ABB- Ramblin' Man - 11/2/1972 - Hofstra University

smokinop

I saw this when it first aired on Don Kirchner's Rock Concert. The one & only gig Berry Oakley & Chuck Leavell played together. Berry died 9 days later.

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
I have always enjoyed this live version of the song.
The interplay of Bett's guitar and Level's piano had influenced my guitar and piano playing.

slogger

I saw this when it first aired on Don Kirchner's Rock Concert. The one & only gig Berry Oakley & Chuck Leavell played together. Berry died 9 days later.
I was wondering if that was chuck
Leavell on piano. I didn't think Greg could play like that but couldn't spot anybody on keys.

Average Joe

Betts' importance as a songwriter and bandleader is imho often underappreciated in ABB lore. And he sure could play a guitar. As good as the Trucks/Haynes lineup was, I missed Betts' playing

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
Heard the five man band in Tampa, Chuck was in Alex Taylor’s band who opened.

Bittersweet, Berry was a shell of his former happy self. Not his playing, his demeanor.

Still, we had to move on and we did.

I still kick myself for not going sometimes when the OG ABB came around during my time in FL.

Took them a little for granted as they playing in Central FL so often.

:(

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
Here’s an OG recording, audience low fi but the guitars are up front.

JRC4558Dude

Betts' importance as a songwriter and bandleader is imho often underappreciated in ABB lore.

100% agree.

It was Dickey's songs and leadership that kept the band going, especially after they lost Berry Oakley.

Gregg was no slouch in the songwriting department, but he wasn't the most prolific...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom