AB-Y recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shood, Jun 22, 2006.

1. shood

shood Member

I have read positive reviews of the Radial Switchbone, what are some others that you would recommend?

With regard to the Radial, it seems a little pricey, probably because it does more than just switch between and combine two channels. Are there simpler, less expensive alternatives that will perform the same basic functions (channel A, channel B, or both) equally well, or is the Radial better for reasons other than the additional bells and whistles?

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

3. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

That's pretty grouchy:confused:

Go for the Tonebone, it is worth it, I have tried a couple of others and they all shape your tone and produce hiss.

The Swithbone is transparent

4. Matt H

Matt H Guest

also, there's another ABY from radial, the "bigshot ABY"

it's entirely passive, but has the "goodies"- phase switch, ground lift, and an isolation transformer.

5. shood

shood Member

Thanks!

Not sure if it matters, but I will not be switching between different amps, just between channels on the same amp - does this eliminate concerns related to phase and ground?

6. rastaman

rastaman Member

Ok, I'm sorry.

I've been caught off gaurd by the mods and had my threads moved. I was just informing him that this is the amp forum, not the pedal forum......

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

i've gotten by just fine with my Morley A/B/Y live. It works for channel switching on most amps, but some it doesn't. Altogether pretty cheap and transparent, gets the job done.

8. rastaman

rastaman Member

I don't think phase nor ground should come into play with the same amp. You could try an inexpensive ABY because of that, like say Morely, Star something or other etc.

9. japhy

japhy Member

If I'm not mistaken (and I very well may be ) The phase feature would be handy on a single amp, such as a SF deluxe reverb , when using the "y" setting , as I think the 2 channels are out of phase.

10. Matt H

Matt H Guest

exactly- phase switch=superhandy about half the time. :)

11. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Yes, its pretty much perfect. It even has a nice variable volume boost. I balked at the price too, but its definitely worth it. I am considering getting the headbone (can use two heads with one cab) too.

12. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

Don't buy a Morley. I bought one thinking "An AB box is an AB box". I was very wrong. The Switchbone is good. I like the Lehle more. If you want something cheaper and decent check out www.loooper.com

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I couldn't find any reference to this on Radials' site. Do you have a link? It sounds interesting...

14. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

It really was a good suggestion, that is the forum where this question can best be asked....I spent a day recently on another forum where the rudeness over there is silly, and over the top so I probably over-reacted a little to your post.

Peace:BEER

15. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

The Switchbone has a ground polarity switch that handles this problem and eliminates it.

16. reverber8

reverber8 Member

I just switched from a Morley ABY to the Switchbone JX2 and am completely pleased. True the Switchbone JX2 is pricey compared to your typical ABY but the additional features are well worth the additional cost. I really dig the boost function!

17. Matt H

Matt H Guest

18. Matt H

Matt H Guest

the switchbone also costs about three times what the bigshot ABY does, both are made by the same company.

difference? bigshot is passive... whereas the switchbone is active (think buffer circuitry and boosts). depending on how much this matters to you, it's a good way to save 160 bucks.

19. jgyn

jgyn Member

I've been happy with my Whirlwind...

20. ridecat

ridecat Member

I use both of the Tonebones at the same time: the JX2 to split to my two amps, with one output into the Bigshot ABY to switch between the two inputs of my super reverb. They both work flawlessly. The boost and drag functions on the JX2 are great, and the phase switch on the Bigshot is key to use both inputs on the super at the same time. The Bigshot is also much smaller. Sometimes, the lack of LEDs on the Bigshot is an issue, but I'd rather have that than to have to power it. I also have a Loooper ABY, which is a great product, but it does not work as well for amp switching as the Radial products.