ABC watches (triple-sensor altimeter barometer compass)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by soli528, Apr 21, 2015.

1. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking at revisiting ABC watches; I used to have one when I did a lot of backpacking in my younger days, but they apparently are a lot smaller, more accurate, and cheaper than in the past.
    Does anyone here have experience and/or recommendations? Reasonable price, solar if possible, and ease of use are paramount. Deep water and cold temperature resistance would be a plus. I'm looking at the Casio PRG-270 and PRW-3000 and the Suunto Core models so far.
    Who uses one of these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Whichever one you can read in bright sunlight with polarized sunglasses on. I'm guessing the Suunto ain't it, but I like that display the best.

3. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

The problem with negative displays is that they look great in the photos but in real life they are very hard to see.

I have several....including the aforementioned Casio PRW-3000. I also have a Casio PAG-240, and a Casio PRW-2500.

From a functional viewpoint the PRW-3000 is the best.....but I do prefer the looks of the PAG-240.

PAG-240: [​IMG]

I even found a custom DeLaurian strap for it: [​IMG]
    PRW-3000: [​IMG]

PRW-2500: [​IMG]

And here's my Suunto Core: [​IMG]

4. germanicus

germanicus Member

I have the PRG-270

Awesome watch. No complaints. If you calibrate the altimeter to known levels it works very well in the wild. Compass works very well as well.
    The only issue is you wont get accurate temps when the watch is on your wrist. If I need to watch temps I strap the watch to my shoulder cross strap on my Osprey backpack.

5. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

For the record...what you want is the Casio PRW-3000...it's solar....it has atomic time keeping....the compass display lasts about 3 times longer than the previous Casio ABC watches....it has a very bright dual LED backlight system that's automatic....all you have to do is hold your wrist up like you would when normally looking at the time and it lights up for a full 3 seconds....no buttons to push, etc.

Now if you really want to "get into it" there is the PRW-6000...fairly new and pretty awesome:

[​IMG]

6. soli528

Thanks guys. Trandy, do you think the PRW-3000 is significantly better than the PRG270 to justify about $80 difference in price? It looks like the 270 uses the same v.3 sensor, etc... and it's on Amazon for $108.
    I initially was shooting for the PRW-3000 and had settled on the positive display version. There is a Japan-only version of it (the PRW-S3000) that has a sapphire crystal and stainless bezel, but it's up around $400.

7. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Well...the PRG-270 is similar insomuch that's it also solar.....but it's not atomic.....if that's not a big deal to you then the PRG-270 would suit your needs.

Me? I like having the atomic function as the watch sets itself every night to the Atomic Clock in Fort Collins, Colorado. One less thing to worry about.

You can find them for a reasonable price on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-ProTr...186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c0656b8a

And the back light rocks!

[​IMG]

8. germanicus

germanicus Member

How big of a deal is Atomic time?

I set my prg-270 when I got it 11 months ago, and it has not strayed from my computer's clock since then.

I don't think I have ever owned a modern watch that noticeably strayed.

9. soli528

It may be more important if it weren't solar, but yeah, I'm not as concerned about it losing time or anything.