1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

? about ok computer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by adelphi710, Jun 9, 2006.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

all of the sweeping wah/phase type guitar tones that johhny greenwood uses on ok computer (particularly subteranian homesick alien, paranoid android, and the tourist). am i hearing the lovetone meatball, or the dod 400? thanks!

2. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

4. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

Yep. Greenwood would lay down the tracks, then come back and hit them with the Mutator.

5. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

6. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Anaog synth filters are THE way to go for those sounds.
    OK Computer definitely was a turning point for me.
    I purchased first the legendary Waldorf X-Pole stereo filter (sadly no longer produced) and then the Filterbank.
    Some phaser pedals, especially when set to very deep inensities and slow speeds seem somehow to be able to emulate a synth filter.
    You could actually also try the Line 6 Delay Modeler.. it has a tape delay patch that lets you tweak the repeats up to feedback and total noise, and then slow them down to a grainy crush :) ... Somethng you know very well if you listen to lots of RH :)

Best

JJ

7. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

hmm.. so does johnny greenwood ever actually use the meatball? someone once told me that was how he got such a deep effect on the end solo riffs of paranoid android, but now i know that its the mutator.

8. dylon

dylon Member

Pretty much any autowah with an EHX small stone phaser will get you the Paranoid Android tones (up until the solo). For Subteranian Homesick Alien just add pitchshifting, preferably with a whammy. It's really the small stone that is the not-so-secret ingredient to Johnny's OK computer tones.

You don't need a meatball or a mutator for 99% of their tones, IMO. It's Ed not Johnny who uses the lovetone stuff anyway, and if you watch concert footage, he's uh... kind of a dead weight.

9. Antero

Antero Member

No way is O'Brien dead weight. He's certainly not Jonny Greenwood, who is hands down one of the best ever, but he's necessary for the layering and ambience.

10. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

i think colin is awesome at bass

11. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I agree. His parts are interesting and serve the songs very well. He is definitely crucial to the Radiohead sound, though often overlooked.

Bryan

12. hazel-rah

hazel-rah Supporting Member

Calling any member of Radiohead "dead weight" is stupid...

13. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

The long EBow screams in "My Iron Lung"?
    Ed O'Brien.

14. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Member

Yeah, I'm actually a really big fan of Ed's stuff. Subtle.

15. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

+1

The early parts of paranoid android are just the small stone, then the whammy for the 'whats this' parts.

Definately small stone for the sweeping subterranian sounds.

With envelope filter sounds greenwood is mostly about the humble dod 440, a cheap pedal until he turned up.

16. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

I used to think i was the "dead-weight" member of Radiohead. Turned out i was just a stalker.

:joOops.

cheers

17. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

mutronics is the way to go. .. out of production at goign for 2K on ebay/ i think a moogerfooger 101 can come close.. the filterbank is too raw and different colored for Paranoid android sounds.. though an exellent distruction machine.

you got to have control over your control voltage though :) that is the key.

18. Chadley

Chadley Member

Ringo was a total bummer on the Beatles too.

:stir

19. attiQwl

attiQwl Member

... kind of a dead weight.:jo

...besides his subtle guitar work, Ed also sings bgv behind Thom, he's so good at emulating the lead vocalist, on some live tracks you can hardly tell them apart. that doesn't happen on accident. though often overlooked, Ed is an example of the perfect bandmate. there's a reason why each member of RH is accredited for the songs, it's also one reason why they're still together.

"...like a cat, tied to a stick, that's driven into frozen winter sh!t..." lol

20. glennc100

glennc100 Member

Don't worry about the mutator. He doesn't use one live. You can achieve SHA with a small stone, whammy WH-1, and space echo. Good luck.