About to lose my job. How did you deal with it?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tylenol Jones, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

I've been at this company for close to 4 years working my butt off to the point where largely because of me (something the client verified), the client re-signed for a period of 3 years instead of one year at a time, which they had done for all the years beforehand.

All I got was a half-hearted thank you, a few empty promises, and now, pressure to account for every minute of our time. After discussing it in detail with the only other member of our team, our mutual conclusion is that the powers that be want to outsource our jobs to another center which is halfway across the world. I've dealt with these workers every day for years and although they are polite and can do mechanical work OK, they have zero communication nor troubleshooting skills at all, which are core fundamental attributes for this job.

Anyway, I know that this is the endgame and am basically just in need of venting. Feeling mightily underappreciated and used. If you have any advice or care to type your experience being in a situation where you KNOW you're on borrowed time, please do so. It might make things suck a little less.

*sigh*

2. Creighton

Creighton Member

You can look at any so called problem this way: just keep telling/asking yourself "there is something really good about this, what is it?" and magically people places and situations will line up to bring you something better that couldn't have happened without the *problem* occuring in the first place. Most of our lives are created from our reactions/labels we place on events and, how we interpret them. This approach works I have found.

That will be $40

3. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

I actually always assume I'm on borrowed time so I make it my priority to make sure my skills make me valuable anywhere and try to stay away from work that can really only be of value to one specific employer. Outsourcing happens all the time and often it's a blanket type decision affecting a significant volume of employees where no exceptions are made so even if you had cultivated skills your employer specifically valued, that doesn't guarantee safety. Better to look out for yourself and make sure you can get yourself a job anywhere.

4. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

is your client hiring??

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

They got me, at 55YO and very little chance of ever getting comparable fulltime work, so I started my own business, and it's doing great.

6. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

I've been there. Just be prepared to bounce back, and keep your eyes open for opportunities. I tend to get invested in companies that I work for, and sometimes that is to my detriment. Just remember that all good things come to an end, count your blessings from your successes, and move on knowing you did the best job you could have done.

While a pat on the back is always desired, in today's world they can be few and far between. Look for your happiness in the great job you have done, not in the recognition of others.

Good luck!

7. DrewH

DrewH Member

Its just a job. In this market, which keeps getting better and better, jobs are there.

One mans garbage is another mans gold. Be positive.

We are all on borrowed time, no matter if we are self employed or work for others. Worry about what YOU can control. If you fear a job loss, be proactive and start looking now.

8. thisisajs

thisisajs Member

This would be my first call if I were you..

9. Route234

Route234 Member

Yep, it sucks to get treated like that but its fast becoming the norm (sadly). IME a better job will come along after this one has run its course. Good luck.

10. hi-fi-dave

hi-fi-dave Member

Don't pay him, he is over charging. Here is the going rate...

[​IMG]

;)

11. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

Falling in love with your job is like falling in love with a prostitute. She ain't gonna love you back.

12. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

I'll try not to go into my own story only to say I've been tossed from the top of the heap a couple times and had to rebuild.

This Company you work for truly sounds like a Type D Company that under appreciates and overworks their staff. Not to sound cliche but it sounds like a good thing you will be moving on from there.

13. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

One Company I worked for had our entire Department (100+) Train our replacements under the guise that we were expanding the department. All Indian immigrants that we later learned saved the company an average of 10k per year per employee.

This isn't a slight on immigrants it's just a statement of something that happened btw.

14. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Read 'Who Moved My Cheese'

15. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Been there. In my case, it was where I worked for 24 years, and worked to the top. New owners, goodbye. I had 3 months notice I would be sent packing.

Start looking for opportunities NOW. Make sure your resume is tuned up and in the correct format(s). Apply early and often. Follow up as well.

When the job ends and you are unemployed, don't change good habits. If you worked out in the morning before work, keep doing it, and at the same time. Then work full time on finding work the rest of the day.

Just because you are out of a job, don't let it disrupt a good rhythm you may have in your life. That is a sure way to get out of sorts and into a depression.

16. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I had plenty of warning before I got canned. I didn't have anything good lined up before the axe fell, but I did have a job to go to, just not a great one. I managed to drag its start date out for a while, betting I could find a better job before then, and I did. Once unemployed, I got over the butt hurt in about a day and treated the job search like a full-time job. 30 days after getting canned, I had a great offer that started two weeks later. That job deteriorated about about 18 mos., though not due to performance. Everyone wants out. I fell into another job without even looking this time. I'm in my fourth week. They sent me to SHOT and NAMM last week.

17. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

Get your wife to hide your guns for a while.

RRC

18. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

Great advice here. I had a similar situation 12 years ago. Got canned after 14 years on the job with solid performance reviews, etc. Basically, just a situation where my new boss thought I could be replaced by a new recruit for half my salary. It didn't work out for them, but I did the full-time employment seeking thing and ended up with a better job for more money. Build the resume, prepare and practice for the interview. Treat the interview like your band is opening for Springsteen. You would rehearse for that, right?

19. TrickinSid

TrickinSid Member

I would have to agree with what a few have said.
    Sorry about your situation, but it sounds like you will be better off (hopefully)
    some where else.

20. morlll

morlll Member

Never mind hiring.

Write to all the clients you know and offer your services at 1/2 the price. I'd bet that you get some of them.

Feel no guilt and sue them back if they try to stop you from working. They can't do that here without paying you lot's of money. Restricted covenant, isn't valid as they've no right to stop you from working if they let you go.