About the Gibson factory tour....that was an eye opener!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by webe123, Jan 16, 2008.

1. webe123

webe123 Member

http://www.virb.com/djmacintyre/videos/35666

From the way they started to make a guitar,it looked like they just grabbed three pieces of mahagonny and slapped it together with glue! No matching at all. Any old piece would do.

And people wonder why some Gibson's sound great and others sound like dogs?

That told me a LOT right there.

If you are paying over three thousand dollars for a guitar, you would think they could pick out the wood better than that!

No comparison to PRS at all! PRS has them beat by a mile. Which is why my next guitar is going to be a modern eagle and not a Gibson Tree of life les paul....which could be had for about the same amount.

Paul was absolutely right when he said "everything affects everything" from they way the wood is selected, to the electronics put in place, to the final assembly. That was a real eye opener on Gibson for me.

Don't get me wrong, Gibson produces some of the best guitars in the world....but this video makes me wonder if some of those guitars are just luck?

2. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

I can't watch the video, but is that tour of Gibson's USA factory or the Custom shop?

Also, for all we know they prescreen their wood at a different time and what you saw grabbed was wood that had already been cleared.

3. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

I live 10 minutes from Gibson and I am at awed on high guitars are being built. I see a lot of proud people working there and enjoying making guitars. I have been to the custom shop and the USA shop and I have not seen any non quality work being performed. I am pro American products being made here in the USA!:RoCkIn

4. Thwap

Thwap Member

I wonder why PRS so often comes up when Gibson bashing occurs.

I don't feel the need to voice the things I don't like about PRS when I'm speaking about what I like about Gibson.

You're right about one thing...no comparison to PRS at all. Different animals.

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Wow, that's cool.

Thanks for the link. [​IMG]

I think PRS guitars are gay looking, but that doesn't mean they actually are.

6. webe123

webe123 Member

Where do you get I was bashing Gibson? Just giving my opinion.

Sorry if it does not jive with your way of thinking.

Again, if it is ME that is paying that much for a guitar, I would think they could be a little more selective about the way they chose the wood.

Look everyone, I am NOT saying that Gibson guitars are bad,(Heck, I OWN ONE!) but the way they just took three pieces of wood and slapped them together, was an eye opener for me.

And I also buy American, but that does not mean I don't have questions about what I saw. I am not going to say I buy American....... just because it is American.

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

It's a factory, what did you expect? Magic pixies sprinkling fairy dust and lovingly adding "mojo" by hand?

8. Thwap

Thwap Member

No...not slamming.

Not slamming at all.:rolleyes:

9. webe123

webe123 Member

OK, you can cut the smart remarks.! I simply gave my opinion on it.
    And as far as Thwap...

"And people wonder why some Gibson's sound great and others sound like dogs?"

That is true. It is not a slam. Think about it what you will. But it is NOT my imagination that a lot of people complain about their QC.

"That told me a LOT right there."

It DID! I did not know how the wood was selected, apparently any old piece would do!

"No comparison to PRS at all! PRS has them beat by a mile."

Again, true. PRS just does things differently. Not a slam at all.

"but this video makes me wonder if some of those guitars are just luck?"

Again my opinion, get over it!

10. 777

777 Member

Thanks for posting the video. It ended before the show was completely over though.

11. frank62

frank62 Member

Strange how people who have never built guitars, ran a business, or a factory know more than Gibson does about how it should be done. Today's Gibson are as good or better than any in their history. Page after page of pround Gibson owners posting photos of new Gibsons on this forum proves this.

12. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Gibson USA sucks. There is no consistancy, which lends to a very crappy quality control process. Plugging a like model Custom Shop in next to a USA will tell the tale. I have a MIJ Epiphone that is a far nicer instrument than some of the USA models I've tried.

I've played dozens in the past 2 years and I think the fit and finish on about 1 of 3 was very poor for a 1k plus guitar.

I also have been on the tour in Memphis and although I didn't see guitar pixies adding mojo I did see many things that have soured my opinion of Gibsons quality.

And I also think PRS's look gay.
    This means nothing. The internet is full of forums full of people gushing about products they spent money on. It's simple human nature to defend personal choices when it come to money.

Example:
    My buddy just buys a Desert Sand LP($1600)at GC and brings it over. I play on it for a little while, he plays on it a little while then we plug in a 03 R7. Sounds huge in comparison, plays, feels, resonates audibly and physically better. He tells me he likes his new guitar better. Sure he does, he just spent $1600 on it. He's not going to say "damn, I'm a sucker for buying this guitar" he's going to defend his purchase.

13. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

In the last 12 months, I got 2 new USA Gibsons- A Les Paul Standard and an Explorer. Both are excellent guitars- yes I like my Cusom Shop Historic R8 the best of all of them, but there's nothing wrong with either of these instruments. And my most used guitar onstage in the past 5 or 6 years is probably my USA 2002 LP Custom.

I don't get where these comments are coming from- maybe the guitars in the stores that some people pick up are poorly set up or need truss rod adjustments whatever... but I certainly wouldn't say "quality is all over the map", they seem really pretty consistent to me. As a matter of fact, I've toured the Memphis and the Custom Shop facilities, and you should see the racks and racks of seconds that they will not sell because of some little flaw in the binding, or whatever...

14. JimH

JimH Member

Very interesting thanks for posting - there are definitely some practices there that are shall we say 'economically driven' - quick seasoning, quick gluing, using variety of wood cuts i.e. more or less radially sawn - that will inherently create a variable product, CNC machines not taking account of individual wood grain, arguably not using a scarf joint on the neck, - etc etc - but hey, it's a factory! Not quite sure why everyone gets so touchy about these things. Fair play that they can make such a good product in so little time - but what they then charge is another matter... Be fair guys you can see what they're doing, you can see how much of your Les Paul $$$ go into the marketing budget rather than construction - it's pretty open, just don't buy em if you think they're that bad.

...was he joking about microwaving glue joints????

15. Guitarzandstuff

Guitarzandstuff Silver Supporting Member

I don't know of many non Custom Shop "over $3000" Gibsons...

16. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

I should say that I am turned off of Gibson USA by knowing what the same $1500+ will get me in the market now. Lots of very high end instruments can be had for that kind of money.

17. webe123

webe123 Member

It is also strange, how people like you think that someone BUYING a product should have no say as to weather or not they consider them to purchase!

It goes BOTH WAYS!

And there are a LOT of guitar heroes and some do not even use Gibson.

But as far as Gibson built guitars being better than anytime in their history...THAT is a STRETCH. And "page after page" of other brand guitar owners on this and other guitar forums means your reasoning is false. That does not prove anything.

Again, I am not saying Gibson is bad, but I just did not think the wood for bodies was selected like that. Apparently people are getting their panties in a wad because of it.

I even have a white Gibson Double neck picked out to buy, when I get some money in. So I am not as against Gibson as some of you think!

I simply was taken aback by their wood selection for bodies.

18. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

There is no question Gibson quality has taken a ****!! Lately anything gibson I pick up at a GC needs some serious work.
    The problem is gibson knows regardless of where their quality goes )to a point) , most players want their name on the headstock and will justify buying a gibson regardless of value or quality issues.

Once that point is reached and a loss on sales can be attributed to quality issues, they will address the quality issues...until then we can keep telling ourselves that its ok that a $2000 guitar needs a fret dress, re-wiring/replacement of scratchy pots switches, and finish/blemish repairs!!!

19. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I kind of doubt that is the way it is actually done. They didn't show the whole process, which probably included the matching. They didn't show any of the binding either. The guitar made by the host will most likely never see the light of day anyway.

I am very happy with the most recent Gibson I have, a 2005 ES-137 Classic.

20. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I've owned 2 USA Gibsons in the past 2 years. Today I own zero Gibson guitars. QC on these $2500 guitars was far worse than on my $1100 Strats, my $1600 Carvin, and my $2400 PRS. I can't imagine I will every buy another Gibby. It appears I need to spend $3000+ to get a good one, which simply is not acceptable to me.