ABY switches

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vintage66, Jan 27, 2008.

1. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Do they lose volume/signal when either using one amp or both? What are some good ones? The Tonebone looks interesting for $69 or there's a Morley that's only $40. I'm sure there are better ones too-what are the differences? The Tonebone has a reverse ground or something like that to prevent ground loop buzz. I have a Jcm800 single channel that I would like to be able to switch with my Traynor for cleaner sounds.

2. doublee

doublee Member

The Radial ToneBone is in fact 250 ish. Its the Radial Bigshot thats 70 ish, with many less features. Have had both and kept the Tonebone.

3. billm408

billm408 Member

I had a Radial Switchbone but returned it. It was fine for A/B'ing between two heads with separate cabs, but there was noticeable tone suck trying to run both into a single cab. YMMV.

4. soldano16

soldano16 Member

You're confused. The Big Shot would be the $69 unit. Good switch with good grounding help but won't help your signal. Their higher end product compensates.

5. vintage66

vintage66 Member

So I have to spend big bucks or my signal suffers? I'm not looking to spend $250-how bad is the Bigshot? How about the Morley George Lynch Tripler? It has a boost knob.

6. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I used the Whirlwind ABY box and there was no hum and no tone suckage between the two amps it was connected to.

7. boltino

boltino Member

I can understand how a passive ABY would be fine for running each amp individually, but wouldn't you want an active unit if you are running in Y mode a lot to avoid signal loss from a passive split?

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Two heads into a single cab? Could be some sort of phase cancellation going on? I checked Radial's site and the Switchbone is not intended to be used to run two heads into one cab. They have a Headbone that lets you switch head A and head B betwen one cab but they don't talk about both heads simultaneously.

9. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

You are taking your life into your own hands if you defeat the ground on one of your amps!

Spend $250 on a good optically or transformer isolated pedal like the Lehle Dual and live a long a full life, my friend. It's a small price to pay to get zero hum and zero tone suckage with zero safety risk!

10. boltino

boltino Member

I hear this all the time, but I have yet to have someone explain it. Would you mind? I know people I respect on both sides of the fence. Something feels wrong to me about lifting the ground. But if ground loops come from two paths to the ground, lifting one makes sense too since everything should still be grounded. I'd love an explanation.

11. kbphx

kbphx Member

...because the amp that has the ground lifted still wants to be grounded somewhere; there's a path to ground via the cabling to the other, grounded amp BUT if you provide a shorter/easier path to ground (by, say, touching a mic with your lips or simultaneously touching your strings and one of the amp switches, etc.) then YOU become the chosen path for those electrons. Electricity always wants the easiest path to ground.

12. boltino

boltino Member

Awesome, that makes sense. Thank you! :BEER

13. eru

eru Member

Yes, but there's no reason to buffer the signal if you're just using it as an A/B.

14. straticus

straticus Member

Try these guys http://www.woboge.com/

I have their ABY pedal and love it! No tone suckage. Built like a tank and great people to deal with.

Plus, the price is only $115.00.:)

15. plygtar

plygtar Member

Yes. Thanks for the NO NO NO. Agreed. Following my posting I read somemore about ground loop hum and discovered that using a two prong adapter is not safe (in the event the amp malfunctions and sends a high voltage charge onto the amp chassis) so instead I am after an Ebtech Hum Eliminator box which essentially contains a transformer that will eliminate the hum caused by a ground loop. I still like the Startouch AB switchbox.