Absolutely Amazing - Phoenix Custom Electronics

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iggs, Feb 3, 2008.

1. iggs

iggs Member

Just got the Supernova fuzz recently and have been blown away by how good it sounds. It's just mind boggling that one doesn't here more of them on TGP and other forums since their stuff is just fantastic. I reviewed the pedal a bit a few days ago in a thread I posted but have been playing it more and it just sounds fantastic.

Built great with some innovative options that allow you to tweak the pedal (Si Fuzz Face in this case) to the setup so it actually works with it rather then against it, like some other fuzz pedals tend to. And most of all, it sounds phenomenal!!! You want thick and woolly? Sure ... You want crunchy? Sure ... EJ? Sure ... It's all there.

I like to check out stuff by the "less-talked about" builders and this one is a sure hit! I'm really happy I went ahead and got it. It's definitely one of the most under-rated pedals from one of the most under-rated builders out there right now.

They have a Germ version too ... and a "bender" ... and a "ranger" ... and a ...

:drool

http://www.phoenixcustomelectronics.com/pix.html

p.s. just for all the evil voices out there ... I'm in no way affiliated with PCE and only posted the review because I felt compelled to spread the good word around.

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Thanks for the review.

I'm in Toronto too and want to pick up a SuperNova

3. btmish

btmish Member

I have a Ranger from him, and it's very impressive. I would like to try that octopus!

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I concur!

5. martinsmith06

martinsmith06 Member

Lady Stardust owner here. Don't plan on parting with it anytime in the near future.

6. playthecray

playthecray Member

Is anyone using the PCE Ranger through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or other blackface amp?

7. thedroid

thedroid Member

I've got a Ranger and used to have a DRRI. I wouldn't recommend it. The Ranger sounds good with my Swart AST, but the amp I had that it sounded best with was a Epi Valve Jr. The Ranger also likes humbuckers better than single coils. If you listen to the clip on the PCE site, that's a deluxe tele with humbuckers into an AC15.

8. drod2045

drod2045 Member

that boost pedal looks interesting! I might have to try that one in the near future

9. playthecray

playthecray Member

Thanks for your response. I still don't understand why a blackface amp that is already overdriven would not sound great getting hit with a treble booster.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  10. thedroid

thedroid Member

It would probably sound better at higher volumes, but for me treble boosters sound best with amps that will really get into Marshall or Vox distortion territory. My Swart, for example, sounds pretty crunchy when it's wide open.

11. Ramblin' Bob

Ramblin' Bob Member

I have a Little Red Rocket, which is a Tonebender, and I am quite happy with it.

12. coot tone

coot tone Member

I have a Ranger and Lady Stardust. I love them both and they both sound great through my '61 brown tolex Deluxe, my '66 blackface Super Reverb, and my '68 Vibrolux Reverb. I made the mistake of selling the LS, then bought it back from the buyer. It'll never leave this house again unless it's for service.

Their stuff is top-notch, and as soon as I can afford it, I'm going to buy a "The Fuzz" and "Cream Tangerine".

Speaking of service...Alex services stuff and turns it around a la Geoffrey Teese, which means QUICK!! I'm not affiliated with them, just extremely happy with their product and service!

13. playthecray

playthecray Member

I am definitely getting a Ranger.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  14. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

The more I play mine, the more I realize...
    Supernova is a really good fuzz...very Hendrix later-era, Dolly Dagger, etc.

15. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I have a one of a kind, Super nova, overdrive and boost all in one enclosure.
    Its called a Beta Orionis.
    I've toyed with the idea of selling(Only cuz I'm not using Fuzz right now) but I'ts such a cool Pedal.
    Every Pedal I've tried from PCE has been top notch.