ac-30 CC w/ blues on the way

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by softhackle, Apr 30, 2005.

1. softhackle

softhackle Member

i got an e-mail from sam ash that my ac30cc with blues is in the mail. has anyone else got one yet with the blues?

2. Neill

Neill Member

Don't own one but have played one. Sounded good when I heard someone else playing it but I find it impossible to get good tones out of a vox. However ac30 w/ blues is a classic setup, so if you're familiar w/ ac30 then it should be no problem getting good tones out of it.

3. softhackle

softhackle Member

i've got a top hat club royale to compare it to. we'll see who wins!:D

4. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

hope you enjoy it!! man, those CC's are killer deals. i need a good, dedicated clean amp, and that might be my ticket. class a chime oooooooyeah.

5. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Congrats! I just ordered a VOX AC30CC2 (w/ Wharfdales) today from North Coast and its shipping Monday! I will try out the Wharfdales and see if I like them...Otherwise, I plan on trying combinations of the Weber alnicos I have to see what sounds best . I imagine my 15 watt Blue Dog and 15 watt Silver Bell might be getting a new home :dude
    Anyway, I'm stoked for us! Enjoy!

6. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Those Wharfedales are a bargain and sound great...but alnicos get you "the sound" for sure. You know what sounds really awesome - running the Wharfedale cabinet and a seperate alnico cab at the same time. :RoCkIn

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Be sure to post AFTER you've had it for a week or 2.. I bet you can't wait 2 days tho to post! :p BUt I think you'll find your CR is a mixture of Vox and Marshall and the Ac30 is pure vox... I want to read some posts from people who've owned both since I had a CRII but no AC30cc's.. ERIC

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

CC will! The Tohat sounds more Matchless like than Vox to my ears. Nice amp, but just not all that Vox like imo. Yet to hear any amp out Vox a Vox for Vox tones.

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Thats exactly the way I hear it too Eric. Vox tones seem to be very elusive. The Custom classic with blues has me VERY interested! :)

10. gsf

gsf Member

What's the street price difference between the Wharfdales and the blues? I heard $900 dif between the combos, but that could be list price. Just wondering if you could order the Wharfdales, find 2 blues and swap 'em cheaper.

11. ericb

I borrowed a friend's early VOX ac30 RI (Korg) once for a month, debating whether to buy it. I then chose to buy a brand new Tophat CLUb Royale II unheard.. I got a great deal (back when J&S Music on the net was in business and sold stuff wholesale 1/2 the time!) But though I liked the Tophat, I never loved it.. I always wished I had chosen his Ac30.. He ended up selling it.. I sold the Tophat after 2-3 years or so .. IT was nice, but not what I had wanted as a VOX.... It definitely a 40% VOX , 40% Marshall , 20% Fendery amp.. Nothing wrong with that of course! BUT I wanted an improved VOX... Nah... I love Ac30's and love the 45 year old AC15's and will just have to get one someday.. I've heard Snake River, Purkhiser, etc can make clones.. ALso of course the Hayseed sounds like it'd be a clone. I'll check out something like that someday when I have amp money again.
    These CC's sound like they'd be cool, but I'll wait it out and see how they hold up durabilitywise.. I still have a Valvetronix and to be honest that has AWESOME VOX tones in it, but mine just has an intermittent problem so it's discouraging and I couldn't depend on it ... THOUGH it's still a great amp .

ERIC

12. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

The latest Musician's Friend catalog has a $600 upcharge for the blues in a 2 X 12 combo.

13. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

Played one for a while at a dealer here in town on Friday (actually, he has 2) , both with the blues. Great sounding amp, and fairly well built. 2 complaints. VERY hard to get around inside that thing, and VERY touch sensitive. It is loud, like Kiss in 1979 loud.

I was going to grab one to play at home(a big home at that), no freakin way.

Shawn

14. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Well at least you just described the traits of every Vox AC30 made!! :D

But seriously, in 22 watt mode with the master being used you can get a very nice "home" sound, though certainly not "late night" quiet.

15. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

I have both a TopHat King Royale and Club Royale in my studio.
    I just had a Vox AC30HW through here , and it could not
    hold up to either TopHat especially in terms of versatility.
    The Vox was not mine, but was the property of a recording
    artist who decided after several tests, to record his guitar tracks
    through the King Royale. In fact he insisted on re-recording
    several other songs through the TopHats that were previously
    recorded with the Vox.

Both the King & Club Royale are built upon the Vox AC30 Top
    Boost circuit with a few extra features which can be put in or
    out of the circuit. The EQ is much more functional and therfore
    can get you into other areas. The TopHats will do everything a good Vox AC30 will plus a lot more. If you want a true AC30
    tone you can get it from the TopHats if you just dial the amp
    in properly, which is a very easy thing to do.

16. ericb

Just shows how opinions can differ!!! My Tophat CRII couldn't do everything an ac30 could do and more at all!!! IT did everything IT COULD DO , but sounded nothing like an AC30... Both amps were very different

ERIC

17. gsf

gsf Member

Thanks, forestry.

18. Jttsa

Jttsa Guest

When did you order yours from Sam Ash? I ordered mine(CC combo with the blues) a month ago and they told me it was still atleast 3 weeks away???

19. softhackle

softhackle Member

I ordered it on April 11th. Suppose to be here on Wednesday. :dude

20. Jttsa

Jttsa Guest

Wow...I think I ordered mine in late March and I haven't heard a thing :( When I ordered it he told me they only had 2 on order and that mine was one of the 2 reserved...Do you know someone there or something?