About Fuchs mods....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by axpro, Jul 29, 2006.

1. axpro

axpro Member

Hey guys, I am about 99% of the way to getting Andy to mod up a YBA-1 mutt amp i have. It's been a project amp for years, so no biggie on the "vintageness" of it.

Heres the question.

REVERB!!!!??????

I currently have 2 amps with no reverb, and instead use a Peavey valverb in the loop (Pretty good verb/trem effects)

I love tube reverb, and trem (when i can get it) but ordering a Fuchs mod, I am not sure whether to get the loop (useful pretty much only for reverb in my case.... not an "effects guy") or get the Fuchs solid state reverb circuit. I have 100% faith that Andy's circuit would sound killer, but was wondering what other had doe in the same situation. THe convenience of a built in verb is intruiging... but the loop is less expensive, and i already have a tube verb.

DECISIONS DECISIONS!!!!! :crazy

THanks in advance

2. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Word on the street is the YBA-1 is a great platform for a Fuchs mod. I'd go for the Reverb. It's a great circuit. I'm not a big reverb user but I do use the Fuchs reverb quite a bit. I haven't used the effects loop myself (I have no real use for it - no rack effects).

That's my $0.02 :)

3. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I'd get both. If you don't get all the options, you may regret it later. I love the reverb in my ODS, and am sure I'll find use for the loop eventually.

4. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I'd just go for the loop. You can use any reverb you want, as well as any other effects. I have a bassman (no native verb) mod and I think if I had it to do over again thats what I'd do. Not that it doesn't sound good but there are a lot of good sounding reverbs out there now and probably more on the way.

If you don't mind spending the extra dough though its not like its gonna hurt having both the loop and the verb which is what I have. One less pedal to haul around, if you play the amp out.

5. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I got both on my bassman mod.
    I dig the reverb.

6. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Andy's reverb is gorgeous sounding to me. Go ahead and get that feature. If I were you I'd be getting that FX loop. too.... I wanted their tremolo but Andy said that it just could not get squeezed in the chassis...

It will be in the next project.... That ODS Mod was one of the best decisions I did....Looking forward to another one!

7. Tom Gross

BTW - I'm starting to get to the idea that my Fuchs mod is my best sounding amp.

Could be an Opal in the emporium soon....

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Reverb is WAY cool in Fuch's mods.

9. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Man, I HAVE gotten that idea already! I keep gravitating towards my Fuchs Mod! It is full of great tones! And talk about versatility! I am SO glad to have made that move to do that project. I'll say this AGAIN; I could do the same thing 20 times over!...

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I guess I'm in the minority here. I think the SS reverb Andy uses is OK, but not in the same league as a tube reverb with full sized tank. I think the PV is among the top 2 or 3 reverbs I've used. For your application, if the form factor works, I'd just get the effects loop.

11. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Supporting Member

The only "issue" with the YBA's, is that the YBA-1 has a short box, and therefore a short reverb tank is the only thing that would fit. We chose a nice sounding pan, but a longer pan is always preferred by most folks when possible. An outboard is cool too, if you order the loop. I use a Lexicon or an old SPX-90, which can sound excellent. Nothing wrong with that Peavey reverb unit neither, just one more thing to carry.

Thanks for the nice comment Tom Gross ! Mucho-appreciated. Say "hi" top the charming Mrs Gross for me ;) too.

12. Tom Gross

Thank you, my friend, for the great tone.

And Karen says "hi" back to you. ;)

Hey!!?!

13. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I would get the reverb/loop. I have a '66 YBA-1 mod thats about 3 years old now and it is awesome. It has the short pan like Andy said, but sounds fine. I use an Intellifex with mine most of the time, so the onboard reverb doesn't get used that often. However, if I ever use it w/o the Intellifex I'll be glad I have the reverb though.

14. axpro

axpro Member

Glad we could all agree! :D

after much thought, i decided to go with the loop only, as this will mainly be a recording amp. As a recirding engineer friend put it,
    "a built in reverb would be cool, yeah! but chances are, we are going to put any one of 15 other reverbs on the tracks! the loop would work more for ya dude!"

Deep......
    Thanks for allt he help, the ball is in the esteemed Mr. Fuchs court at the moment, and i predict UPS will be getting some of my money VERY soon!

15. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

well it looks like i'm about to join the fuchs club..

my best friend moved to hawaii last week-
    calls me up last night from dan's guitar shop in honolulu

he bought two ODS's and is sending me one!

i think it will be the killer amp for my church gig...he got the slx version and is sending me the non slx version

i couldn't just let him do that, so i am sending him my mojave peacemaker to reciprocate...yes my beloved tone machine

he's all about van halen and he will have more opportunites to open her up than i could... and it will remain in the family so to speak..plus he can expose hawaii to the mighty 'Maker with his insane bradshaw rig he is building

...and i still stay in the mojave family with my coyote...;)

so i have a 1x12 with an EV to get me in the door....but what is the speaker flavor of the month with this amp---i want BF clean with sparkle and chirp on the leads---and how much am i missing w/ no slx?

16. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Scottl can answer this question best but I'll throw my $0.02 on the table. I had an opportunity to play a pre-SLX ODS-50 and a SLX ODS-50 side by side (both production amps - not mods). Both were great sounding amps to be sure but I much preferred the SLX personally. The SLX sounded a touch more open and had more sparkle. I'm sure there were other differences to be noted but I these I remember. I bought the SLX. While the differences could be described as being slight improvements at various points in the circuit the cumulative effect was significant to my ears. If you're going to like the Fuchs ODS you'll most certainly like the pre-SLX. ...you'll just like the SLX more. It's worth the coin to have the SLX upgrade done IMHO. YMMV. :)

17. scottl

scottl Member

I can't answer this one in public...... :messedup

I'll just say that evolution never sleeps....... :AOK

18. axpro

axpro Member

Wierd... my question seems to havfe dissapeared!?!?!?!

I had asked, were the New Fuchs Mods equivelant to SLX?

19. drunkdolphin

drunkdolphin Member

Hey Big guy,(DMC)
    Why not wait to see/hear the train45 or the blackjack when they come in???
    Dunkie

20. axpro

axpro Member

Dunki, you drunk BASTICH!!!!!

I really have a yen for an ODS...

though i am not saying it can't have friends!

I am kind of smitten with the train....
    :D