Absolute clean boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eclipseall, Jul 10, 2008.

1. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Im looking for a pedal that i can place after my distortions that will raise my volume for lead work.

Ive tried the Fulltone Fatboost 1 ans 2 and some other ones but as great as they are for pre drive boosting, they add to much color when placed after the drives.

I want a clean volume raising boost that is compleatly transparent and does not at all alter the tone of your signal, it just raises the volume.

Any suggestions?

2. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

For the short time I had it, the ZVex SHO seemed to do exactly that....no added gain, just your tone louder.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso. Transparent? not exactly. It makes you sound like "you", but more. Mojo in a box. Almost plays your solo for you.

For absolute transparency, the RC Booster will do the job. But I can't recommend the SCP enough.

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Colorless (unlike the RC, SHO, etc.), no added gain, clean boosting with a superb buffer:

Learn about it here.

Buy it here.

-Ben

5. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

6. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

The SHO, Super-Duper, and the boost side of the Box of Rock all share the same basic headroom-controlling gain circuit. As the gain knob is turned down, the headroom is readjusted to fit as large a signal as possible to preserve its integrity. As it is turned up, the headroom is shrunk proportionately to the gain level to maintain the highest integrity up to the maximum output volume.

Many other modern boosters have this same type of feature but accomplish it by using an op-amp. Op-amps are fine, but keep in mind that they are Class AB push-pull devices, and my units use Class A single-ended one-transistor designs. When my booster circuit breaks up, at maximum gain, it sounds drastically different from a chip.

Boosters modeled after the famous LPB and many other older boosters are not like this... those circuits have fixed gain and will break up internally when hit with a high signal, and use a post-gain master volume on the output.

7. Smü

Smü Member

I just bougth the MXR Custom Audio Electronics Line Driver/Boost. That one should do the trick, but I'l keep posted.

8. yodchula

yodchula Member

Keeley Katana

Landgraff Clean Boost

9. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

AFAIK the Landgraff is actually a ZVEX Super Hard-On.

10. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

I came across the Creation Audio Lab MK.4.23 on youtube

Any thoughts on this one?

11. X - Road 28

X - Road 28 Member

Got mine 2 days ago:

Quiet
    Transparent across the dial 0 db to 24 db
    No coloration of you r tone
    Built like a tank

I'm extremely happy with it.

X

12. pgissi

pgissi Member

To mimimize tonal alteration to some reasonable degree while considering cost to accomplish means you need a pedal with the ability to blend back in the pre pedal processed clean tone. The clean blend typically is set up as a balance control between the clean bypass and gain/od stage so it can be adjusted.

Although a Clean blend is typically buffered there is minimal coloration versus no clean blend where the signal is processed through the gain stage and maybe eq control 100%

There are several pedals that I know of that have clean blend but I only have experience with the Voodoo Sparkle. I use the Sparkle as an end of OD sub chain clean boost. I have forgotten the other names of pedals offering this but you can find the info here somewhere.

One thing to consider when deciding on a booster pedal is the amount of clip and boost a pedal can deliver, if it has gobs available it may not get as clean as you want unless it designed to be a high performance clean boost.

Someone mentioned the CAE, thats probably a good place to start since its designed to do be a buffer/booster primarily.

But if you want more versaility (I also use the Sparkle for TS808 tones or use it to Stack OD's) an OD pedal thats not too hot, more clean boost than OD is ideal and serves as an additional OD pedal. Think of it this way, having a clean blend is like treating your signal in the same manner as you would in a console channel with aux sends where the original signal is passed along unaffected along with the effected.

Without that its series processing which is fine for what it does, the coloration that brings but for the most natural and transparent clean boost, parallel processing works best IMO of course and console operation reflects that.

13. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

14. bradw

bradw Member

Boosta Grande

15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

ain't dat da troof. . .

16. superechotwin

superechotwin Member

I had the same problem - my fatboost seemed to get lost somewhere during live sets and practice. I bought the Box of Rock primarily for its boost and it seems to add a little clarity to my fuzz for 'lead' playing. With the Box of Rock I get two boosts: one clean and one slightly dirty (depending on settings).

17. jgyn

jgyn Member

18. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

19. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Zach aren't yours cheaper too??

20. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

+1 Flying Dragon. THE BEST IMO