Ableton Live or other DAWs

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MoPho, Jan 15, 2008.

1. MoPho

MoPho Formerly known as tripp2k. Silver Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    I've purchased the hardware for my home studio after taking a leap that I would find a cost effective DAW/sequencer. The MIDI keyboard came with Ableton Live 6 Lite and it is much more intuitive than what I thought would be the winner, Reaper.

Line 6 UX2
    m-audio Axiom 49
    m-audio BX5a

I don't have aspirations of being invited as a session musician to drop my guitar playing into someone else's recording but I would like to be able to ultimately achieve one of my dreams of recording a CD of my work. I don't need to be compatible with anything except being able to ultimately pop out MP3s.

I'm about to drop $500 bucks on a DAW that will do a fine job of recording my guitar, bass and vocals + support sequencing for keys and drums. Please share you experience on whether Ableton Live 7 is the right place to do it or do I have better, more intuitive options for my PC (XP).

2. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Jan 4, 2002
    The Greater San Jose Metroplex
    I'm no one's idea of an expert, but I tried Digital Performer (way too complex and frustrating) and some freeware or smaller DAWs (not enough features and versatility) before ending up on Live 6/7 on MacOSX. Which I love - very intuitive, lots of power, lets you concentrate on making music, not learning the interface. I'm using a lot of M-Audio stuff - they seem to provide the best mix between cheap/easy/productive of all the companies out there. And Ableton is the software equivalent, from my experience. Big thumbs up.