impression you could simply buy a switcher, much like you do for instrument cables.

My needs are for home studio use and I am beginning to think it would be better to simply plug & unplug cables.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom