AC-15HW1 with Celestion GOLD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Motörheader, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Motörheader

Motörheader Member

Any body try a gold in the new AC15 hand wired? I really like the greenback and I am not interested in a blue, but the greenback is breaking up sooner than I thought it would. Dont care much for speaker break up. Im looking for some some of the blue's tone but more head room. I prefer to get as much head room with good tone, and then add dirt with pedals...flex drive, rat, big muff etc..

I know the golds are great sounding but concerned the 15 watts is not enough

Using primarily an SG Standard w/stock pickups, 2ndary guitar is a Rick with toasters..so, one high output, one low output...the gibson, even at low volume breaks up the speakers pretty easily on normal channel with MV bypassed

2. hktk

hktk Member

You will get a bit more volume out of the gold as I believe they are rated at 100db.

If you are liking the Greenback then there are Greenback clones out there that have a higher power rating on them. It might be worth looking into them as well.

Is the reason your not looking at a blue because of the power rating?

3. Motörheader

Motörheader Member

i wasnt considering the blue because im really not into that speaker break up sound they do at lower volume. i really dont like when speakers start to lose control

i have played vox's a long time and i tend to use them like a black face fenders....get a nice clean sound as a base which i also will use to play cleaner stuff, which has little or no hair or distortion and then when i want to, 90% of the time, I will stack distortion pedals into it

why not just get a fender? i have one. had many. dont like that scooped sound at all

4. Motörheader

Motörheader Member

btw, i know the Golds sound great in an AC30..but i have not read much about them in the 15 with 15 less watts...thats really what im wondering

Plus, unlike other AC15's i have played, the new HW is pretty much a closed back except for that little open slit and the perforate metal grill in front of the tubes

5. vanguard

vanguard Member

i run a G10 gold with a 12-15 watt brown princeton and it sounds divine. i also ran a 5/10w victoria head with a G12 gold before i got a blue for it and the speaker sounded like it was being pushed just fine.

basically, i'm sure you'd get just what you're looking for out of a gold: blue-tones with more headroom. if you go elsewhere, the scumnico is like 30w i think, might be just right.

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Hmm, I would be surprised if a blue was all that limiting a 15 watt amp... I currently have a Red Fang in Bassman, and an extra Blue Dog 50 watt that I haven't broken in yet.

7. ken374

ken374 Member

Single coils worked good like a strat or tele with the normal at 2 0'clock SG wont do it to good on our amps but man the Morgan was unbelievable clean with my SG. What tubes you running?

8. Motörheader

Motörheader Member

ok thanks guys

yea the SG is not so great through this amp when trying to get a clean sound. through my dirt pedals (Flex-Drive for example) though, it just screams like an old marshall or something. love it

at this point, I have the stock tubes. Only had the amp a week. Not sure if I will just put some JJs in there or some NOS tubes. Had a JJ power tube blow recently in my DRRI and took out a screen resistor and cost me $100 in repairs so, im not too thrilled with JJ tubes anymore

9. ken374

ken374 Member

I suggest a tungsol in the v1 Ei or JJ 803 v2 JJ powers will get more low end over the Sovteks you might have Rubys think there the same. Had my JJ's for 10 months now and still strong. RCA/GE rectro warmed the tone some more also

10. surfhard

surfhard Supporting Member

I'm a compulsive speaker changer and yes the Gold does sound great. Cleaner and stronger bass and a little more rounded top end.

But I still prefer the Blue because it does stay of the edge of breakup nicely and can be pushed easier.

I've also tried the WGS Invader and Eminence GB128, both 50 watt Greenback type speakers. They both also stay cleaner than the Blue. I'd be happy with either one of those as well.

11. Motörheader

Motörheader Member

Gonna try the JJs for now I think. Just took the back panel off for the first time. A big pain in the butt :facepalm I put the panel back on using only 2 screws to make future removal easier..hopefully it wont buzz or vibrate while playing. those retention springs are on there very tight also. gotta fabricate some sorta tool to pull them down without damaging anything

12. Motörheader

Motörheader Member

I decided to go with a Scumnico 30W with FBI. Seemed like the best option for me
    Will report back once I get it

13. ken374

ken374 Member

awesome speaker

14. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Won't get much compression going at that level, but I'm sure it's a sweet sounding speaker in that amp.

15. Motörheader

Motörheader Member

i guess im not really wanting much compression. if its there, ok. if not thats ok. i get all my dirt from pedals and try to dial in a rich, clean tone as a base.

Once my Bill Larence 600 and 609 pickups come and get installed in my SG, I should be in the ballpark of what Im looking for hopefully

-and i think you were talking about the Gold, solitaire. Should be plenty of compression with the Scumnico

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  16. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

I have a Gold in my 15 watt Savage and it sounds AMAZING!!!

17. Motörheader

Motörheader Member

got my scumnico installed today and it sounds great. have not been able to play it loud yet but it still sounds great. have gotten used to the greenback that came with the amp and to my ears, it sounds very similar but with more complexity and what seems like more response and sensitivity. my first impression was that the sound was much more "instant" than the greenback.

18. Motörheader

Motörheader Member

after playing scumnico for an hour or so i conclude it is awsome. it takes pedals very well and tames super bright pedals/settings and i even get some articulation with the big muff with sustain knob on full which i have never had with 5 other speakers. it takes the mush away. the low end is tight and makes my micro pog sound much better than it ever has especially through dirt pedals. makes me want to play. !