1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

ableton live...second try

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by soulohio, Sep 28, 2006.

1. soulohio

soulohio Member

Hi...I posted this last nite and today it's gone. anyhoo...i am thinking about getting the full version of ableton live and using it to play with music. my needs for recording are that i can get some loops going, record a bit of guitar and vocals on there and do some "acid" type things. i also thought that i could use Live to do a bit of DJ work in between bands or maybe on an off nite in my sleepy little town. anybody got any suggestions or opinions?

i am not tied into a laptop format, although i do have a HP-Compaq nc4200. i am not crazy about the laptop....what type of Mac or Winbox do you run Live on? the new Macs are mucho dollars..

2. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

My answer round two. BTW, I asked Brian what happened to the post last night, he said he was doing maint. on the server and a few post were accidently lost. No Worries.

A friend recorded soundclips for my site using Abelton Live 5, also he uses it for DJ gigs as well. I do know that he has it on a Windows based laptop. He also does a lot of recording. He uses a Motu Traveler with it and gets exceptional results. The benefit of it being on his laptop is that he can go remote without a lot of hassle.

3. soulohio

soulohio Member

is there a preference for Live between platforms...Mac vs. Windows? Thanks for the response!

4. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

He said that they work with either Mac or PC, but, if you have the new Mac you need Live 6.

Hope this helps

5. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Surprisingly, I've found the new mac's to be cheaper than the Dell PC counterparts. Spec out the new iMac to Dell's iMac 'killer', XPS M2010 (starts at $2999), $1500 for the 20" iMac.

Anyhow, I'd recommend running off a portable desktop if I were you, rather than the laptops. I don't much like the way laptops handle intensive audio and looping. If it's all synthesized instruments, it won't be too bad, but when you work with audio and samples, and looping audio/samples there can be a memory intensive issue.

I run it through my 24" iMac, and couldn't be happier. I run a Belkin High-Speed USB Hub to power my MIDI/USB Controllers that way the bus isn't affected or bogged down for power. Other devices hooked up are the firewire harddrive and the presonus firebox via firewire. Both are powered via walwarts.