? About 5751 tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mvilland, Oct 13, 2005.

1. mvilland

mvilland Guest

Has anyone herd of these? THe only thing I have herd is that Stevie ray Vaughan liked these. Can anyone tell me about these?

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

The have 70% gain compared to a 12AX7:

I love them for taming down an amp and they seem to impart a wonderful tone with some of the nice vintage 5751 ;) I always have many on hand.

Tube Gain

12AX7 = 100

5751 = 70

12AT7 = 60

12AZ7 = 60

6072/12AY7 = 44

5965/12AV7 = 27

12AU7/6189/5814 = 20

3. mvilland

mvilland Guest

That helps greatly...thanks!

4. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

I use them in my Dr. Z and I really like them. They've got a nice smooth tone and they give me a bit more headroom. You can get the JAN GE 5751s for about $18 and up.

jz

5. davebc

davebc Member

I use the RCA Command series in both my Vics.I love them, slightly less gain, very round sweet top, a really great sounding tube in this amp in the tweed design circuits!

6. bukowski

bukowski Member

I use these too I'm with jzguitar, use in my mazerati ,the ge 5751 is a really good tube so is the rca blackplate ,command seires is a very sweet awesome tube a little pricey and getting harder to find if you want head room and a softer top end this is the tube

7. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I like 5751 for some "12AX7" applications where I want slightly lower gain. I have a preference for older black-plate, 3-mica versions more (the JAN-GE 5751 is a bit too stiff-feeling). Favorites are RCA and GE (JG-5751WA), then Sylvania 5751WA (which is a slightly brighter and deficient in low end compared to RCA and GE).

I have often heard of the legendary SRV's legendary 5751. I wonder which type He preferred? Anyone ever heard anything more specific?

- T

8. davebc

davebc Member

You could make the point that Stevie's tone (sonically speaking) is the definitive 5751 tone, (his touch, feel and mojo aside).
    It's a very round, clean, singing tone, slightly but noticeable less hair than a 12ax7.
    The 5751 was a great missing link discovery for me. If they hadn't already come stock in my Victorias, I probably would have never tried them.(close minded ****)
    But, now I can't imagine using anything else in those amps. It's one very sweet singing tube,clean and singing.

9. LaChapell

LaChapell Member

The 5751 is an outstanding tube IMO. The 3-mica spacer variants are great for keeping microphonics under control as well...A tube that I play with to smooth out the sometime brittle character of the 5751 is the 12AT7, sort of a higher gain 12AY7.

Amp factors:

12AX7 = 100
    5751 = 70
    12AT7 = 60

10. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Where does everyone like to use the 5751? First gain stage or for every 12AX7?

11. mkg

mkg Member

In a Fender-type two channel amp, V2, if you play through the 2nd channel most of the time.
    Both my amps are single channel. I use a 5751 in V1 of the Allen HF w/Nuts.
    davebc, where are finding those command series RCAs, if I may ask?
    Feel free to PM if you'd rather.

12. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

A 5751 is supposedly a matched dual triode that was made primarily for military applications where matched triodes and ruggedness were needed.

I've read several places that SRV preferred a 5751 in the phase inverter slot of his Fender amps, which kind of makes sense for his sound....the power amp would be cleaner with slightly less drive. He didn't seem to like power amps and/or speakers giving up too early.

13. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Member

I like 'em !:JAM
    V1 in my brown deluxe.
    P/I in tweeds.

JJ :D

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you look at the tubes, the original spec called for 3 of the mica spacers (the things that hold the guts in place) and matched triodes. That means they should be less microphonic and more durable for high gain amps and amps that are being carried around a lot. Stevie beat on his stuff pretty good, so the 5751 would have been a better choice than a 12AT7 for his sound.

15. Blueser

Blueser Member

I tried them in my Rambler, and my UG30, and quite honestly I hate them. I thought they made the amps sound anemic.

16. go7

go7 Member

I just did a thread ,"Finally got my Deluxe Reverb quiet".Put a 5751 in V3 Instant cure. I have been using these for years and have a good stash .They are my go to tube for problems solving and improving tone. I love them ,very usefull in the right place.Glad to hear others are using them. Great for solving reverb problems.

17. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Yeah they have their applications. I use one in V2 of my HRDx with a 12at7 in the PI slot. You just never know what tube will sound good where until you try it and that one works really well in that spot.

18. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Wel with all the talk I put one of these(a "regular" GE 5751,not triple mica) in the V-1 of my JSX. Of all the tubes Ive tried in there(and thats a LOT of vintage old stock) this one is great! I wasnt after gain reduction and noticed little seeing as its a very high gain amp anyways. At any rate its much less microphonic than many of the long plates Ive tried that I liked and gave the amp an instantly noticably less bright warmer top end. Go figure I tried almost every tube you can think of in there and for various reasons had issues using them. This seemingly insipid 5751 is a winner!

19. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

They sounded thin in my Marshalls, but actually worked well in my 66 super.

20. Voxy Foxy

Voxy Foxy Member

had one in my ghia, and it made the amp really fendery IMO.

with 2 12ax7s I was able to get back into vox/marshallesque territory!

I'm not even sure if it has 70% of the gain a 12ax7 has...my ghia wouldn't break up at ALL with it.