ABY'ing Channels on Vox Heritage AC15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stoney Stomp, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

Hey there...
    I recently gave up on my Orange AD30TC for a Vox Heritage AC15 and i'm not in the slightest bit unhappy about it! :) I love the tone and the new brightness and sparkle that it adds...even with my Les Paul.

I did have a question though and thought maybe someone here could help.
    I've heard tale of some people using an ABY box to run both channels independently and together. I was curious to know if anyone knew how safe this was...and also, if there were any phasing issues?

Ideally...I'd love to use the Top Boost channel for mildly dirty/cleanish and then run it WITH the EF86 channel for my drive channel (because it's fantastic!) but keep the top boost running as well for some added sparkle.

can anyone offer any help here?

Thanks!

2. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

....awfully quiet in here....:)

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I don't know about running the channels TOGETHER, but I would think you couls use an A/B box to run the channels independently without hurting anything.

Cool question, BTW! Never thought of that one on the AC15...

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

I used to run my Heritage AC30 (exactly the same pre-amps as your AC15) with an ABY box. it's completely safe, and will not damage your amp.
    I never liked playing both channels together though. I don't know if that was just down to my personal preference or phasing issues. i suspect that the two channels are out of phase with each other.

5. mobis8

mobis8 Member

I think that it is completely safe. I have even been told it is safe to play guitar through once channel, and run bass or even a mic for vocals in the other...

6. epluribus

epluribus Member

Got a schematic? Sometimes jumpering is good, sometimes it eats signal or loads your pups, sometimes it does nothing at all.

--Ray

7. distorted noise

distorted noise Member

try doing the input crossover. i did it and it sounds great. put one lead into the hi input of the top boost then into the low input of the first channel then plug your guitar lead into the hi input of the first channel. this should work and both volumes work together.

8. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I am using an A/B/Y box with my Heritage AC30 as well. Works fine. I set the inputs, knobs and switches to deliver jangle clean on the TB channel and a gained up sound on the EF86 channel. You can run them together. Like a footswitchable two-channel amp now.

Enjoy!

=K

9. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

Hmm..intriguing! just use a standard patch?
    Thanks for that!

10. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

Do you dig the way the two channels sound together? no phasing issue?

11. distorted noise

distorted noise Member

the amps just sounds great with the two channels running, lots and lots of gain and power.