abc-y usage hazards? amp damage?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mudbuddy11, Feb 2, 2008.

1. mudbuddy11

mudbuddy11 Member

I've got a morley abc-y switch on its way from ebay... My question is, is there any potential harm I could bring upon my amps when I plug them in. I dont think the morley has line isolators... in fact I'm sure it doesnt. My primary amp is a boogie F50... properly grounded. The next two amps that I want to but on my abc switch is a on silverface champ(ground lug has been ripped out of the original plug), and a old 50's airline... never had a ground, the cord is a two prong. Both the airline and the champ can give you a juicy little shock if you mess around just right....

Is there any damage that can occur when I plug all these together? I understand I could have ground hum... I can live with that... buy an isolator, whatever,,,, but when I plug these in, can I mess up my mesa with the voltage coming over my lines?

2. NaylorStrat

NaylorStrat Member

Personal safety dictates that you should have the Champ's 3rd prong replaced, and have the Airline properly re-wired to a grounded cord. If not, forget about ruining the Mesa, worry about ruining yourself.

Outside of that, I run my Naylor and Silverface Twin together with an ABY. I keep them both plugged into the same circuit, with their properly grounded power cords, with no problem at all.

3. mudbuddy11

mudbuddy11 Member

I can just replace the fender 3 prong with a newer 3 prong, but the old airline... do I just solder the ground lug's wire to the amp chassis?

4. mudbuddy11

mudbuddy11 Member

is it really that dangerous?

5. NaylorStrat

NaylorStrat Member

I think attaching the ground to chassis is correct, but I wouldn't do any rewiring myself unless I were sure of it. I'd take it to an experienced tech and have them do the conversion. Ungrounded amps can be very dangerous...because if the reversed polarity makes the chassis hot, YOU become the ground!

6. mudbuddy11

mudbuddy11 Member

ok, A+.. thanks for that.