abbey road guitar effects questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Jul 1, 2006.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

I love this album. I love the tones, and the feel of it all. I really can't seem to get over the trippy tones of the guitar on songs like something, the sun king, etc. The rhythm guitar has this slightly phased/chorus kind of tremolo kind of sound happening. I know its the leslie, but its not the typical leslie thing that everyone goes for. Its this lush swirling sound. the sound is phasey, but a subtle phase, almost like a subtle phase with a light chorus and light tremolo. No ramping, no craziness, just a nice lush tone. What can get me close to this sound? I have played leslie sims and no it doesnt do it for me. The rotosphere sounded like junk compared to this, and a real leslie not an option. I am not even 100% sure it is a leslie, it sounds like a unique phaser. Univibes are too syrupy, so what would you think could get a similiar vibe? thanks

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

I'm pretty sure it was a Leslie on slow speed, with a good mic-ing job. And I agree, the Rotosphere doesn't match it, thought it's pretty believable on fast speed.
    I haven't heard anything besides a real Leslie that does that for a guitar. Any of the new virtual B-3 instruments give access to the leslie. Has anybody?

3. onemind

onemind Member

I was reading the new Howard Massey book, "Here, There and Everywhere" in Barnes and Noble the other day, a good part of the first chapter is spent on describing how he got the other-wordly guitar sound on Sun King. If I recall correctly it was a mic'ed Leslie Cabinet, and some other tricks.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Geoff Emerick was the Engineer - Massey was the ghost writer (I think).

A real Leslie can't be beat but they also did things like recording parts at different speeds, utilizing Townsend's ADT etc., etc.
    There's a good description in the book of the three guitarists soloing on "The End".

Best, Pete.

5. onemind

onemind Member

Thanks Pete, I ran over the Amazon to 'remind myself' and the cobwebs haven't cleared yet...

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You can find Leslie cabs for reasonable money-the smaller ones that have a rotating box and a fixed woofer with no tweeter-they do sound much more 3d than any pedal.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I've had a Leslie 120 cabinet for years, when I got it it was modded to have an 8 ohm input from any amp... it's only about 75 lbs, so one person can carry it reasonably. If I were gigging, I'd get a dolly, though. Two speeds, footswitchable. I guess they are adjustable if you took it to the shop and they tweaked the motors. It was $300 in 1999 or 2000, it's a real '63. Don't get it shipped, meet the person, they do not ship well. I'M SERIOUS, I saw a mint '63 just like it destroyed 110% by UPS. Do not ship these, drive yourself!

Anyway, it's a lot of fun. I'm constantly debating whether it is stupid to have one with all of the chorus/phase/tremolo/rotosphere/RT-20 stuff out there, but I'm using it in stereo, it sounds very 3-D and fun, put a POG and Walco Chord & Note Sustainer w/ short delay for click before it and it gets a great organ tone. Additional compression is welcome, neck pickup in HB mode, tone knob 75%. No way I'm selling it, I'd rather do it the hard way... Even though it's not as convenient as a sim pedal (wasn't really too much more expensive, though), I still can't really argue that it's "not as good"... sure, it would be great to tweak the speeds and ramp on the fly (and all in 4% of the size and weight!), but I have the real thing, minus the treble rotor and internal amp and stuff, but it's still friggin' cool. Gets great chorus- y, phase-y and tremolo-ish tones with normal guitar sound, also great when you have one effect going and you want to kick it up a notch without adding something completely different, ramp up the speed. That's the best part, I'm constantly hitting the breaker, as the slowing down and speeding up in between the two motors is by far the coolest.

8. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

From what I recall, on Sun King, one guitar has standard Fender tremelo on it (at a lighter depth/faster speed) and the other has a Leslie or Vibratone. Something has a Leslie or Vibratone also on one of the rhythm guitars. I personally like the Boss RT-20 for Leslie sounds and use my '66 Super's Tremelo or a Semaphore for tremelo. I had both model Rotospheres and didn't like them either. It would be worth your while to check out the RT-20. On both songs the Leslie was played on the slow speed.

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

There are some good Leslie/guitar sounds on the Junior Wells/Buddy Guy album Hoodoo Man Blues from Mr. Buddy Guy, as well.