1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

ABR-1 bridge tilted neckside

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Vibrator, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Vibrator

Vibrator Active Member

I purchased a Gibson Historic SG (VOS) and noticed that the ABR-1 bridge is bent slightly toward the fret side of the guitar. Does this mean the force of the strings pressing down upon the bridge is too great? I only thought this happened when the tailpiece was screwed too close to the body, but to my eyes the tailpiece seems to be at a reasonable height. Is it possible that Gibson just installed the bridge slightly bent? I haven't taken anything apart yet...I was just wondering if anybody has experience with this.

2. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Lots of threads about Gibsons issues with bent/or poorly drilled bridge posts.
    check lespaulforum.com for tons of info.

3. Vibrator

Vibrator Active Member

You're not kidding. There's a huge thread on the LP forum dedicated to this issue. Now I'm thinking that the actual studs are not really bent at all...it's possible that the drill angle is simply not perpendicular the body, but perpendicular to the pickup baseline.

4. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

That could be. My Historic 58 is up with a great Luthier right now (for a new nut and setup) and he told me he sees more Gibsons than any other brand.

5. Bob V

Bob V Member

Do the strings take off from the saddles perpendicular to the sides of the bridge? In other words is the top of the bridge parallel to the line of the strings? The studs coming out of a carved top can be deceiving.

These bridges can lean, however, and one trick is to put an extra set of thumbwheels, turned down tight to the top, but I'd only do that if the studs were not stable and really needed it. There's a certain charm, and some believe a source of tone, that comes from the small screws sitting in the wood top. Don't mess with it if it isn't moving or getting worse.

6. Vibrator

Vibrator Active Member

Well, this is an SG so the body is flat and it's easy to see that the studs are not perpendicular. In fact, one of the studs is a little more off angle than the other. Either they were drilled slightly off or they are slightly bent. It's really no big deal to me, I was just curious if anybody else had seen it. As I said, the LP forum has a couple of threads on this which were are very informative. I'm not going to mess with it :D.

7. Bob V

Bob V Member

If you can still get your saddles adjusted rearward enough to get the proper intonation, don't worry about it. Keep and eye on it and if it continues to lean, you can do something about it.