Absolute BEST Big Muff you've ever heard/played?

Ardour

Supporting Member
The Arcane Analog BMP-73 Ram's Head clone is amazing and I am half tempted to say better than a Sovtek Civil War. The BA Tri-Dirty Booster is really nice. I've played bubble font and black Russian ones, and a few other clones.

teleman55

I like my little big muff. It's been on my board for the band for at least 5 years, probably more. It's about 8-10 years old and still ticking. I've only used the old 70s and 80s ones and this though. They all kinda do the same thing really. This one just smooths off the rough edges a bit. Not sonically, just use wise. plus a smaller footprint.

lofibrian

Supporting Member
I've had so many...

Stress FX Ramshead - retired builder , I used to own 3 of these, super amazing sounding.
Arc Shepherd - Hot Rod version of a VRH. 3 way mid switch is perfectly voiced.
SUF Violet Menace - That mids control is a miracle.

I've had a few muffs and derivatives. Little Big Muff, NYC big box, SUF Tri, Deluxe Big Muff, Bass Big Muff, Frantone Peach Fuzz, BAT Pharaoh, EQD Hoof, BE Musket, and BA Tri/Ram.

The Tri/Ram is the one that stuck. Super musical, and can be dialed in for different muffy flavours. I do have the green Russian reissue on the way though, which sounds flipping fantastic.

pepedede

My 1978 opamp bigmuff in a homemade smaller box. The 2 opamps are an unmatched 421 and 428 from memory but by god it sounds incredible. I only use it rarely now when I want the siamese dream style wall of fuzz. I have bought/ tried many others but nothing came close. The vintage ones especially are very variable.

Gracehoper

Oh, the Muff rabbit hole...

I have about 10 Muffs / clones because there is no one "best". But if I could only bring one it would probably be the Stomp Under Foot Ram's Head. To my ears the Ram's Head sounds the closest to the ideal Muff sound I have in my head.
That said I also use Russian Muffs / clones for some applications, a v4 op-amp for more extreme, in-your-face stuff and a SUF The Pie for leads.

Hoth

Silver Supporting Member
I would put any of Skreddy’s big muff variants up there. No one can use modern components and still tune a classic sound out of a muff like he does. I wish I didn’t sell any of the originals I had owned but only food beats them for me.

On a Budget

Been really digging the versatility of the maxon fuzz elements water fuzz, a ramshead style fuzz with a parametric eq

Dandy13

I'm not huge into muffs, I've still got my old late 90's/early 00's era big box on the shelf. I really love the sound of the Cream Puff and the Hoof. I'm actually pretty close to pulling the trigger on a hoof or a hoof reaper

skunx

Supporting Member
Wren and cuff tri Pie.

My inner 12 year old wants to scream "Your mothers big muff is the best I've ever played with" though...sorry.

lp_bruce

Barber Trifecta is another good one.
I have a Barber Trifecta on my board now. I love it. When we were recording our last CD there was a Trifecta in the studio and we decided to give it a whirl. We ended up using it on 3 songs and I bought one online a few weeks later.

Last edited:

OotMagroot

Supporting Member
I doesn't get much mention these days, but I thought the Mojo Hand Iron Bell was the best.

kor

My favorites have been:
Eqd cloven hoof
Blackout twosome
Black arts pharoh

Not sure if it's based off of the big muff but the dunwich wizard fuzz certainly has that sound and is pure doom in a big ass box.

I also have a basic audio tri/ram on the way.

Stratburst70

When I'm playing through a Marshall amp, I love my SUF PI. That's a savage little pedal.

For Fender-style amps, I love the SUF Red Menace (sensing a pattern here?)

On bass, the Fuzzhugger Bass Bloom is brilliant. A shame it's not made anymore.