• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

ABeatleC (Who else has great memories of the Beatles Anthology from 1995?)

rubbersoul

The Beatles Anthology on ABC in 1995...I can absolutely say it changed my life. I was 17 at the time.

My dad came in and said, "Hey, you should watch this documentary on the Beatles." I remember thinking, "Eh...really? I don't know." But, I watched anyway and I was transfixed. It was the most incredible and joyous sounding thing I had ever heard. And, that was just the first night of the documentary! I wasn't even really aware of the extent of their music yet. And then, they had the "countdown" to "The first new Beatles song in 25 years", which was, of course, Free as a Bird. I remember during the countdown thinking, "This is kind of a big deal, apparently." When I heard Free as a Bird, I loved it. It was so ethereal sounding with Ringo's big drum beat, George's slide guitar, and John's voice. It was at that moment that I became a huge Beatles fan, and remain so to this day. I went out the next day and bought the Anthology 1 CD and subsequently wore it out from listening to it. I simply started my journey into the music of the Beatles where the documentary started.

I had never played an instrument in my life up to that point. It had been all sports all the time for me. But the Beatles Anthology made the 17-year-old-me decide that I had to learn how to play the guitar. Which I did. Because of the Anthology, I've been playing guitar for 26 years. Now, I can't even imagine not playing guitar and enjoying music and creativity in that way. I will always remain immensely grateful for that. I look back on all of it so fondly...watching the documentary, "discovering" music, and finding a passion along the way.

Last edited:

iluvfender

Silver Supporting Member
I can imagine what it would be like to not really know about the Beatles, hear them for the first time and to be able to go out and get all of their albums and just listen to them in order for the first time. I’m an old guy. I can remember anxiously waiting for the new release. And that was a great experience in itself

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
By the time the Anthology came out, I had already been a bootleg collector for years - both audio & video - so I was fairly familiar with most of the material

But I still watched every episode like an excited little kid ;)

I also remember being pretty disappointed with “Free As a Bird”… but it was still nice to hear

My favorite quote was surprisingly from George: “Oh, yeah… we were TIGHT - that’s one thing that could be said about us.” (referring to their internal friendship). Made me smile… and still does.

Musicmaster

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a Beatles fan that was too young for the Anthology the first time around. The Anthology 1 CD doesn't do much for me, partly because of all the live stuff, but I appreciate it as a historical document. The Anthology 2 and 3 CDs have gotten a lot of play in the last year since I acquired them, some of those alternate takes are essential stuff! I still haven't seen the documentary, though, apart from some short clips on YouTube. Is it worth picking up on DVD? Is the Anthology series as essential as the Anthology CDs?

rubbersoul

I'm a Beatles fan that was too young for the Anthology the first time around. The Anthology 1 CD doesn't do much for me, partly because of all the live stuff, but I appreciate it as a historical document. The Anthology 2 and 3 CDs have gotten a lot of play in the last year since I acquired them, some of those alternate takes are essential stuff! I still haven't seen the documentary, though, apart from some short clips on YouTube. Is it worth picking up on DVD? Is the Anthology series as essential as the Anthology CDs?
Yes...I would say the Anthology series is essential viewing for any Beatles fan. You'll love it!

KRosser

I was born the year the first Beatle record came to and grew up on them. I saw them on French television before they were on Ed Sullivan and even though I don't remember it, my mom tells me I freaked out and started imitating the head-shaking "oohs".

I loved the Anthology documentary and can't wait for "Get Back" in a few days.

As much as I wanted to hate the whole idea behind "Free As A Bird", when I heard Ringo's drumming, John and Paul's voices harmonizing and then a Harrison guitar solo, every hair on my arm stood up and I lost it.

As a song, I like "Real Love" even more

Last edited:

wombat66

Been a Beatles fan since Feb 9,1964.

I didn't watch TV in the 90s (still don't). This topic reminds me that I've wanted to see the anthology series but never got around to tracking it down.

It seems the Internet Archive (archive.org) hosts it for free. Yay

etc

Ayns

Beatles fan here. Amazingly I’ve never seen Anthology, and it’s even more surprising as I know the writer/ co-director.

My favorite quote was surprisingly from George: “Oh, yeah… we were TIGHT - that’s one thing that could be said about us.” (referring to their internal friendship). Made me smile… and still does.
I remember some quote from McGuinn how he envied that . Something like ,

If someone said something about Harrison to Lennon , Lennon would of punched them while if someone said something to Crosby about McGuinn Crosby woulda laughed

MomentFX

I first got into the Beatles when I stumbled upon the weekend-long Canadian radio broadcast in 1981 or 1982 or so (Edit: looks like it was this). I don't remember the station, but they played all of the albums and and taped as much as I could (with my little tape recorder setting next to my clock radio with the flip numbers). I liked them alot for a couple of years, then got into other stuff.

So when I saw The Beatles Anthology 14 or 15 years later, it was a great way to revisit their catalog and to learn some stuff about them that I never knew. In the youtube age, there would have been nothing exciting about the documentary, but in 1995, it was very cool and I was pretty excited about it.

One of my favorite quotes was Ringo talking about how they'd record under the influence of different chemicals and rhink this is really great. Then they'd listen to the recordings the next day and notice immediately that they have to record that again.

Cactus Bob

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't listen to the Beatles as much as I did in the 60's although they were always in my heart and sometimes on the TT. When I watched the Anthology for the first time at it's release I cried like a baby at the start seeing the images of John with and the boys with "in My Life" playing. It took me right back to that sad moment on December 8th 1980.

Last edited:

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Good for the OP. Now he knows how I felt on 2/10/1964.
I was one month shy of 9 years old. I was a big little Richard fan and the Chipmonks. I dropped the Chipmonks that evening 2/10/64. A couple of things were going on. Everyone,(The family) would watch this variety that would sling a variety of talent. Sunday evening culture. All young people were aware something big was going to be on and it was these Beatles. I don't remember am air play of them. I bet there was the next day Monday. BUt the main thing going on was the abhorance of most parents. THat crap. Long hair music. Just like Marc Knophler/Sting song. They took off pretty big and every album was great and better thatn the previous. And every album was a bitch slap against any critics. THey brought us the music and so much more came with the package.

wombat66

So when I saw The Beatles Anthology 14 or 15 years later, it was a great way to revisit their catalog and to learn some stuff about them that I never knew. In the youtube age, there would have been nothing exciting about the documentary, but in 1995, it was very cool and I was pretty excited about it.
Well I just watched the first anthology episode for the first time, "July '40 to March '63", and maybe its because I'm such a big fan and an old fan, and maybe because I'm particularly fascinated with the early stuff, but I thought the documentary was just great, totally gear, and a good step or three above standard youtube doc quality. I'm digging it as much as Scorsese's Living in The Material World feature on George.

Attitude Era

As much as I wanted to hate the whole idea behind "Free As A Bird", when I heard Ringo's drumming, John and Paul's voices harmonizing and then a Harrison guitar solo, every hair on my arm stood up and I lost it.
The stretch of “Free as a Bird” with the guitar solo was the height of The Beatles‘ powers, rivaled only by the magnitude of the “Hey Jude” outro.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom