About Fulldrive2 and Eternity

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fu78, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Fu78

Fu78 Member

Anyone own that two pedals? Which better for blues and rock?

2. madscientist

madscientist Member

I've owned two Fulldrives (10th anniversary and the new Mosfet) and I own a newer Burst E and, when it arrives later in the week, a HW Roadhouse E.

Both pedals are good for blues and rock. I prefer the E, as it gives me some really nice lead tones when riding on the neck pup, and good moderate OD tones when using the bridge. Cleans up well when you roll down the volume knob and it is quite smooth. I'm really excited to try the Roadhouse, so I'll compare that after I get it. The E is a blues/fusion machine and could probably do some rock, but it would probably have to be paired with something else to get a higher gain type of thing.

Fulldrive has a lot of tonal options. Like the E, it can easily do blues/fusion type stuff, but it doesn't have the umph for higher gain classic rock. The compcut mode excels as a clean boost or to goose another OD pedal. I didn't find many tones that suited my ear (Vintage mode was too muddy, FM mode was too bright), but that doesn't mean that you won't. It's much less money than the E, so it's not as big a risk.

Both are well constructed and worth the money.

3. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Both are great pedals. The newer mosfet FD II is very nice sounding....and the boost feature sounds better than ever on the new model.

However I do like the Eternity better ( i have a burst and a newer stock black one )....

The burst is a bit woodier, open and airy than any setting on an FD and the standard eternity has a bit more low end and gain in general. Subtle differences for sure and both versions of the eternity sound fantastic. I'm always torn on which eternity to have on my board at any given time !

I think the FD cuts the bass more than an eternity in general ( like all tube screamer based pedals do - that can be a good or bad thing depending on what sound you want )

I own both and the eternity is on my board and the fulldrive isn't so that should tell you my preference.

If my eternity was lost or stolen I could very happily gig with the fulldrive however.... And I sometimes still bring just the fulldrive a phaser and small analog delay to some small gigs for a real simple grab and go set up.

At the end of the day you can't go wrong with either....if you go with the fulldrive run it on 18 volts. It sounds even better this way.

4. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

Is there a difference between the 10th Anniversary Edition and his newer mosfet model? This guy does more changes than I do with my underwear. :moon

5. mrMix

mrMix Supporting Member

Had both sold the FDII MOSFET - the E suited me better.

6. Andre357

Andre357 Member

nice equipment in your signature man.....nice simple rig.......

7. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I guess I'm in the minority here. I just put my 'burst E on fleabay and still have my FDIIMosfet on my board. I replaced the E with a MP LGW and couldn't be happier. I dug the E for a couple of years but I guess my ears are changing cuz it started sounding too thin and kind of "hard rock" to my old ears (which is probably the reason most people like them) but for our alt. country style the FDII and LGW just seem to work better.
    Still the Eternity is a great pedal and I hope it goes to a happy home.:AOK

8. madscientist

madscientist Member

I think so, but I don't remember. I remember reading a quote by Fuller that it was different in some way, maybe a pot value changed or something. I did like the blue mosfet better than the 10th though.

9. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

I'd be interested to know what you liked better about the newer version.

10. woude

woude Member

I own the anniversary fulldrive & a burst eternity from last summer (ptp?). I like both a lot, I don't really like one more than the other. The Eternity has this woody, sharp, airy (thin?) tone and the fulldrive a more soft, fluid, smooth (muddy?) tone. Still, they can be dialed in very very close. The Fulldrive sounds good whenever I use it, the Eternity (because of it's midrange and highend) doesn't imo. The fulldrive gives you more for your money, it's more versatile. The Eternity is really good, but it's overpriced imo. (A fair price imo would be around 160 dollars)

11. madscientist

madscientist Member

I thought the newer mosfet sounded a bit more open than the 10th anniversary. A bit more treble in the right places and the boost function was a bit more pronounced when engaged.

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I haven't had a fulldrive in a while. It's a great pedal in the TS9 family. The Eternity is more natural sounding to me. It makes the guitar and amp sound like they are cranked whereas the fulldrive makes the guitar and amp sound like a fulldrive. I have eternity clips on my demo page (www.sheetsofsound.net/demos.html)

13. woude

woude Member

I always found the exact opposite. The fulldrive can be set up to sound much more natural, for example in compcut mode which is a sort of clean boost. The Eternity has a much stronger character that cannot be dialed or switched out and does not blend with every amp and guitar.

14. jzucker

Disagree 100%. Show me a clip where the fulldrive sounds as natural as this:

http://www.sheetsofsound.net/demos/Lovepedal/eternity.wmv

15. woude

woude Member

I wish... recording gear is next on my 'to buy list'

I don't mean to step on your toes, but although I like your clips a lot, that specific shifted midrange and articulate aggressive highend are not natural sounding to me. :) The Eternity adds that! No amp I've played sounds like that, it's the pedal. I like it, it's exactly what sold me on the Eternity, but in my opinion it's not natural. I have them here side by side... a 'clean' boost like the compcut mode on the FD just doesn't change your eq as much as the Eternity does. It's just your signal... but louder. The fm mode and vintage mode is another story offcourse, but the fm mode also sounds more natural to me than the Eternity. (although not as articulate and fun to play! :) )

16. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Aren't most eternity's different? I've never owned one, but it seems that there are always different variations being sold. Roadhouse E, Burst, Tour Pro E etc. Maybe that's where there are differences in opinions?

Jack, nice clip! I have to say, I think a FD2 can sound just as "natural", but with a different flavor. After all it appears the E is just a variation on Jack's Son of a Screamer. I'll admit though, the E does sound pretty darn sweet!

17. jzucker

I thought the eternity was based on a treble booster?

18. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I'd say more of a tube screamer.........but the glass knob acts as a tone knob for the most part, but at higher setting as a treble booster as well it seems.

Also the volume/db output can be quite high when wanted with high settings on the volume knob....I'd guess two to three times the output of a typical tube screamer. So you can pummel the front end of an amp if wanted or set it very midly for classic pleasing tones. Makes for a very versatile pedal. Very musical sounding and pleasing to the ear overall.

19. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Hey Jack, maybe your right. I've never owned one before and just got my info from this site:

http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2008/01/lovestuff-ecstacy-overdrive.html

I've never built one and haven't tried an E, but someone posted that they did and it sounded just like their burst E. So it's probably wrong of me to "assume" without actually building one and comparing it to the original.

Your clips do sound great though! I would like to try an E out someday, but I manage to pull decent enough tones from the pedals I have now. Plus, I'm really gassing for an Axe-fx. Thats probably why I'm trying to convince myself that the FD2 sounds as natural, that way I'll can apply the $300 to the Axe-fx :D

20. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Apparently, the Eternity seems to be based on Jack Orman's Son of Screamer. I would venture to say that a large majority of boutique pedals are indeed clones of previously published schematics (Jack Orman, Craig Anderton etc.). The plus side is that most of them are using high quality components, cool paint jobs, and basically doing the hard work that most of us do not have either the time or energy for.