Absinthe with a Jazzmaster on the Side

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Gurn, May 8, 2019.

1. Gurn

Gurn Member

This stuff is 68% alcohol (not including the wormwood).
    That little glass will turn your knees into jelly if you're not accustomed to it.

This is part 3 of a series of compositions of about absinthe I’ve recorded.

Instruments:

Road-worn Jazzmaster
    KORG M-3 workstation
    Mr. Binh guitar (Nashville-tuning)

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  2. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Supporting Member

What brand did you get? It is funny. There is as much garbage Absinthe now as there was back in the early 1900's. It still is a fairly expensive drink to produce; then and now! Same tricks to make it cheaper, though they do not use copper sulfate as the fake green coloring these days like they did back then!

Nice to see you don't use the sugar. That is all nonsense.

Try to get a hold of some JADE brand if you have the means.

Bravo!

Gurn likes this.
  3. Gurn

Gurn Member

I have Jade Lucid. I didn't have a bottle at this location though. So I went w/ an old bottle of Pernod Extrait de Plantes. I'd picked of 3 bottles of that at a Louisiana supermarket for $19.95 each believe it or not. Pernod has replaced it w/ its 1805 original recipe(Recette Traditionelle)

I've tried a few different types. The Pernod Original 1805 Recipe is fine. So is the Jade Lucid.

But at $19.95 a bottle? I'd drink this stuff all the time. Here Jade Lucid=$59.95
    & Pernod 1805 Recette Traditionelle goes for $70.

BTW, the Jade brands are French. They're made by an American guy who moved to France. His Jade Nouvelle Orleans costs $100 a bottle. It's supposed to be amazing.

About the music: It's <2 minutes long but it took me months to compose & record. Not easy.

Good on-line spot to order absinthe is Maison Absinthe in Baton Rouge.
    Wide variety of domestic & foreign absinthes. Plus they sell all the accessories.

Maison Absinthe

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  4. sjwieczorkow

Interesting site. My first foray was the Jade's made in France by T.A. Breaux. Believe it or not, I think he is a guitar player too. This was maybe 12 years ago. I bit the bullet and ordered a bottle from absintheonline.com (not sure if it is still a viable link...I am at work at the moment). Amazing! I have since tried all 4 of their brands. Oddly enough, I have not tried their Lucid brand yet. I remember it was made for export. The 1901 was my favorite, but they are all great. They would send me emails for 20-25% off if I bought four bottles once or twice every year or so.

Great to meet somebody who knows their Absinthe. Most people buy the garbage and/or treat it as a novelty. It tastes like Alpine Springtime!

I remember opening my first bottle and thinking it was going to taste like black licorice. I hate black licorice, but I can't get enough Absinthe. Now I have to go get some.

I live in Milwaukee. Their is a distillery here called "Great Lakes Distillery" They make two different Absinthes. The real deal. They come in 375ml bottles. One is a "rouge". They are good quality, but those four Jades are like a religous experience. It tastes like I imagine dancing around with Dorothy and the Tin Man must have been in the poppy fields on the way to the Wizard Of Oz.

Very refreshing.

Cheers to to you!

Gurn likes this.
  5. Gurn

Gurn Member

Oh no. I didn’t know Ted Breaux was a guitarist. If so - I screwed up.
    I need to redo this video w/ a bottle of Jade & get him a link.

He’s from New Orleans - I’m from the Nola burbs.

6. sjwieczorkow

It is indeed the same guy. I forgot what forum he used to frequent. This was quite a while ago. I think he was/is an Analytical Chemist or Organic Chemist. He got a hold of some original stash and did his best to reverse engineer the Absinthes in what we now know as those four Jade products.

Same guy!

I wonder what he is up to now. I haven't had a bottle in a couple of years. I need to get some of the good stuff for the Spring/Summer.

Gurn likes this.
  7. sjwieczorkow

From a 2017 thread here on TGP:

Do any of you guys go back to the old Weber boards (I'm talking late '90s)? There was a guitar playing, amp loving all-around great guy who contributed greatly to those discussion boards. His name was T.A. Breaux.

TA ( or Ted, as I got to know him) was a bio-chemist who was almost single-handedly responsible for bringing Absinthe "back" into vogue.

Ted went to France and reverse-engineered the chemistry. Amazing!

http://www.bestabsinthe.com/history.htm

https://www.wired.com/2005/11/absinthe/

http://bittersoutherner.com/absinthe-makes-the-heart-grow-stronger-ted-breaux/

Gurn likes this.
  8. sjwieczorkow

Interesting. It appears the former "absintheonline.com" (where I used to buy from with $$$ import/shipping fees) is now "bestabsinthe.com" which links to your "Maison" site.

Gurn likes this.