About to turn my AC15C2 into a DR. Z Wreck!

MissoulaGriz

Well, I had a hankering to play around with some speakers and I had an idea that has been in my head for some time. I've always LOVED the Dr. Z Wreck 2X12 that has an Alnico Blue and Gold. I love that creamy, chimey, gritty goodness that those cabs (and the Alnico's) deliver and I also love the idea of Alnico's in the AC15, but there's no way I can spend that kind of scratch on two speakers.
So, with the arrival of my AC15C2 (the 2X12 version), I decided to take a chance and spoke with Dave at Avatar. I've been eyeing his Avatar Alnico 25 and Alnico 50 speakers for some time and the prices are more realistic for me. After going back and forth with Dave about the tonality of his Alnico line vs. the Blues and Golds, I decided to go for it. Long story shot, I've got both a 25 and 50 on the way to load into the AC15C2. I'm very interested to see what happens. I do realize that only a Z Wreck will truly sound like a Z Wreck, but if I can get close to the vibe as well as that killer Vox/Alnico tone? I'll be a happy guy.

Last edited:

markstullkc

I just bought a Z Wreck head but I'm running into a sourmash 2x12 with old greenbacks. It sounds amazing. Are the speakers that much of the equation?

MissoulaGriz

I'm thinking there's a difference between Alnicos and ceramics but...I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. Just different tones. I'll sure find out in a few days :)

chillybilly

I'm way below that on the budgetary scale but I did recently retrofit my AC15C1 (Greenback) with a Vox-labeled Celestion Blue with satisfying results.
(I already had an AC30CC2X with Blues).

I'm nothing if not stubborn and it's taken me years to admit or face up to the reality that speakers actually move the air ie create the sound and are therefore an obvious target for experimentation even over guitars, pickups, amps, effects, etc.

cap217

I have some youtube videos where I compare my vox ac30cc2x to my z wreck and run each through the same cab and different cab. I also did this with a vix acc30 hw setup too. I think the wreck is stiffer and the majority of the sound is in the cab. The ac30 through the wreck cab sounded more like a wreck. The other cabs had 2 blues but I think it was cab design vs speakers that made the difference.

MissoulaGriz

I think I've seen that video, cap217. That was pretty interesting for sure. I'm really interested to hear this mix in the AC15C2. Could be pretty rad.

MissoulaGriz

I got the Avatar Alnicos today and spent the afternoon giving them a good workout in the AC15C2. Man, I'm super stoked that I went with these and the tone is insane! I'm also happy that I did the A25 and A50 mix. Very pleased with that choice.

I'm going to drop these into a 2x12 and also see how my 18watt Plexi does with them. I'll write a proper review in a few days after I've had chance to put them through the wringer. My first thought was, "Are you kidding me? I'm getting this beautiful Alnico tone for the cost of a decent ceramic?" That's when I laughed out loud and turned the amp up! @daveAvatar once again killing it with amazing offerings. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

MissoulaGriz

As these Avatar Alnico's start to break in more, they are opening up and sounding killer. Here's some not so awesome iPhone recordings of them to give a general idea of what the tone is like. Obviously, not a studio...this was done in my basement music room. Please be kind as I'm not much of a "noodler." :)
No effects, Top Boost channel, master on 10:00 and the channel volume on 11:00, bass at 9:00, treble at 10:00 and cut at 2:00
First two are with a '65 Gibson Melody Maker with an SD Antiquity humucker in the bridge.
Last one is with a USA ASAT Classic with a Jerry Donahue in the bridge.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
I see the one spot in the strip and a couple of pedals in line that may, or may not, have been used. Any augmentation to the amp (I see "no effects", but were they in the signal path?)? By the way, that's one huge hearth for the fireplace. I like what I'm hearing, even through the phone there's limited compression.

You're playing is better than you give yourself credit for, but if you can slow down your vibrato, and especially not use much until you 'hit the note' and and then wiggle it; you'll like your 'noodling' more. Good job...

Last edited:

MissoulaGriz

Thanks, @Laurence...yeah, there are pedals in the chain but nothing was on for these, everyone was just guitar and amp. I think there's a Keeley modded BD-2, a Pedal Monsters Kone and ProCo Rat2 in there.

That fireplace is a monster. The room desperately needs an "overhaul" with some newer carpet etc. etc. but I've slowly taken it over as my music room so I guess the crazy shag carpet is going to stay for awhile :)

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
Do you play that drum as well? Dude, that looks like the inside of my cousin's home in the SF Valley (Cali) and you're in MT!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom