About to buy a Lollar Imperial...can any other pickup beat it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Sep 23, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I tried one out in my friend's legacy (exact setup I'm using), and it sounded fantastic. I'm about to drop the money on one, but I was wondering if there was anything similar that cost less? Anything that you might consider an 'imperial killer'?

2. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Gibson 57' Classic. True PAF Tones.

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Is the Imperial attempting to go after the PAF tones? I was looking at this as a replacement for something somewhat similar to my strat single coils.

4. lv

lv Supporting Member

only thing comparable is the fralin unbucker

5. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I think you may be confused. The Lollar Imperial is his "PAF" style Humbucker. It's not a Strat pickup. He does make Strat pickups though, but they're called "blonde", "tweed" and "blackface".

6. pdouds

pdouds Member

i really dig my lollar imperias. in fact jason Lollar is such a cool guy and he wrote "the book" on pickup winding, so i pretty use only his pickups. he makes a low wind, and a hotter version plus the regular imperials.

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

That's a totally different sounding pickup.

The imperials are in a class by themselves. If you're looking for a budget pickup, the Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAFs are pretty astounding. I have clips of them on my site.

8. CALI68

CALI68 Member

I use Lollar Imperials. Check out my youtube page.

-Chris

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

Maybe to your ears, or maybe for the tones you like. Have you compared the lollar imperial low winds and the unbucker in a solidbody guitar?

I can say that both pickups, in a Les Paul guitar will produce single coil flavored tones, both are underwound, mismatched coils and both do brighter, chimier clean tones.

10. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I have the Lollar Imperials in my Collings City Limits...the neck position is a monster...the bridge is a little too bright so I'm going to be trying replacements for the next few weeks.

I'm thinking maybe a Duncan Seth Lover or perhaps a plain old Duncan '59.

Then again...maybe I'll give Tom Holmes a call. :)

11. jzucker

try the dimarzio anniversary paf

12. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

I thought the imperials were 'meh' to the extreme. And expensive. I'll take classic 57s, burstbuckers, or any of the duncan PAF styles over imperials.

13. jzucker

I don't even know what "meh" means. It's some sort of internet forum adjective I guess. I have clips of the imperials and they are definitely not "meh", whatever that means. ;)

14. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Are you serious?

15. jzucker

I figured as much. ;)

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I first heard an Imperial in a Vineeto tele with a humbucker in the neck and a single coil in the bridge. That guitar might have had one of the best tones I have ever heard (both pu's on)...I should have bought that guitar.

How does the Imperial compare to the SD Seth Lover? Right now I have Seth Lover's in my Hamer Newport Pro, would it be worth the change?

18. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I have both and love both. Seths are a little bit more dipped in the mids, and MAYBE a bit chirpier. Lollars are a little more solid in the mids.

19. K-man

K-man Member

If you are looking for single coil tones out of a humbucker, you should look at Fralin P-92's, Duncan P-rails, Harmonic Design Z90's or similar.

20. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Member

They are great pickups. Can other ones beat it? It depends on who you ask and the particular guitar they are going into. I found the only way to find out is to try them yourself. I have tried a few different brands that were all highly recommended. They were all good. Some I enjoyed more than others but I'm sure if you asked 10 different people you would get 10 different answers. I say give em a try. If you don't like them sell them and move on. I have a set that I love but am replacing them as I'm now looking for a different sound but if I could never change them out I would still be quite happy.