• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Absent Ocean Spendy Delay Thread 2.0

Absent Ocean

Hey guys, I made a thread recently about the DD-500 where I was trying to find something more versatile than the Quantum Leap I've been using for the past couple years. Since then, I got a DD-7 for Christmas and "got" a used El Cap from Guitar Center. I'm really liking the DD-7, especially on the Modulate mode. It really scratched the itch I had for a bright delay with a lot of repeats so I'm happy on that front now. The El Cap, I wanted to like...but it wouldn't turn on. Bummer! Got my money back and I'm thinking about what to do with it. For the record, I do dream pop/Slowdive style shoegaze with my band and I'm running a Jazzmaster into a Traynor YCV80 4x10 if that makes a difference here.

So here is what I want, would like, and don't need:
Want-Analog/tape sounds. I want a warm, thick wounding delay that would provide a counterpoint for the very bright DD-7. Good swirly goodness.
Want-Modulation. Good modulation is an absolute must. Depth and Speed controls would be nice but a single knob is just fine if it sounds good.
Would like-Edge of oscillation infinite repeats.
Would like-The "hold the switch for infinite repeats/oscillation" thing.
Don't need-Presets.

Things I am considering:
-Wampler Faux Tape Echo v2: Seems like a really cool pedal. I like the form factor, features, and price. At times the demos seem pretty cool, but it's not really wowing me.
-Strymon El Capistan: I've had this one before and I definitely liked it, but it is a little more complicated than what I would ideally want. It seems to have everything I want though and I wouldn't minding giving it another shot.
-EHX Memory Man TT110: This is on the high end of what I want to pay but I hear great things about DMMs and the inclusion of tap tempo makes it a lot more useful to me.
-Source Audio Nemisis: It gets rave reviews here and has a lot of cool features but none of the demos I've seen have connected with me at all. Maybe I'm missing something?
-Dunlop Echoplex: Good price and seems to have a pretty good sound. I feel like the modulation can get pretty intense when you turn up the age but maybe there's a good happy medium between the darkness and modulation?
-Diamond Memory Lane Jr: I feel like this is what I'll probably wind up with honestly. I had this for a while and loved the way it sounded. It doesn't do a couple of the things I'm looking for, but maybe that's worth it in this case.

What do you folks think?

dave999z

Can't comment on any of the others, but I bought myself a DMM 1100-tt on Black Friday. It's the most beautiful sounding pedal I've ever had. Never had my own analog delay before (last delay I used was a TC G Major 2), but have played with people who have.

The DMM is just gorgeous. The repeats have a nice warmth to them. Even at high delay times I don't think it gets too low-fi. Nor have I noticed any discernible noise. And the modulation is just stellar - I just can't get over how nice it sounds to have a clean initial note, followed by subtly modulated repeats. And yes tap tempo is super handy.

JVJ

The DMMTT1100 and CBA Tonal Recall tick all the boxes. The Tonal Recall even has presets. I thought I wouldn't need the presets, but they sure come in handy.

Haven't tried any of the others you mentioned though.

blackjaw

dude
Silver Supporting Member
EQD Disaster Transport

Has fantastic modulation (from a light swirl to full blown sea sick with rate and depth), oscillation (can oscillate for days), tape voice (tone controls artifacts)

I can't get rid of this delay, it's a great Dark voice to counter the insanely bright Avalanche Run on my board and the modulation is so slick

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
None of these match all your criteria but maybe you might find one of them interesting for the ways in which the delays crumble and fade with select oscillatory overtones. One of these days I am going to buy myself The Wash.

-bEn r.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
The thing is you're not gonna get the extreme long controlled feedback w an analog pedal unless you're controlling the feedback w an expression pedal. With a digital delay like the Nemesis you could just set a long feedback and it won't go bonkers on you. Also does the great stereo spread and the analog engines are really good. I've had Space Echoes and the Nemesis is in that ballpark on the Tape and Noise Tape settings.

As far as analog snobs go I think I may have been in the inaugural hall of fame class for them. My main delay is a Moog 104mSD. Analog is my preference and does sound better, to me, but the Nemesis (and others) aren't leapyears behind it at all. 9/10ths of the way there. Great pedals and easier to use. I attached the Nemesis to the top of a stereo amp and it's worked flawlessly for the last month I've had it.

Edited to add: the dmmtt1100 is a great pedal but verrrrry clear for an analog delay. Damn near digital clear. Slight white noise floor, but that's a commonality between all BBD delays. The issue here is again the feedback unless you use expression and also no ambiant/octave trickery.

Absent Ocean

Thanks guys! I few things for the posts so far:

-Disaster Transport is a no go for me unfortunately. Tap tempo is a must for me, I should have included that in the OP

-I definitely welcome the weird/under the radar suggestions! I can't check out the demos until lunch but I'm excited to hear them.

-Interesting info about repeats with regards to analog delay! I've had a good few delay pedals in my time but the only analog ones I've used have been the Carbon Copy and Memory Boy so I'm not too hip when it comes to them. Expression control is something that I think would be cool but not likely something that would be practical for me.

1941WillysMB

None of these match all your criteria but maybe you might find one of them interesting for the ways in which the delays crumble and fade with select oscillatory overtones. One of these days I am going to buy myself The Wash.

-bEn r.
I have the Moby Dick and love it. The mod is funky and fun and it has a really gritty, dirty sound to the repeats.

DonaldDemon

DMM + DD7 has been my magic combo for a long time now. No instant oscillation but the feedback is placed well enough to manipulate with your foot. I'm actually going to replace the DMM with a Nemesis sometime soon for the presets but the DMM will be at my side until death do us part.

ummohyeah

I assume you're talking about a Big Box DMM right? Any idea how those compare to the TT models?
If you want Tap Tempo, analog w/ modulation, and the ability to oscillate, you want a TT Deluxe Memory Man most likely.

BTW If you are just wanting one pedal with tap tempo, the DD-7 can be set up to do that.

ummohyeah

Yeah the DD-7 is definitely no slouch but I want something a little more swirly and warm to compliment it.
Sorry, I meant if you want tap tempo on at least one of your two delays, the DD-7 can do that too, which would open up your options in the delay market. There's a **** ton of rad pedals out these days, sadly not all of them have tap tempo.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom