ABY help, ground?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JackButler, Jan 26, 2008.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Ok, used to use a Bigshot ABY to run two amps, then switched to a %13 Switchazel for the led's, etc. Then...With my Soldano it just wouldn't work, ground loop hum or whatever. SO I sold that and rebought the ABY as it was the only I knew of that had the lift...So my newest dilemma is one the B channel on it sounds like crap with the amp I want to use it with (Two Rock), just cuts something out with the lift engaged, argh! Not useable!

So, any suggestions for a great switcher, aby or whatever? I'd hate to have to run a Bradshaw sysem as I only run a few effects, but I need to be able to do what I need to do ya know. I checked into the Lehles awhile back but they don't have a lift or hum elimainator listed. Or am I missing something here guys?

Is there a mod or something to one of the amps I could os to eliminate it? The Soldano seems to be the problem amp fro the hum problem when running an ABY.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Man, I hate this!

2. doublee

doublee Member

Youre not reading the directions carefully, the Radial will work fine. The Lehle has all that but alot more $...

3. JackButler

What do you mean?
    The Bigshot worked great with all my old amps, but not with these.
    Only way the Bigshot is sounding good on the B side is with the left slider down, but then I get the crazy hum.
    I have tried every possible button conifguration and swapped amps around. With it eliminating the hum, the B side suffers very bad, unuseable and the amp's tone is horrible.

4. doublee

doublee Member

They suggest putting a buffer BEFORE the Radial when that happens. In my case I put a Boss whatever in front and it cleaned right up. You are working the phase and lift switches? If none applies then contact them with a "WTF??"

5. JackButler

Ha, cool, thanks.
    Yep, I went and tried a buffer before it and it helped tons.
    I might still check into the Lehle with the dedicated isolated loops though.
    Anyoen knwo the difference between the Dual and the 1at3 models?

6. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I use a Radial Switchbone with no issues, it even has a killer boost and tuner out. You can use either a unbuffered imput or buffered. Scott
    checkout the new A/B/Y from Lavaman-THAT looks awesome!!

7. JackButler

Thanks Jay, I will.
    Right now I am thinking the Lehle Dual looks like the one.

8. enge

enge Member

Sent PM
    enge

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

That should do it.:AOK

10. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I had a similar problem before running a JCM800 2205, Mesa Dual rec tremoverb. I used a Morley A/B/y for the longest time - running both always made one of the amps sound weak/thin. After having the radial, lehle, 3 ebay made A/Bers I ended up with the framptone 3 banger -

Framptone's 3 banger is the only A/B/Y type pedal I've seen that has Ground lifts and phase reversal per output. :)

11. JackButler

So, from my readings on the Lehle, difference between the DUal and 1@3 is the Dual had a transformer (what is this used for?) and adjustable volumes.
    Which do I need?

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

depends how you want to work...do you want to have both amps/channels on at the same time or just have one on at a time...I had an older Dual and now have an older 1@3 which allows me to have one or the other amp/channel on but not both at the same time...its dead quiet with no hum but I cannot have both amps/or channels on in Y mode...the cool thing about the 1@3 is it has an fx loop that allows you to select amp/channel B with loop or without...you can put a tuner or delay in there...I stick my Klon here for those times I don't want the buffer...

the Dual has an isolation transformer and allows you to have either
    amp/channel on seperately or both on at the same time...it's passive and dead quiet...if you're getting the newer versions they have all sorts of programability and features that expands their usefulness but is a bit more compicated...they are even more expensive and you may or may not need the added features...I didn't...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I have the older Dual as well and love it. I think I'll try buying a couple more used since I don't need or want the new features.

14. Burkhardl

Burkhardl Member

Hi JackButler,

[SIZE=-1]When you are looking for an ABY (Y normally stands for playing both amps at the same time) you have to use a switcher with a galvanic isolation between output A and B. The Dual (old style), the Dual SGoS and the Little Dual have got a transformer inside, which makes this galvanic isolation. The transformer I use, is a transformer which is designed for the very weak signal of the PUs of an electric guitar. I have designed it by my own and it is produced it in my workshop.
    If you don't need the programming features of my Dual SGoS I would recommend the Little Dual which is now shipping. The Little Dual has the same tonal qualities and it has also like the Dual SGoS gold-plated ground and phase-reverse Switches but it is much smaller and has only two knobs: one for A or B and one for A plus B (Y). I think this would be the right Switcher for your needs.

All the best
    Burkhard
    [/SIZE]

15. JackButler

Got one of the new Lehle Dual SGoS, pricey but well worth it. I should never need another switcher again!
    Fantastic quality, the buttons feel great, and Burkhard was wonderful (as well as the seller from here) at anwering each and every question I threw out there.
    Look not further, Lehle is it!

16. Burkhardl

Burkhardl Member