AB/Y question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lennon08, Jan 28, 2008.

1. lennon08

lennon08 Supporting Member

This may have been answered already so please bear with me. I have a Marshall combo with a cabinet, an Epi Valve Jr head and a Blackheart head on the way. Will an AB/Y box allow me to use them with the cabinet without unplugging everything all the time?

If not, can some one pint me in the right direction?

Thanks.

2. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

no.... you need to have a load on the amps that are unused or they may be damaged.

I run a two amp rig with one cab and have had great results with the radial Headbone.

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

I haven't seen anything that will do the same thing for 3 amps.

3. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

that wouldn't work unless you have a dedicaed speaker for each amp. Otherwise the two amps not in use would blow. You need a switcher that wil place a load on the amps not in use so that they are not damaged.

I don't think there is a product out there that will do what you ask. The headbone is great for two amps though.

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

If you don't need real-time switching (mid-song, for instance), but just want a convenient way to switch them yourself then just buy a 1/4" patchbay. You will have to ensure whichever amps are not being used are either powered off or in standby mode before disconnecting them, but it would be a safe easy high quality way to achieve this.

5. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

radial headbone works wonders for me.

unless it has a speaker load, any other option will likely destroy your amp.