About to get serious mix from DP...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Bassomatic, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Matte and i have a session booked for this weekend. He called me in to co-produce and engineer a mix for possible major release (if we nail it and the bend and label dig it. Yup, it's a classic spec arrangement, but one with some real potential).

We'll be working primarily at Matte's place (unless i throw a fit and decide to bring it to one of the full-on rooms in Woodstock, where i've got some time due and strong relationships). Now, Matte's setup is quite impressive, but he's a bit lacking in some of the plugs i've come to know and love. My biggest concern is EQ, as the Waves stuff is not all that. Any suggestions for other plugs (primarily eq's and compressors) we should consider? No time to get UAD or Powercore stuff on line, as we're talking deadline city. I may just have to drag my own rig down as well, since i know i can get some great stuff out of my setup (especially with tracks cut as well and pro as these sound to be). Also, how good is the stuff included with DP?

I'm hoping Sonalksis stuff is hasppening for Mac these days, as their full functional EQ and Comp demos will get us there, and are as good as anything i've heard/used.

Also (Les?) anything i should know about bringing a PT session into the latest DP?

Wish us luck - we'll need it!

2. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

I don't know squat about DP - i'm a PT guy through & through. As far as EQs go, if you can get your hands on it, the Oxford EQ is absolutely astounding. The Bomb Factory stuff is good for what it does as well - i'm talking their Pultec and JoeMeek eq's and the LA-2A and 1176 compressors. for a "utility eq" where i need to be able to run lots of instances, i use the Focusrite d2 a lot.

Doesn't Birnbaum have a Neve these days? Just go over there and put a 1066 on every insert, then print it back in when you're done ;) I did that a few months ago on a mix i did at the Village Recorder - man, Recall was a snap! :)

3. Bassomatic

I'm hep to the Oxford, but can one now buy it independent of Powercore? FWIW, i think the Sonalksis is as good or better. As to TBF, i think Matte has at least the Fairchild and LA2A, although the UAD destroys the BF stuff.

As to Miguel, i' may give him a call, although i suspect his recent success with Coheed may make last-minute bookings a bit of a bitch. There's also some history bewtween Matte and Mike that i don't want to get involved in.;)

There's also a killer Oxford room up here i'm owed some time from, so who knows? Should have things a bit more tightened up by Sat when we get down to biz.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, Anton.:dude

4. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

Wow i didnt know he did that - kudos to Birnbaum!!! Glad to hear he's doing so well - i gotta say i really respect what he's done. While i've whored my self out to every studio and project that would have me for the last 20 years, Mike has stuck to his guns and to his location and essentially built himself a niche. If you talk to him tell him i said hey! :)

5. Bassomatic

Anton-

Indeed. Makes me wish i'd stuck it out as his partner in the first, humble room we had. We thought we were pimping, what with our 1" Tascam, Tube-Tech, Drawmer,and 414.

Naah, we'd have killed each other long ago (and i love the guy like a brother - perhaps TOO much like a brother!).

I'll give him your best, as i'm sure we'll be talking and/or visiting this WE if he's in town.

6. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

LOL my 1st room was with Thom Greenwald, who went to Fieldston with Mike and Armand, and we were proud of our 1/2'' Tascam, 1st generation Mirage sampler and Mac+ running MIDIPaint! :)

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>Also (Les?) anything i should know about bringing a PT session into the latest DP?<<

Beats me. I have the latest DP, 4.5, but my computer won't let me load OSX 10.3, so in order to run it, I have to buy a new computer. Great, huh. I can run it on my wife's laptop, but I need to use a PCI card for the interface, so that's useless.

Mine's old and cranky when it comes to OSX for some reason, and even the Apple techs can't figure out why I can't seem to load OSX. So I said screw it. I'll buy a new machine in a while. Thing is, my machine's running perfectly on the old system with the old software, and I'm in one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" modes.

I can tell you that on the older DP, you could load a PT session with all of the markers, etc, if the PT person had some pro tools program that cost extra money and used the open music system.

I was told you don't need to do that on the new DP, but I am clueless as to whether the guy who told me that knew what he was talking about.

On the old DP however, you could just drag and drop the PT tracks into DP one at a time, and it worked perfectly, assuming the PT session wasn't saved as an open music file.

Also, I happen to like the Waves Renaissance EQ, so there you have it. Different strokes for different producers. ;)

But I still EQ through my analog console quite often, just because it has knobs, and I have been using it for a long time, so I'm used to it.

Honestly tho, I rarely use EQ. I'm just not much of a maven on EQ plugs. You guys know more about them than I do. I just use whatever's on hand and whatever seems to work.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Man, I wish you guys nothing but the best of luck. You already have everything else you need. I can't wait to hear it. :)

I'm afraid I can't answer your question about how to open a PT session in DP. SDII audio files have a time stamp, so they should line up correctly when you import them. But as for edits, fader settings, crossfades, automation, busses etc. I don't believe there's any way to do that.

9. Bassomatic

Thanks for your reply. I think we'll be going drag and drop, and starting from scratch, as that's how Matte's done it in the past.

As to the Waves' stuff, it's fine, and i still use it, but usually go to the UAD stuff as it's that much better. The Sonalksis eq and comp are also murder.

After talking with Matte today, I think i'm going to drag down my box as well. Not too much trouble, and I'll end up with an interface i can fly around and plugs I know and love. It'll also be more efficient if Matte's chopping things up or adding a bit of programming in DP while i keep working on what i do. Isolation will be another story.;)

10. Bassomatic

Thanks, Michael. I hope you get to hear it! (There's always the unnoficial way, too).

11. Unburst

Unburst Member

First of all good luck!

The stuff included in DP is pretty basic, but functional.

IIRC Matte is running a G5/OSX so he's using DP 4.5?
    DP 4.5 has a very good convolution based eq called masterworks eq (?)

Good eq for OSX is scarce imo, I still run an OS9 system mainly because I can use Channel strip, my fave software based digital eq.
    Waves Ren. eq is ok.

You would probably get more info at the DP forum.
    http://www.osxaudio.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=23

12. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I know this isn't considered a professional product, but PSP's Vintage Warmer is a pretty cool tool to add to your OS X plug-in arsenal. You never know - it might be just what you need for certain tracks.

13. Bassomatic

Lots of folks consider it professional (as in it costs money, and pros use it ;))and i'll be using it at Matte's if i like it as much as i recall.

14. Bassomatic

Thanks for the tip- i'll check tihe convolution eq (although i'm a tad skeptical). I hope DP's got a convo verb by now.??

BTW, have you compared Channel Strip to eqs like the Sonalksis, Oxford, Cambridge, etc? These are where the action is, imo.

15. Unburst

Unburst Member

Negative on the built in convo reverb, you might want to check out Altiverb.
    DP has always been light on the bells and whistles.

I haven't heard the Oxford or Cambridge yet but CS sounds pretty good to me compared to Sonalksis and is a little more flexible with a better UI.

Sonalksis is available for OSX, they have demos online, you need the Audio Unit (AU) format for DP.

16. Bassomatic

I scored with a fully functioning demo of Waves IR thingy for OSX (gorgeous impulses, as they should be for the silly price). Between that, the Sonalksis EQ and Comp, and a 1,000,000 funky plugins that Matte has, we've got our bases covered. It's been a ton of work, but good fun so far...(running into an extra day, but will wrap tomorrow). Nothing like shedding a new program and a ton of plugs while trying to actually get a mix done.

17. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

It's experience like this that separates the men from the mama's boys! Be tough, be strong, and above all, be a MAN. Quit whining, ya candyasses!! Gulp down that bad coffee with a smile and swagger as you stride up to the console. ;)

18. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    Hi,

just thought i'd add a suggestion in regards to opening a PT session on DP.

Can DP import an OMF file?

I work on Logic and have been able to export OMF files to PT users. Not totally bulletproof, but it works. I don't think you get automation and plug information, not even fades i think, but at least your audio files get in there and they all line up fine.

Hope this helps.

19. Bassomatic

I'd love to agree, though i'm a recovering Mama's Boy, have been known to whine (and even whinge), and refuse to drink horrid coffee (Matte's got a Dunkin Donuts around the corner, which is as low as i'll go!).

I do, however, prescribe to the the Grease, Sugar, Nicotine diet while studio-bound (which i'm attempting to address).

20. Bassomatic

Dunno.

I exported an OMF disc from DP, but my Nuendo2 didn't like it. Not sure if it's bad Mac/PC mojo or simply a corrupt disk. I suspect the former, as it verified on the Mac.