ABwhy not? (ABY question)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Jul 11, 2006.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

I would like an ABY pedal that can do...well, let me illustrate it so it will be easier to understand:

[​IMG]

Does that exist?...in Lehle quality? It may be possible to design this with fewer switches, but this is what I want to be able to do...give or take tuner mute.

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

You should send that diagram and description to WOBO Guitar Electronics, they can definitely make it for you. I've had some weird switching ideas that they made for me in the past, I will have another unit made in the future as well.

http://www.true-bypass-loopers.com

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

I hesitate to have one built for me because I don't think I want a simple looping box. Most, if not all, of the higher end amp switchers have added features like buffers, polarity reverse, transformers, trim pots for gain adjustments, etc.

Also, I noticed I can lose a switch and shrink the box by combining the A and B switch and just making one an A/B.

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

Here is my idea:

One box.
    Four switches.
    Two inputs.
    Two outputs.

You have your wet in and dry in.
    You have an A/B that toggles between amp A and amp B.
    You have an A&B that sends the signal to both amps.
    Everything so far would send both the wet and dry signals together/combined.
    Nothing new or fancy so far, are you with me?

Ok, now for the good stuff.
    You have two more switches, one I call Split and one I call Flip.
    When the "Split" is engaged, the wet now goes to amp A and dry to amp B.
    When the "Flip" is engaged, it simply reverses it and now the wet goes to amp B and the dry to amp A.

An example of how this would be used:
    You have a Memory Lane in a loop of your D.Loop. You send the dry signal back to the D.Loop via the return and the wet signal on to the wet input of the ABY, the dry signal from the Memory Lane will catch back up to the ABY's dry input later. This will give you five output options with the split or combined wet/dry signals. You can send both signals to either amp, both signals to both amps, one signal to each amp or the other way around.

Is this possible and able to have a transformer or polarity switch too?
    Are there others that would also find this useful?

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

That's no problem. The switcher I had them make has 3 inputs, a loop for my RC-20 Loop Station that can be switched between two of those signals for input w/ input on/off switch (mutes live output and sends whichever selected line to RC-20 input), tuner out (mutes all input and sends clean signal out to StroboStomp), buffered stereo outs w/ individual level controls, a switchable effects loop for one of those outputs, and each of the four signals (clean, dirty, echo/FX and Loop Station) has two switches to engage output to each side of my stereo amp setup. $299, 12 switches/LEDs... looks great, completely ridiculous custom order. Next will be a 5 or 6 looper with stereo inputs with adjustable buffers, mute switches and A/B/Y for clean and dirty channels, each effect will be switchable between those channels with switch for stereo output on Echo/FX channel independently from clean/dirty blend and finally a switch on each effect loop to remove them from the live chain and "teleport" them to being placed after the RC-20 Loop Station's output so I can "effect" that as well (and twiddle with knobs while it's playing back(wards?) guitar parts).... Something like that, anyway. I have made many, many diagrams in planning the two of these, I am glad to have one of them out of the way!

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

That sounds rather complicated!
    I am trying to keep it simple and yet still do what I want done. Here is a picture of my Loooper I had Dave build me. It was the first of it's kind and he began making some for others and next thing you know, multiple variations of it pop up on his custom pages. It's a basic 2 loop but I wanted the loops to be able to be switched between series and parallel. Also, each loop has a blend pot so that I can control the mix of the effect(s). The original idea was to try to mimic a bi-phase by having a Phase 45 in one loop, a Phase 90 or 100 in the other loop and running them in parallel. That yielded some interesting sounds, but it was no Bi-Phase.

[​IMG]

I don't really use all those controls these days and when I look down at it, I feel it's a bit excessive and ostentatious. That's what has prompted me to lean towards the Lehle D.Loop and a Radial BigShot ABY, Lehle Dual or this creation or "dream" ABY if you will.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Very cool... I was just trying to show that they can build your "dream" ABY for you no problem, it doesn't have to be as absurd as the one I had made. Here's a closeup pic of the WOBO unit on one of my boards..
    [​IMG]
    They were very cool to work wtih and not many people here have their stuff, so I try to plug for them when I can...

8. gururyan

gururyan Member

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

It's the biggest pedal I own right now, but it does have 9 jacks for input and output and 12 switches with LEDs. The box is not very heavy and very sturdy. If I find another enclosure I like better for the next unit I'm sure I could have them house it in something different, but this one is actually pretty comfortable in size because I wouldn't want to struggle with each switch being too close together (It's going to be pretty frequently used I think for switching/layering sounds). They did show me a picture of another unit in the same size enclosure and gave dimensions for my approval before making it. I'm OK with it because it does a lot of things, but not every custom unit comes in that (I think it was one of the larger-sized orders possibly). :)