Absolutely loving my Gretsch 5422...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by conanb, May 3, 2015.

1. conanb

conanb Member

Such a beautiful sound out of this guitar. Keeps getting commented upon by others too. I've got it running through some Jekyll & Hyde distortion and even with the drive way up it maintains that big boomy clear Gretsch sound.
    I started out with Flatwound 12's as I prefer the sound but I've had to give in to 10's as it was just too tough to play. Now it plays beautifully but still sounds just as rich in tone as before. They really got it right with these blacktop filtertron pickups and since I fixed the floating bridge I can wail on the whammy as much as I like with no tuning problems.

Is there a better sounding guitar at this price (retail between $750-$850 street price)?? I know the good people of TGP will inform me that there is but the question is kind of rhetorical. I haven't heard one.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. Turi

Turi Member

Nice. The blacktop filtertrons are killer pickups.
    I had a G5420T - totally know what you mean about that big boomy Gretsch sound, even with high amounts of gain.

"That Great Gretsch Sound" is just so unmistakable.
    Check this out
    http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/g...ighting-where-you-would-expect-even-less.html

Correctly identified that whatever I was hearing, was not a Gretsch.
    It's just so easy to pick out.

The Blacktops have that sound in spades, my G5420T did anyway.

I got rid of it because I didn't dig the neck.. I complained about it hurting my wrists.
    I know now, that my wrists hurt after extensive periods of playing because I don't have correct hand posture. So getting rid of the G5420T was ****ing stupid and I want it back.

I put some fresh .11s on mine - not sure what it came with standard - they felt good - maybe try them, smack bang inbetween the .12s you liked the sound of, and the .10s you like the playability of.

Mine came with a secured bridge already - good move sorting that out on yours.

I think I'd really dig one like yours - with the double cut, mine was a single cut and upper fret access wasn't the greatest. I thought all the double cut ones were semi-hollows - is yours?
    Wouldn't make sense for it to come with a floating bridge if it's a semi-hollow, so I'm assuming it's fully hollow. Very cool.

Man, looking at that makes me miss the Bigsby so much haha. So much fun.

Have you got it to feedback yet? The G5420T was easy to control feedback with for me. Feels so good to. You can actually feel the guitar vibrating in your hands.
    Crazy.

3. conanb

conanb Member

Yeah, the feedback can be fantastic. Fully hollow so its easy to get it to feedback and yeah, the whole thing starts to vibrate. The position of the controls are perfect as well so I just ride the master volume when I'm rocking the heavy feedback levels. :)

4. toneboy

toneboy Member

i have the very first prototype made make in 2007.
    its a 5122 dc in orange.
    back then the f holes were not bound.
    i had some input on this model back then.
    it was very much a passion of mine that it be made in a double-cut
    version.
    im glad you are enjoying it!
    i really love mine.

5. conanb

conanb Member

Wow, if you had input into this guitar design you can be very proud of how it came out. I've got an SG and a Rickenbacker here and it's got the most beautiful tone of all three. The SG is the most versatile but I can't put the Gretsch down. Such a beautiful tone, and everyone I've played it around agrees. Also a killer looking guitar. I've actually removed the scratch plate you can see in the photo above and it looks great.

6. custom53

custom53 Member

Sweet...! A friend of mine just got one, in white. He loves it and it sounds great.

Congrats..

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I agree with the OP.
    I think the Gretsch Electromatic range are THE best value for $$ mid priced guitars available today :)

8. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

I've considered a 5422. What is the advantage of the 6000 series over the 5422?

9. bob-i

bob-i Member

I've wondered the same thing. I have a Power Jet 6131. When I bought it I compared to the Electromatic Jets and there was no comparison, especially the electronics and fretwork, but more recently I see less difference in the quality. The blacktop PUs are great, fretwork a good as any, fit and finish is great, a little less bling.

Interested in other opinions.

10. jman

jman Supporting Member

I really like mine, it has settled in great-on these the back and sides are poplar or basswood and the hardware is cheaper than the 6000's (had to replace the bridge with a Gotoh straightaway to intonate properly).
    Bigsby is stable, Blacktops really do sound nice...very good guitar, overall.

[​IMG]

11. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Are the 5422s at all neck heavy? I am totally allergic to neck dive & some of the Gretsch double cuts are neck heavy.
    What is the weight like on the 5422s?

12. Harvest

Harvest Member

13. conanb

conanb Member

No neck dive here. Very well balanced guitar. That's not a 5422 in the pic above tho is it? Its got a slightly different shape and a totally different bigsby. Is that the 6000 you're referring to?

14. Jaytait

Jaytait Member

That is a double cut jet shown above. I think jman was more comparing 5 - 6000 series than the 5422 specifically.

I recently got a Snowcrest White 5422! It is lovely but I haven't had a chance to play it in full amp'd anger. Very interested in the views here. The quality of the guitar seems amazing and up there with much more expensive guitars.

Also I read in a separate thread (sorry can't remember which one) about one where the "electromatic" sticker was removed. It looked fantastic but the poster didn't know how it had been done. Does anyone know anything about it?

15. conanb

conanb Member

Be interested to hear about this. I don't know why they felt the need to put the word Electromatic on the headstock. It does look out of place IMHO.

16. Jaytait

Jaytait Member

Anyone know anything hing about the headstock "sticker"?

17. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

What is the body width on the 5422? Is it as big as the 16" width 6120s?

18. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Gretsch has used the Electromatic name for years. There's no shame in it lol.

19. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Member

Exactly. The original Electromatic model was introduced in the early 1950's and went on to be re-christened as the Country Club-- one of Gretsch's top-of-the-line models. The "Electromatic" name on Gretsch instruments goes all the way back to their earliest attempts at electrifying guitars... it's a big part of the Company's heritage.

As far as the Electromatic "sticker", if you are referring to the headstock logo, it's not a sticker-- it's underneath the finish. What some people have done is place a black opaque vinyl decal (or even electrical tape) over the headstock logo... maybe this helps them feel better about themselves? I dunno... sort of like folks who strip the decal off of a Squier Strat or Tele and replace it with an aftermarket "Fender" spaghetti logo... I don't understand the logic here, but hey, it's your guitar-- do whatever you want.

20. Turi

Turi Member

Didn't know the electromatic name had such a long history.
    I was considering covering it up.. Won't now..