ABY switcher to play two amps at once?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MingoDubbelweid, May 12, 2008.

1. MingoDubbelweid

MingoDubbelweid Member

2. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I used to have one of those, I did notice some coloration to the tone, and the lack of an indicator LED to let me know what channel I was on was a little annoying. But for a passive switcher it does work better than most. You might consider one of their active solutions, like the Switchbone, it has quite a few more options, and the switching is completely silent, but it's pretty pricey. PM me if you're interested in a slightly used one.

3. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

4. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

You can also go for the arguably best option in one of the Lehle switchers. They can be had for reasonable prices used.

5. ManCas

ManCas Member

I'm using a Startouch ST-2 ( www.startouchpedals.com ). it's passive, true-bypass, hand-made, bright LEDs, 100 bucks. No tone coloration, no pop noises, no ground hum, etc. It works great with my setup. I haven't tried Lehle tho. Good luck

Cheers

6. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

+1 for the Lehle. In fact, the reason I have a Switchbone available was because I just switched to a Lehle 1@3. You might ask yourself if you really need the Y (running both amps at once). I determined that I did not, and by using the 1@3 as just an A/B switch, it allows me to use the C output and the C>B return as a relay bypassed loop on the clean amp. Works fantastically, and it's really nice to have separate switches that take me directly into each amp, with the loop being completely isolated- makes a huge difference in feel.

7. meterman

meterman Member

I've got a Startouch ABY that I use for a similar purpose. Well made pedal, great price, small and cool looking, bright LEDs...it does pop a bit when switching but maybe they all do. I've got a Lehle Dual switcher on the way to compare it to, may be letting the Startouch go....

8. shakti

shakti Member

+1 on Lehle. I've used lots of switchers (Kendrick, Framptone), but the Lehle 1at3 SGoS I currently have is the only one that didn't mess with my tone.

As has been said, if you don't really need the "Y" option the 1at3 is excellent, although it *will* do that as well (you can even feed three amps at once). But it's an entirely true bypass switcher, so unless you have a buffer before the switcher you will experience some impedance/loading issues, and you *may* get ground loops and/or phase cancellations when running amps at the same time.

If you need something that deals with ground loops and phase issues, the Dual SGoS will do exactly that and still have all the features of the 1at3, *plus* stereo in.

If you need something that also buffers, you should try the Dual Loop SGoS, which has switchable buffers.

Lehle has a switcher for just about every setup, they are midi compatible and you can even link two together! I sound like I'm on the payroll, but I am just very thrilled with their ingenuity and absolutely brilliant (read: pure) sound.

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I use the Radial Tonebone Bigshot ABY passive switcher. The best part about it is being able to ground lift. Totally gets rid of any earth hum from using two amps in a Y situation. One of the few boxes that never seem to leave my pedalboard!

10. doublee

doublee Member

I tried the Bigshot, the Lehle Dual and the Switchbone, kept the 'Bone. I a/b'd extensively with the Lehle and experienced no tonal difference. The SBone is better than the Bigshot which sometimes needs a buffer before it and has no lights meaning you are sometimes not sure which amp youre on, other than that it is fine and cheap. The Bone also has a boost feature and a 'drag' control which is sometimes useful.

11. stump

stump Member

My vote goes to the Radial Switchbone JX2. Excellent features, excellent tone at a fair price.

12. tonio19

tonio19 Member

Don't forget Loop-master, and he does custom work if you want something "Special". Rememeber though, he is slooooow. (He calls it being busy? or really good at what he does... whatever?) Count on a solid month from order, to shipping.

13. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

Bingo

14. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

BUT GOOD!

+1 for Loopmaster!

15. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Switchbone for me. Active, load control, phase switch, boost, 2 ch at once...all good!

got a Loop Master too..all depends on what you'd need it for.

16. MingoDubbelweid

MingoDubbelweid Member

Wow, lot's of options. What I really want to do is play through my Champ and my Reverberocket at the same time, and close-mike each one for recording a "doubled" track. I don't think I need a lot of options or bells and whistles, just a good sound from both amps. Can I do that with a passive box like the Lehle P-split?

17. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Lehle, although expensive is the best I've used. Been using the 1st generation Dual and 1@3 and really dig them. The 2nd gen have more features and are a little more.

Startouch look very impressive especially for the price.

I'm also using a Switchazel and I seem to be getting great performance out of it. Has ABY, Tuner out, and even a built in controllable boost (Lift).