? about holy grail.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by adelphi710, Nov 25, 2005.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

how badly does the EHX holy grail suck tone? if i have a nice line buffer (say an axess bs-2) will it make up for it? thanks,
    alex

2. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    The new ones are true bypass so there's not an issue in bypass mode. I haven't noticed any tone loss with the HG on -- just a lot more reverb.

3. oxtone

oxtone Member

Mine crapped out after sitting in the box for months, unused. I decided to try it at a gig, and when I turned it on, no signal! I took it out of my pedal chain. My amp tech found the Switch had gone bad, just sitting in the box.

I don't use it anymore, although I had a new Switch installed.

4. ABKB

ABKB Member

Have not noticed any signal loss off (TB) or on. Being an EH product, durability will always be a worry. Some last forever, some die in the box as happened to oxtone.

5. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Supporting Member

I haven't noticed it sucking tone. What I have noticed is a very high pitched hiss. It's not out in front but it's there. I run my amp an 18 watt clone with the volume between 6 & 9. Hmm, what if 6 turned out to be 9? I wouldn't mind.

6. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Mine sounds absolutely great and I'm a true old Fender reverb freak. Seriously, I really love mine, it's quiet and sounds fantastic. No tone suck whatsoever that I can hear. Maybe I just got luck with mine as I hear others complain about various aspects of theirs from time to time but what can I say, mine is to me the best sounding non-tube/spring reverb unit I've played to date. If mine were stolen, I'd either track down and kill the thief or if I couldn't find him, buy another immediately.

[​IMG]

8. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Mine never sucked tone and sounded great. It was noisey and the knob was always kind of loose. It stopped working last night after about three months.

I would say the quality and reliability are very poor in my experience.

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I've had two and both failed under warranty. I set up the exchange to have it repaired but never followed through, so the company does offer tech support. However, the first unit, fresh out of the box, was a noisy, useless mess and the second unit pooped out after a few months. The reverb effect is very good but the unit is made poorly and it doesn't travel well - at least in my experiences. Anyway, the wooden boxes the pedal ships in provided many uses in the workshop, so I didn't feel my money was completely wasted. :)

Summing up, not my favorite pedal and a mystery to me why so many love it.

10. FredW

FredW Member

I have one and it sounds ok, but the new line6 verbzilla sounds a lot better to me

11. danut

danut Member

Originally posted by Jon Silberman:

I also have a Fat-Boost (2003 version) and a Holy Grail. I see in your picture that you are using the Fat Boost before the HG. I tried this order but I get a significant volume change when I kicked the HG in (can't remember now if it was an increase or a drop). The HG just didn't only add effect but drastically changed volume. I was forced to reverse the order and feed the Fat-Boost from the HG. How do your pedals work? Didn't you have the same experience?

12. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Ditto.