AC 30 tones, what are your favorites?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bionic, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

2. Sol

Sol Member

(Asbestos underpants on)Err..Whos Mike Cambell??

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

tom petty's guitarist.

4. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Campbell is Tom Petty's Guitarist, great pic. R.E.M. opening chords of Whats the Frequency Kenneth is the 60's Vox AC30 grind.

Anything by Queen, yes Death on two legs absolutly AC30. I have Night at the Opera on vinyl if that tells you anything about my age. Even had the naked bicycle race babes poster that came in the Jazz album insert but I lost it.

I also never liked AC30's when I was younger, now they are the bomb so live and learn.

5. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

yes, yes, i know.
    i scooped a really nice quad of mullard EL84s and wanna take the amp in to get the bias fine tuned for those. i'll contact U about 'the kit' so i can get it retrofitted at the same time.
    the amp had broken in wonderfully the weber AlNiCos are the perfect compliment for that amp.

thanx, rob.

6. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I love that tone! It's always in my head :)

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

The AC30 is cathode biased, so there is no bias adjustment required. If your Mullards are matched, just put them in and go.

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Most of the Tom Petty stuff is Fenders and SS Super Beatles (shown in the photo above). Campbell has been using a Princeton Reverb especially through his career.

All the Byrds "jangly" tracks were Fender Twin Reverbs and DIs.

A lot of REM is Twin Reverb and Mesa Boogie, though yes, there are some tracks which are particularly AC30. Begin the Begin, WTFK, and Feeling Gravity's Pull come to mind.

With the exception of a few overdubs on Rubber Soul, all the Beatles tracks after the first album were AC50s, AC100s, 7120s, and various SS Vox amps. Fenders started getting used by Revolver, and by Get Back and Abbey Road it's all Fenders (Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverbs, and a transitional Bassman), though most of the White Album is also Fender.

So a lot of people "think" they know what an AC30 sounds like, but the tracks they reference are not AC30s.

Rory Gallagher, Brian May, Edge, Physical Graffiti, these are all what an AC30 actually does. Not much jangle there, really. Great, great sounds though.

Plug a Strat into a good AC30 Top Boost channel and you can do Ten Years Gone followed by A Sort of Homecoming, without changing a knob on the amp.

Radiohead also gets great results with minimal jangle.

9. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

physical graffiti was done on an ac30??

i hear ya on ten years gone... but i thought i was just really good at dialing my amp in :)

10. Larry

Larry Member

I've always liked the guitar tone on the early Paul McCartney solo albums, expecially Band on the Run, Ram and Venus and Mars. I don't know for sure that it was a Vox or AC30, but always thought the guitar tone was great.

11. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Daniel Lanois
    (Though I'm sure he has more than a few amps to choose from)
    I've read that he has some fantastic sounding AC30's
    He and The Edge have really mined the depths what an AC30 is capable of.

12. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

I know it was the primary amp, though I don't think it was the only amp. But Custard Pie, Ten Years Gone, Down by the Seaside, In the Light, and Kashmir are all very AC30 tones. Other tracks may be other amps or pedals in front of an AC30. One would have to have been there to know for sure, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring an AC30 as the only amp if I had to perform that album live.

Page has had AC30s on the past few tours, too (along with Marshalls and Oranges).

13. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

A friend and I were talking about that and we hypothesized that those might have been AC-30s dressed up in Super Beatle clothing. (although we both know that TP and crew used SBs in the early days)

A wild-ass theory, as it were. Anyone have any inside scoop?

14. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Tom and Mike seem to be pretty dyed in the wool vintage freaks. I doubt they'd molest an original amp like that when they could easily use the Super Beatles as props have the real amps offstage.

15. kingsleyd

Another readily available example of an unaccompanied Strat (well, an S-type guitar :)) through a vintage AC-30 TB is at http://www.dpergoguitars.com/ Go to "recordings" and listen to the clips. (there was a whole thread about these clips on the Small Builder Guitar forum, but they're just as worth it for the amp)

Yeah, I wouldn't call it jangle either. But a plethora of great, great sounds. Really flattering to the *guitar*. Inspired me to get a vintage AC-30TB of my own, and I'm loving every minute of it.

16. kingsleyd

We weren't thinking the Super Beatles were originals -- they look pretty brand-new -- but your scenario makes even more sense.

Regardless, we both thought TP and crew sounded great!

17. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

They've been using those amps since they bought them new in the early '70s. TP mentioned in an article last year that they brought them out for the new tour and couldn't believe how good they sounded.

Not props.

18. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

well yeah, of course.

however, the mullard quad that i have are very robust and can take a very high bias and sound spectacular when used that way. having the amp tweaked to provide a higher bias would move the amp, marginally, in a direction that i would prefer. now, it's likely that if i were to put a modern quad of EL84s in the hayseed after having it biased for those mullards, that the modern valves would not last nearly as long and may even suffer failure.

19. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Listen to the leads at the end.

20. kingsleyd

They look pretty good too. :drool Cool, thanks for the info!