about adjusting action on a fixed wrap tail bridge - help requested, please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tone4days, Apr 16, 2016.

1. tone4days

tone4days Member

i have a PRS Ted McCarty DC245 soapbar ... it has a wrap tail nonadjustable bridge/tailpiece

the high E string and the B string seem to be hitting the frets slightly - but definitely noticeably - when played above the 7th fret or so ... the other strings seem to be fine all over the neck ... the intonation seems fine all over the neck

how do i raise the action a little? will adjusting the action mess with the (nonadjustable) intonation?

i hadnt actually played this guitar in a few years but i know it wasnt doing this when i last played it

it had been stored in its case in a temperature controlled area in an upright position, tuned to pitch

could it be a slight up bow in the neck?

what else should i check?

any advice is very welcome - thanks

2. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Slack the strings a bit and raise the large flathead screw holding the bridge on the right (treble) side only. I would raise it a half turn and see if that helps. It should.

To protect the guitar and the screw, put a cloth on top and use a large flathead screwdriver. Find the slot thru the cloth and back it out a half turn or a 180. This will not change intonation.

Change strings as well. Old strings buzz anyway.

tone4days likes this.
  3. tone4days

tone4days Member

thanks
    will try this

anyone else with related things to add on this general topic, please feel free to chime in
    cheers
    t4d

4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Since it has been stored for years, check the neck angle as well.

Fret the low E at the 1st fret and at the same time with your right hand at the 22nd fret. If there is a big gap under the 9 th fret, the truss rod may need to be tightened some. Be careful if you have never done this. A quarter turn does a lot.

tone4days likes this.
  5. shadyg

shadyg Supporting Member

I agree with "shallbe", but the Very First thing you should is change the strings, then keep the guitar tuned to pitch and out in a humidity controlled room for two or three days before making any adjustments.

tone4days likes this.
  6. tone4days

tone4days Member

yeah, i was concerned about the truss rod as a prime suspect but figured with it having been tuned to pitch and stored in an upright position, that i might be ok .... but yeah, it maybe needing a tweak ... will check that too