About to shoot another round of pedal videos- what do you want to hear?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tibbon, Feb 5, 2012.

1. tibbon

tibbon Member

TaylorBarefoot and I are about to shoot another round of pedal demo videos. Going for quality over quantity this time, and seriously trying to go through each pedal throughly with multiple examples, settings, etc. Of course, this means we need to be more selective with what we shoot.

With that in mind, mainly interested in shooting newer stuff, and boutique pedals. No need to shoot something everyone has heard, or something you could just try at Guitar Center. The goal is to make the best demos/videos that have been, or ever will be shot of the gear period.

So what does TGP want to hear/see? The more the demand there is for something, the easier it will be for us to obtain (we don't have unlimited budget for the videos).

Also, very interested in shooting amps as well. Pedals are fun, but we'd like to start expanding. Probably only time to do 2-3 amps at most though.

2. geodr

geodr Member

How about vibe pedals?

3. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

I'd like to hear amp demos from: Dr. Z, Matchless, and Morgan.

Specifically Maz 18, Lightning, and AC20 combo.

Plus the VFE Bumble Bee pedal..

4. tibbon

tibbon Member

Vibe can be done for sure. What in particular would you like to hear?

To be clear we are not doing anymore shootouts. Its just too much work, and frankly no matter how you do it its flawed. A super scientific comparison is possible, but also boring for us and the viewer. The overdrive video made me want to die in editing. But doing individual demos (and occasionally pairing them with another pedal like a delay/OD) is super fun.

We've got 2 Matchless amps in the studio (DC-30 and Chieftain) so that can be potentially done. Although since they aren't anything new, I'm a little hesitant to do it without a little more demand. I haven't looked, but I figure there's a few hundred videos of each of those out there, and someone has to have done them decently at some point.

I'd absolutely love to do videos of Morgan amps, so I'll email Joe and see what I can do. I was talking with a pedal builder the other day who saw them at NAMM and recommended them highly. Right now the AC20 Deluxe or the Dual 20 are my dream amps. Anyone else want demos of Morgan amps? Believe it or not, the more people who say they want to hear this the more likely it is I can pull it off.

Looking into the VFE Bumble Bee. Never tried that one.

5. wyatt3

wyatt3 Trem-Verb-Vibe, The 3 Kings Silver Supporting Member

Amps would be great, for a change.

How about a few of these low watt, lower priced heads.

Like the "VHT Special 12W/20W Hand-Wired Tube Guitar Amp Head",
    up against the "Ampeg GVT15H 15W Tube Guitar Amp Head".
    Both through the same cabinet, so we get an accurate comparison.
    These two amps are almost identical in price, tubes, and features.
    I would love to see this.
    my 2 cents(-:

6. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Delays: Strymon El Capistan, Strymon Timeline, Diamond ML Jr.,
    Reverbs: Neunaber Wet, Strymon BlueSky
    Overdrives: Kingsley Jester, Kingsley Minstrel, Bearfoit Honey Bee & Beest, Bearfoot Model H

7. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Yes plz!

8. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Morgan amps for sure...

I'd love to see someone do a shootout of different pickups in the same guitar... Single coil, p90, mini hum, humbucker, firebird... etc

I'm having a super hard time picking out what to put in my next custom guitar and I guess itd be helpful for me...

Also focusing on one builder and doing their entire lineup... analogman, creepy fingers, midfi, dr scientist etc...

But yea, anything dr scientist

9. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

How about Carvin amps? Unless you live in California (where they have 2 or 3 stores) you can't try them in person unless you stumble upon one used. They've been around a while now, and make some pretty good gear. Maybe an X100b head (or combo) and one of their vintage style amps?

For pedals, I agree with geodr's suggestion of Vibe pedals, as well as high end delays (Timefactor, Timeline, etc...) and maybe (as dull as it might seem initially) A/Bing various buffers.

10. tibbon

tibbon Member

I've actually shot videos of a few Diamond pedals prior, including the ML and ML2. Awesome stuff. Never touched the ML Jr, but it looks neat.

I did one of the El Capistan too, although I have had no luck in getting in touch with Strymon about demos of other pedals. Honestly, I can't blame them as what they have sells like hotcakes, are generally well documented in videos, and they make some of the best in-house demos and videos I've ever seen. I don't have any of their other gear, and I'm waiting for the availability on a Timeline to open up before I buy one for my rig.

Good ideas on the other pedals though. I'll see what I can do.

Cool ideas!

Pickups would be interesting. Also really hard to pull off without something like one of the Dan Armstrong Ampeg guitars (process of switching them and then playing something consistently between each pass, etc). I'd love to hear that myself, as I am personally super ignorant of different pickups. I just know if I like the way a guitar sounds or not.

While not every Analogman pedal, we did videos of six of his pedals last spring, and I was talking to him about doing 1-2 more pedals (unsure which ones). We also did several pedals from Diamond. I do like this format as long as it isn't more than around 6 pedals at a time.

I've been meaning to talk to Ryan (Dr Scientist) about doing something like that. Good idea! I almost forgot!

11. geodr

geodr Member

When I suggested vibe, I was thinking shootout, but can understand if you don't want to do that again.

Another suggestion would be a tonebender and basic fuzz tour, to contrast the tones of the classics - Tonebender Mk 1, 2, 3, fuzzface, muff, etc. Maybe with backing track to hear how they cut...

12. tibbon

tibbon Member

That would be interesting, although I think I'll leave it to someone else to do that one :). The main problem there that I can foresee are the 500 variations of each of those pedals. Then also what the proper settings/instruments people want to hear with each. We're bound to do it "wrong" in someone's eyes and give an inaccurate description of some minor circuit change or usage of the pedal. I guess for me, those small details of various versions just aren't all that interesting to my playing personally when I really think about it more. I just listen to one and either vicerally like it or don't. If someone else does this however, I will definitely watch it.

I guess we're mainly thinking of doing closer to what PGS/Gearmandude/Fuzzboxgirl/etc do, but more in depth, and higher quality. Its just easier if we're addressing 1-2 pedals at a time at most. Any time you compare pedals, things get messy.

13. ibegofyou

ibegofyou Member

I'd love and AC20 demo

14. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

It'd be awesome to hear one line's various dirt pedals; like all the VFE drive pedals, or the Wren and Cuff Muffs, or SUF Muffs, or Earthquaker's drives, etc. Not a shootout, but a showcase of the different flavors from one company.

15. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

We know you are close to a new Klon....

16. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

SubDecay Spring Theory. Do a bunch of different settings and some splashy reverb songs (ala John Mayer "Slow Dancing a Burning Room"). The videos on youtube right now aren't that great IMO for showing the depth of individual plucks and letting the reverb ring out.

17. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I am voting for amps as well, and this...

...is an excellent idea. There must be millions of pedal demos on Youtube by now, but the actual amp demos (the GOOD ones) are scarce. GregV - check out his channel in Youtube - has sound quality to die for, but he is one of the very few exceptions.

As for which amps, definitely some low budget ones, and some boutique ones later. I don't know if the Morgans are so good as you describe - they seem to be the boutique flavour du jour together with Swart (which after trying they didn't blow me away) - but if they are half as good as the Matchless DC30 that you have, we are in for a treat. I'll never forget the feeling of listening a chord through a semi-cranked DC30 in a shop for the first time. As Bogart used to say, "the stuff that dreams are made of".

18. youandme

youandme Gold Supporting Member

Two-rocks.... Classic reverb vs custom reverb vs jet...

19. tibbon

tibbon Member

So time for a little honesty (not that I've ever told anyone differently), plus a serious question.

Pedal demos I generally request that the makers give us the pedal as exchange for the work we put into doing the video. By no means does it net us a profit of any type, as it is time that we don't have the studio booked (and its very full normally). In addition if the maker has a policy of not giving out pedals, or wants them back for whatever reason, then we still gladly do the videos without complaint and don't cut corners. Its probably better for them generally if we keep the pedals, largely because then they are in the studio (and our rigs) and we can constantly demo them to people and make them available for use. Doing these videos take a ton of time, generally 1-2 hours of work per minute of finished footage. We definitely don't have the money to go out and buy at retail every pedal for every video. In comparison, I think some of the other people doing pedal videos are charging makers to do them, which we definitely aren't (and don't really desire to).

For amps, I really don't know how to work this and what is at all reasonable. For an amp, we're probably going to make a 10-minute finished product, probably requiring around 20+ hours of work total (significantly more work than for a pedal). I want the video to be the absolute definitive video on the amp, with none better to ever be recorded by anyone else.

What is reasonable here? Shipping around amps is expensive. Amps have a lot higher costs for just raw components ($600-900 easily) than a fuzz pedal. Plus a lot more work goes into them. I mean, I'd love for people to send me amps for free to record (duh), but something strikes me as that being not fair. Maybe it is? I don't know. I'd really like advice here. On the flipside, we do need something in exchange for putting so much work in. I just don't know what is reasonable.

Let's say we're able to do something as good, if not better than the Divided by 13 demo videos (see one below). What is reasonable for that type of quality/effort?

As Lux_interior said, there aren't many killer amp videos out there. Lots of iPhone cameras, bad video, too many blues riffs and little/no editing.

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

So you want amps that are unusual enough there aren't a million videos, but not unobtanium? Some thoughts from my collection:

Magnatone (either mono, stereo or both) and a comparison with the Gibson GA79RVT (stereo bias modulation tremelo) and the Roland Jazz Chorus would be fun.

Jackson Amps has some very cool class A stuff.

Alessandro's amps aren't super expensive on the used market and are killer.

A "basic amp flavors" video might be helpful to put things in perspective: if we know what a Vox AC30 clean/distorted, a Deluxe Reverb, a tweed Deluxe, a 50w/100w NMV Marshall sound like thru your rig, we can extrapolate what that Morgan is sounding like.

Low watt amps are a recurring question on TGP, the Emery Superbaby/Microbaby would be cool to demo in detail. I've got preamp tubes ranging from 6SL/SN7s to 12AU7/12AT7/12AY7/12AZ7/12AX7 in American and European flavors. Rectifiers from the soft 5y3 to GZ34 Mullard. Power tubes from the Smicz TAD (0.5w), YJs with Mullards (2w), 6K6 (2w), 6V6, 6L6, EL34, KT88 some in variations from 1951-2000. While the basic amp always sounds like Emery, the overal behavior changes dramatically with some combinations...

How about an all the variations on clean and high gain Boogies?

Then there's speakers... new vs old, american vs brit, alnico vs ceramic, high output vs low, reconed vs originals... I can think of several years worth of videos to shoot there!