Ableton Push + Live 9 Suite users

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by rsm, Feb 20, 2015.

1. rsm

rsm Member

Who's using it? Thoughts? Likes, dislikes, tips and tricks?

Favorite drum racks? Max for Live things you've found and use?

I've been watching and reading all I could find...been on the fence for a long time, so they will probably now release the updated version (yes I know Live 9.1 is latest), hopefully it will be some time before a Push 2.0 is released...

I just ordered mine today...PSA nice deal at Sweetwater.

2. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

I really like mine, and I think Max4Live is a strong point, if you're controlling external gear as I am.

I don't really have any tips or tricks--it's pretty straightforward.

The PUSH itself is a really well-made piece of gear.

3. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce Supporting Member

Push isnt even 2 yet so i doubt well see an update anytime soon.

i love the push, but i dont use it to its full potential. i mainly use it as a keyboard - its a very unique instrument in its own right. Max is one of those things i really wanted to get into, but there is too much learning to do to really exploit its potential. there are lots of nice devices though, lots of free ones on the m4l forum. This is one of my favorites for crazy polyrhythms.

honestly though, the only thing i use that comes with suite is the glue comp and sampler. i used to get into operator, but i have too many awesome 3rd party softsynths/plugins to bother with the native devices too much anymore.

Live is a great DAW though, and youll be glad you spent the coin, Push included.

4. rsm

rsm Member

Thanks!

Yes, the learning curve seems daunting, so much in this kit it will take time to learn what it does and how to use it...can't wait!

5. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

I was up and running and making meaningful music within an hour--you'll be fine. I did take the macprovideo course (not the Jordan Ruddess one), which was helpful.

6. rsm

rsm Member

Thanks!

It was delivered today. Unfortunately, my new computer is still on its' way, due in a few days.

7. warren3333

warren3333 Gold Supporting Member

Any more users thoughts ?

8. lavinci

lavinci Member

I’ve been using Ableton Live and push for several years....
    It was agame changer in how I think and create music....

Ableton Live with Push is a very very big palette

I went overboard a few times creating elaborate and complex sets....Now, it’s simple

I’m using Ableton for midi control, I have it send PC and CC message to two external rack mounts...
    - super bass station and a TC Fireworx...

I’ve built some crazy drum kits .... but my favorite now, drum rack du jour, is Earth drum made by Elephant

The other track, I run, contains my favorite pads.....

Some of my favorite devices are:
    Dub machine
    PSP pcm-42
    Granulator
    Sampler
    Sonic faction has several cool....

Spent the summer away from Ableton, but have recently found new inspiration coming back to it again...

Digitalman likes this.
  9. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

Push 2 is really amazing. It takes a pretty substantial investment of time to get up to speed though. I've had it since last Christmas and have just in the last month or so dedicated myself to learning it - only scratching the surface right now. I can't wait to get to the point where I can bring some live guitar playing into the mix - I'm just not there yet.

I really like the Selector drum rack in Ableton - it's great to be able to quickly audition so many drum sounds and find one that fits the track.

I'm finding with Push that you have to go with the flow and make music - don't get sidetracked but adjusting and fine-tuning every little thing. If you come up with something that is worth the time you can always go back and fine tune.

10. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I've been a Live/Push convert since the beginning of this year. My musical composing and performing abilities are light years ahead of where I was a year ago. Push, with Live turns the DAW into an instrument.
    The emphasis is being able to perform your compositions live, on the fly by live looping and launching sequences. Which is something that I couldn't do in my Garageband/Logic days. I use many elements from M4L, Sampler, Looper, and I make my own drum racks based on Addictive Drums sets. I found the stock drum sounds in Live are a bit too dancy for me. I upgraded to Suite because Sampler was included and it allowed me to import some EXS instruments and samples from Logic.

I almost don't want to talk about Live and Push too much. It's like a little secret society that has left most DAW users behind. Lol. Total game changer.

lavinci likes this.
  11. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

:cool:
    I can see the potential of this unit , the software package is the thing that keeps
    many budgeted musicians at bay and not jump on it :confused: , I am one of the many who
    has to wait and see .
    ;)
    Hopefully it will prove a stable platform and the unit and software will drop in price if
    sale's numbers are high enough .
    :aok
    I like the midi automation it sports to trigger anything - sound clips , video clips , midi
    tracks , midi lighting FX in real time on a giant monitor screen - - PG & CC changes with
    a wireless ring ( I have ) to trigger all the above .
    The list goes on and on :dude.

:band
    I'm getting a taste of automation via my T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3 X's ability to allow me to
    prerecord a track/song or take a loop I did live and let me not only play along side with all
    the FX changes for guitars , harps and vocal done in advance and just get into the song live
    and record my live playing with all the live FX changes I make live with my prerecorded wave
    file . Moving from one instrument to another and looping is not easy but I'm getting more fluid

I think to have a Push 2 capture something like this in a solo act would definitely be super
    cool live to mash up .

Watching what is being done with hit songs by DJ's says there is a market/room for this kind of
    performing and marketing of one's original music .

Time for musicians to take advantage of this off the shelve technology and use it , why should a
    none musician have all this to use is my take :idea .

EZ :

HR

12. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

:cool:
    ¡ These are soloist's who knows how to use off the shelf technology !

;)
    This is another example of using this technology like the Push 2

:hiP I think these guys kick a$$ .

I'm headed in this direction just need some midi trigger pads
    I have the midi hardware . Maybe a 16 pad trigger with 49 keys
    is where I'm heading , mod & bender wheel should fill the bill .

EZ :

HR

13. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

I have used Ableton Live since 2.5 days so I'm a little bit biased. Anyway, I would look for better foot controller based systems, have not found one yet that is nice to use live. A Push for the feet kind of system, at least a matrix layout of switches...

14. Modulator

Modulator Member

Maybe a DDR (dance dance revolution) type controller could be hacked to work with Live through Max4Live? If you're DIY inclined, an arduino, some momentary switches, and a Max patch could be routed to anything midi. Maybe the Softstep could be used like a controller. Voodoo Lab's controller could probably be programmed to use to run Live through midi as well.

To anyone interested in Push (or Push2), I was surprised at how little I needed to look at the computer screen to do anything. When I looked over, my screen was in screensaver mode, and I still didn't need to look at the screen, even when adding instruments. 3rd party plugins might need some setting up. But I rarely use it and the guitar at the same time, mainly when using my synths.

15. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

Yes, as a trained EE I should just sit down and reprogram something using a Raspberry PI but I'm lazy and looking for something solid that is matrix-based and could stand gigging.

16. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Kieth McMillen 12 step??

17. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

The Keith McMillen foot controller products have some promise. But I'm really thinking of a matrix style foot controller, similar to Push or the Akai Live controller. With those you could select individual cells or the whole row which makes live performance more flexible to control compared with a typical MIDI foot controller that is either based on a pedalboard layout or a keyboard layout.

18. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

I'm a little off the OP's intention here - using LIVE Suite(since v.6.0) and a Novation LaunchPad Pro
    Don't need the "instrument" aspect of an expensive PUSH as I'm very comfortable being mainly guitars and keyboards here
    The LP Pro allows finger drumming if you're so inclined - but it's primary function(among several others) is firing off clips/scenes in performance

peace

19. Modulator

Modulator Member

gotcha. so something literally like a foot push. Sounds like something that should be a kickstarter project, I'd be interested in one, but I would think anything beyond 5x5 could get out of control for me. Modules that snap together like foot lego switches would be cool for unlimted size (up to 256x256). haha, pretty cool foot light show too I bet.