• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Above and Beyond "band"

doghouseman

So I just watched this "band" play Madison Square Garden to a packed crowd, and there were no instruments on stage. There was some vocals, but as far as I could tell, no one on stage was singing. They were all just twisting knobs. I guess the vocals are canned sequences? Do the guys on the stage sing those parts separately? I think some parts were from guest vocalists singing previously recorded parts.

Call me old fashioned, but being a DJ is not the same as being in a band.

To each their own, I suppose. I have a freind who is a DJ and I have picked his brain on his approach, and how he creates soundscapes - and you are correct, being a DJ is not a like being in a band. I see them as entertainers, not artists. I have yet to meet a DJ who can play an instrument. Oh, and the music is generally terrible to my ear. If you take away the light show - there would be nothing.

eflatminor

This sounds akin to watching someone listening to their stereo system while they pretend to sing along. As exciting as that sounds, I think I'd pass.

doghouseman

To each their own, I suppose. I have a freind who is a DJ and I have picked his brain on his approach, and how he creates soundscapes - and you are correct, being a DJ is not a like being in a band. I see them as entertainers, not artists. I have yet to meet a DJ who can play an instrument. Oh, and the music is generally terrible to my ear. If you take away the light show - there would be nothing.
Yes, and all the songs sound the same. Not like some bands don't have this problem too. But for DJs - they do the same thing over and over. The soundscape at the beginning, the building of the beat and drums, then the pause before the bass drum kicks in and everyone jumps up and down and dances. Then if there are vocals, they put these in over the top, maybe one or two more pauses, with the bass drum kicking in each time. Pretty much the standard formula.

Maybe most people who are going to these shows are talking to Molly as well?

stratotastic

It's not intended for middle-aged men, so I'm not sure why you are surprised that it doesn't make sense to you.

I'm not into the DJ thing either, but I have to give anyone credit who can get 18,000 people to come see them do something on a stage.

And yeah, being a DJ is not the same as being in a band. Deep insight.

Magicpad

Both DJs and musicians compose music the same way. The creation aspect takes just as much creativity.

The PERFORMANCE aspect is vastly different. .... but it's still "live" music at the end of the day.

Yea they may just "push play" up there, but keep in mind our own rock and rollers the Red Hot Chili Peppers played unplugged "air guitar" at the superbowl show..... who's more pathetic now?!?

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, and all the songs sound the same. Not like some bands don't have this problem too. But for DJs - they do the same thing over and over. The soundscape at the beginning, the building of the beat and drums, then the pause before the bass drum kicks in and everyone jumps up and down and dances. Then if there are vocals, they put these in over the top, maybe one or two more pauses, with the bass drum kicking in each time. Pretty much the standard formula.

Maybe most people who are going to these shows are talking to Molly as well?
This comment brought to you courtesy of TGP Knitting Circle :D
-
Austin

It's not intended for middle-aged men, so I'm not sure why you are surprised that it doesn't make sense to you.

I'm not into the DJ thing either, but I have to give anyone credit who can get 18,000 people to come see them do something on a stage.

The folks I know who are into this stuff are all middle aged - because they are the only ones who can afford to go the festivals. So, I don't think age has anything to do with it. The other thing I noticed is that they wouldn't even attend if there weren't drugs.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
A few thousand people will show up to see a DJ, a few thousand people will show up to see, oh, Leo Kottke.

Imagine a contest where the prize is to have Leo Kottke play for just you, in your living room. How many people enter that contest?

Imagine a contest where the prize is to have DJ PressPlay spin for just you, in your living room (or, a warehouse). How many people enter that contest?

I would have to see the thing you saw at Madison Square Garden to be able to fully grok what was going on. But one doesn't have to be in a conventional "band" to make music.

doghouseman

I would have to see the thing you saw at Madison Square Garden to be able to fully grok what was going on. But one doesn't have to be in a conventional "band" to make music.
Search for Above and Beyond band, they have some show in Las Vegas on youtube.... I have not seen it but I would assume it is the same as the show at Madison Square Garden.

doghouseman

Jeeze.. so how many insults can you cram into one post? Quoting my post is no "deep insight" on your part either....

conanb

I know it's hard, but you're gonna have to take a step back and listen to yourself. It's the same way some people in the 40's talked about jazz "That aint music!". I've worked extensively in electronic music genres and the level of musicality and talent required to "make it" is just as high as any other genre. Just because the live show doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean nothing worthwhile or difficult is happening up on stage. It might help to think about these genres a bit more like classical music. You might think a composer is a complete waste of space but he's the main man at a live classical show. These guys are performing almost the same function but the players are all electronic as opposed to human. You still gotta get them all doing what you want. That's not to say there are'nt charlatans who get up on stage and press play but that's not so different from bands miming to guitar parts when they play live (this happens A LOT).
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...undermining-the-music-experience-9920527.html

Trending Topics