ABB: Whipping Post

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by gratephulred, Oct 14, 2009.

1. GBStratman

GBStratman Member

With a 3-piece (gtr,bass,and drums), we used to do it first playing Am-Bm-C progression at a somewhat slow tempo. Go through the whole song, and then after the singer does his a cappella bit at the end, go back to the top using the A-Bm-C progression but with an uptempo, jazzy beat.

2. JonR

JonR Member

Depends who's reading! ;)
    C6 and Bm7 (not D) if it's not the bass player, and he has his own part (or just knows the riff);
    "Bm/A" or "Bm7/A" if there's a bass player (who doesn't have his own part), or you're playing without one (eg keys or guitar where you could play the bass yourself) - or you just want to know what the bass is.

IOW, it's either:
    A - Bm - C - Bm
    or:
    A - Bm/A - C/A(orAm7) - Bm/A
    (tho actually the bass isn't A on the 2nd Bm...:jo )
    IMO, you don't need to label the C as C6. Either you recognise the bass with C/A (or Am7) or you don't.

In the coda, on the extended version of this sequence, you don't need slash chords because the bass plays roots.

AZJim likes this.
  3. strat a various

strat a various Guest

Here's the thing about ABB band ... a lot of their stuff is riff driven, and we assemble the chord progressions in our heads to try to make theoretical sense of it all, but really, it's largely concurrent licks, and how you name the organ chords doesn't mean much except to determine the notes. The key, the modality, irrelevant. I hear the bass in A min and the organ and guitars in A. Saying A7, B min7, C6 is just as good. It's a juxtaposition of riffs.

AZJim likes this.
  4. kimock

kimock Member

Yeah, it's a safe bet those guys weren't flipping through a rolodex of cadential formulae at rehearsal.
    They were looking for parts that fit.
    The key is relevant, the resultant tonality is relevant, the style is relevant.
    The tune fkn' ROCKS!!!

The analysis is irrelevant.:D

peace.. .

AZJim and buddyrama like this.
  5. strat a various

strat a various Guest

The key is elusive. Bass is in A min, playing counterpoint. Chords are resolving to A min? Is the key "A"? Is it no sharps or three sharps? It's not A Dorian. Is it A7? Is it the key of "A"?
    Is the lick an altered A min, B min, C sort of like "Moondance"? Or is it an altered A7, D/A, A7(or G/A, or E min7/A) like the lick of "Chicken Shack"?
    I vote it's akin to "Chicken Shack", but the bass is in a Pentatonic minor blue-note mode. Against A7. It's Blues. If it's Blues in A7, then it's in A. Why do we hear A minor and want to force the B min7 and C onto it?

6. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

THis is how I've always played the chords, really as triads.

7. johnwtuggle

johnwtuggle Member

It is awesome! +10

8. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I love whipping post. What a great blues/jazz song. One of my fav tunes of all time. I was just listening to the re-release of "eat a peach" last week with a different version of Whipping post (diff than the Fillmore East version) it is killer, Both Duane and Dicky are great!

9. ichi

ichi Member

wow sorry to reup a zombie.

but i happened AGAIN this evening at a jam. Am = WRONG.

as soon as the organ comes in (ABB) you hear a BIG FAT C#. in fact, anyone who heard that and learned it correctly the first time -- Am sounds like crap. there is NO Am...until the very end...like an Am9.

the CHORD is A MAJOR. ...in most blues rock you're always playing minor pentatonics over dom7ths.
    good grief.

the time, except the intro and the little verse ending line/lick, is 12/8 NOT 6/8.
    the intro and the little verse ending line/lick in 11/8.
    count 4 if you like...you feel it (4) more, i think, during the refrain (D7...E7).
    and the tempo doesn't slow down. it just seems like it becasue the 4 is more revealed by the rather straight rock/blues section.

GOOD GRIEF.

google Whipping Post chords and see how many are WRONG. IT'S 'A' MAJOR.
    I - ii - bIII...if you must.

DO NOT PLAY Am. instantly wrong and sounds like crap.

in all honesty, SO MANY guys do it WRONG, that i did once write an arrangement, with a different, slower groove with Am... it never went to C either, just back and forth Am - Bm on the verses...without the cool in between licks. just a lazy 4/4.

SO MANY also play WRONG what's supposed to be 11/8...so i can do that in 4, too. (add a rest or note.)

AZJim likes this.
  10. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

You are a genius. Yes!

11. jkendrick

jkendrick Supporting Member

Thanks! This is a bit of an epiphany for me. Something always sounded a bit off, but I never would’ve guessed I needed to change the Am to an A major. What about the Zappa version? I may need to check that one out later. I was initially taught this tune in High School by a teacher who played mainly jazz fusion. We did the Zappa version together and he had it as straight Dorian, no A major.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  12. JonR

JonR Member

We did settle this 8 years ago, but no harm in reminding new readers... ;)

57tele and jkendrick like this.
  13. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I think my high school era rock band played this with REO Speedwagon Ridin' the Storm Out changes. Glad you set me straight.

14. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

Yep.

Snottyboy and aiq like this.
  15. clayt0n

clayt0n Member

16. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I believe the main sequence is:

A7 Bm7 C7 Bm7 :ll

Partials on the low strings with leading tones on G string, C# D E

Try and see if you like that.

Kindness please, I bruise easily at my age.

(They also got the ladder riff from Otis' Try A Little Tenderness :hide)

guitarjazz likes this.
  17. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

It's got a little Pusher thing (other than the meter), ironically.

Tom Gross likes this.
  18. AZJim

AZJim Member

What? You mean music in actual real world application somehow doesn't fit what we all learned in our theory classes? The HARRAR! I'm selling all my gear...

AndyPecker likes this.
  19. clayt0n

clayt0n Member

I believe what was decided in this thread is that if you don't apply what you learned in theory class, you are playing it wrong. The theoretical analysis in this thread is what showed the proper way to play it melodically and rhythmically.

20. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

I agree, our keyboard player told me he plays A, not Am...he's a very good musician, so I trust him - however, I am I play Am on the guitar.

People love it when we play that song, and it's funny because I never feel like we're playing it right. Go figure...bar crowds!

Jp2558 likes this.