1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

ABB: Whipping Post

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by gratephulred, Oct 14, 2009.

1. gratephulred

gratephulred Member

Quick theory question about Whipping Post.

Verses and solo is over progression A - Bm - C - Bm. The solo is played in A minor (seems mostly pentatonics and dorian). Is the idea similar to the general blues idea of forcing minor over a seventh chord?

I guess I'm thrown off because the chords are only triads (not sevenths as is traditional in blues) and I'd like to think of it as ii - iii - IV - iii in G but that A is a major chord. Thanks for any insight.

2. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

You sure that the first chord is A major?

I've not listened to the tune for a while, but I'm pretty sure the A chord is minor. And if major third appears in that A chord, I'd probably still treat it as a minor, like you said about the blues minor over major phenomenon.

3. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

as long as we're talking about Whipping Post, are the verses in 3/4 (or 6/8) waltz time and the rest in 4/4?

4. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

I haven't listened or played it in a while either but I've always played the solo section as, Am-Bm-C-Bm. A Dorian all the way.

MikeMcK likes this.
  5. strat a various

strat a various Guest

I learned it when it first came out, let me test my 70s damaged brain cells ... The first chord is A minor, the whole tune is in 6/8, but the turnaround, "Sometimes I feel ... tied to a whipping post" is felt in a slow 4 over the 6/8, I don't think you need to change time signatures, but it feels like half-time or slow 2/4 over that section.
    I think the chords imply II III IV in "G", but it's not a Modal tune and I would write it in A minor and use varying scales, not locking into that F# in A minor.

Tom Gross likes this.
  6. gratephulred

gratephulred Member

Well if that's an A minor it definitely changes everything! It's a little tough for me to discern from the recording, I guess. Tabs like this one aren't very helpful for those of us without a well developed ear.

http://www.azchords.com/a/allmanbrothers-tabs-182/whippingpost-tabs-126537.html

"I think the chords imply II III IV in "G", but it's not a Modal tune and I would write it in A minor and use varying scales, not locking into that F# in A minor."

How do you mean it's not a modal tune? Don't those three chords strongly suggest Dorian? Are you saying either F (b6 in A) and F# (6 in A) should fit equally well in the context of this song? Not challenging your assertion, just trying to understand.

7. kape

kape Member

The organ is definitively playing A/ Bmin/ C/ Bmin with A on top (which turn out as A/ Bmin7/ C6/ Bmin7), a classic gospel progression.The guitars play as if the first chord was minor (or blues/penta if you like).

ichi likes this.
  8. kimock

kimock Member

Hi Strat,
    The riff at the top is in 11/8. etc. verses, solos, 6/8, but the bits in between are 11. Pretty sure.

9. strat a various

strat a various Guest

Gave up on 40 year old memories and gave it a listen. Best I can make out is that the bass line plays a repetitive line going from A to E to A, then B, C, B, A, so ... sort of outlining an A minor chord, and the organ chords and guitar lick tracks the bass line with A7, D/A, A minor 7. The bass is playing a lick, but not really defining the root of each chord.
    Timewise, Kimock, you're right, though counting it as 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 is easier for me to follow.

Listen to the bass line, organ chords and guitar lick, they form a sort of counterpoint that implies a chord progression without actually realizing the chords beyond A7, D/A, and A min7 in that section. I think we're making up the B min and C chord in our heads out of the parts of riffs, but I don't hear a definitive "B" or "C" bass note on a consistent basis.

AZJim likes this.
  10. kimock

kimock Member

Same thing, 123 123 123 1+2+. I like counting those groups starting with 1, but yeah, 4 5 would be the right count. Awesome tune huh?
    Still kicks my ass after all these years.

peace

AndyPecker, buddyrama and Bob Pollock like this.
  11. kape

kape Member

"I think we're making up the B min and C chord in our heads out of the parts of riffs, but I don't hear a definitive "B" or "C" bass note on a consistent basis.[/QUOTE]
    One of the guitars is playing a b c consistenly through the verses, and at 4:05 the whole band hammer in that line.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv3RWqFlvJs
    I don´t want to start a controversy, but chords are chords and basslines are basslines. the bassline doesn´t necessarily define the chords (though it certainly affects the way we hear things).And like i said, the organ plays that standard gospel vamp...

12. JonR

JonR Member

True.

I'm slightly ashamed never to have heard this track before, so here's my analysis (from studio version)... :)

INTRO
    8 bars of 11/8. (Simple A minor pent bass riff, doubled by guitar from 3rd bar and organ from 5th bar.)
    They play this as alternating bars of 6/8 and 5/8, which is the easiest way to feel it. Or three 3/8s and a 2/8 if you like!

VERSE
    16 bars of 6/8. Bass riff is mainly octaves of A, with a descending G-E-D-C line under the 2nd "Bm" of the 2-bar Am-Bm-C-Bm pattern. IOW, the chords are only played by the organ. This could really be characterised as entirely A dorian mode.
    It could be seen as 8 bars of 12/8, because of the harmonic rhythm: the 2x6/8 pattern of the chords and bass.

CHORUS
    Also in 6/8, tho the tempo slows slightly, from the 130 of the verse to around 120.
    More complicated structure:
    2 bars D7; 2 bars E7 (with rising bass line, E-F#-G-G#);
    Then 6 bars of alternating A and D chords (both major, tho the D works well as D9);
    Then a short C chord, and a 4 bar break - 2 bars vocal, 2 bars guitars (A minor pent riff);
    (The chorus is more like 6/8 than 12/8 because of the faster harmonic rhythm. IMO. Doesn't matter much either way.)

INTERLUDE/VAMP
    8 bars of 11/8 - bass riff as intro, but with organ and guitar spelling out the chords. The twin guitar line is in 5ths:
    Code:

6/8                     5/8                6/8
     Am          Bm/A        C/A        (D - C) 
    |0-----------2----------|3-----------5-3-2--|0- etc
    |------------0----------|1-----------3-1-0--|---
    |2----------------------|-------------------|---
    |-----------------------|-------------------|---
    |-----------------------|-------------------|---
    |-----------------------|-------------------|----
     1   .   .   2   .   .   1   .   .   2   .  |1

The bass sticks to its A-root opening riff, with D-C on those last two 8ths of the 5/8.

GUITAR SOLO
    16 bars of 6/8, on verse sequence. IOW, A dorian, but played mostly as the usual rock A minor pent - just a couple of Bs added towards the end (in a G triad arp in 14th bar). No F or F# anywhere in the lead guitar (but it's there in the organ of course).

REPEAT: Verse / Chorus / Interlude / Solo (more wide-ranging material in this one, with the F# appearing as well as the B, but also a blues Bb and a passing G#. Mostly still A minor pent tho... ;))

CODA: 8 bars running up the scale (unison, octaves):
    |A-B-|C-D-|E-F#-|G-A-|B-C-|D-E-|F#-G|-G#-A| (just that one chromatic G# at the end);
    Then the organ chords in half-speed, 1 per bar (underlined by bass roots this time): |A - |Bm - |C - |Bm - | x2;
    then - after a 1 bar vocal break - the chorus at a much slower tempo (about 106), ending in an ad lib vocal break, and the final stretched out chord, which is a dorian Am69. You can hear the guitar clearly spelling out those extensions:
    Code:
    Am6/9
    5------------------------7------------------
    ------5-----0-----------5----------------------
    ------------5--(5)-----5-----------------------
    ------------------4----------------------
    (0)----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------

This underlining of 6th and 9th suggests to me some intentionality to the A dorian sound, whether they knew the term or not. It may hark back to the Doors "Light My Fire" in this respect, with its consciously dorian Am-Bm solo vamp.

13. JonR

JonR Member

Here's those bass riffs:
    Code:

INTRO RIFF
    |-----------------------|--------------------|
    |-----------------------|--------------------|
    |-----------------------|------------5---3---|
    |5---5-3-5-3-5---5-3-5-3|5---5-3-5-3---------|
     1   .   .   2   .   .   1   .   .   2   .   |  

VERSE RIFF
    (Am)        (Bm)        (C)         (Bm)
    |-----------------------|-----------------------|
    |----7-7-7--------------|7---7-7-7---5---2-0----|
    |-----------------------|--------------------3--|
    |5-----------5-5-5-5-5--|-----------------------|
     1   .   .   2   .   .   1   .   .   2   .   .  |  

CHORUS
    D7
    |5-----------5-------0--|5-------------0-5---6--|

E7
    |------------4---4---4--|5---5---5---6---6---6--|
    |7-------7--------------|-----------------------|

A                       D7                      
    |------------5---6------|-----------------------||
    |7-------7-----------7--|----------------5---6--||
    |----0------------------|5-----------7----------|| X 3
    |-----------------------|-----------------------||
     1   .   .   2   .   .   1   .   .   2   .   .  || 

14. GBStratman

GBStratman Member

Yes, I used to play with a drummer who complained about this to no end...

15. 57tele

57tele Member

Interestingly, although I've always heard the first chord in the verse as minor, I had an ABB 'piano annd guitar' book when I was a kid (I'm sure it's long oop), and I distinctly remember the chart saying the first chord of the verse was A major. Not that those books are the authoritative source...

16. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

Even though everyone I've ever heard play that song plays it as a minor, yes, Gregg plays an A major.
    Freaked me the hell out when I first heard it...

I bought the CD with that track on it the same day I bought my first Funky Meters CD. Big day for me.

AZJim likes this.
  17. JonR

JonR Member

Damn, you're right! The whole vibe of the thing seemed so A minor/dorian to me, I didn't listen that closely to the organ.:eek:
    It's definitely playing A-Bm-C, not Am-Bm-C.
    In the 11/8 sections it's less clear, seems to be just root and 5th. But definitely A major in the verse and solo sections.
    Thanks for the heads up!

MikeMcK likes this.
  18. gratephulred

gratephulred Member

A lot of interesting discussion in here, thanks. With a song this popular, I'm sure a number of you have played it or continue to cover it in your own band. With no organ, do you typically play that Amaj or Amin as a rhythm guitarist? And if it's really Amaj, is it just a case of fitting minor over a progression that can't really be categorized as modal?

19. 57tele

57tele Member

I wonder if the vocal line is a little bit of a hint, too? I think I hear him glide up a bit sharp on the C in the melody.

20. strat a various

strat a various Guest

One of the guitars is playing a b c consistenly through the verses, and at 4:05 the whole band hammer in that line.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv3RWqFlvJs
    I don´t want to start a controversy, but chords are chords and basslines are basslines. the bassline doesn´t necessarily define the chords (though it certainly affects the way we hear things).And like i said, the organ plays that standard gospel vamp...[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, how will we decide between C6 and A min7 or B min7 and D/A?