ABC's Nashville in Concert

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Guitar55, May 1, 2015.

1. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of the show "Nashville' (too soap opera-ish for me), but my wife is. Of course, the participation of some musicians I highly respect, including Buddy Miller and J.D. Souther, gave the show instant credibility in my eyes.

When she said she wanted to see its performers in concert, I couldn't argue because she is so good about me dragging her to see bands she's not familiar with and she always enjoys the show. So, after a bit of a hassle with Ticketmaster, I was able to get tix for last night's show at the Beacon in NYC, the second of their tour.

I have to say that the show was very enjoyable although it was mostly on the mellow side. There were two pretty rocking numbers by two of the guys however.

The band was top-notch and devoid of the bombastic overkill so often associated with New Country. It was a straight-forward lineup of guitar, bass, drums, keys and a multi-instrumentalist (pedal steel, slide, banjo, sax and keys).

The cast members' performances were heartfelt and authentic and the audience ate them up. My favorite was 12-year-old Maisy Stella who sings with her actual sister (playing her sister). She was poised, confident and talented.

Overall, I was a bit surprised at how much I enjoyed the concert.

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Was Buddy Miller in the band? That's worth the price of admission right there though a shame you don't get to hear his great songs and standout guitar work....

3. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

I was a bit disappointed that Buddy was not on stage. He did play in the episode of the show that was basically a full concert. The guitarist in the band (Colin something??), who I believe was the musical director, sounded like he was influenced by Buddy.