AC Boosted Flexi clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sinasl1, May 25, 2005.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

a few days ago after posting a Flexi clip, someone asked me to do another one with a boost in front of the amp...

this was recorded direct into Logic (amp into Hotplate, line out into my interface and speaker simulation added via Logic's Guitar Amp Pro), a bit of verb added in Logic also. The amp was set for a good crunchy rythym tone and boosted with an Xotic AC Booster ( on the pedal- treble and bass about midway, vol. at 3 o'clock, gain at 9 o'clock)...

It would sound more exciting if I was playing through a cab, as you don't get feedback recording direct of course, but the tone is really close to a mic'd Celestion I think....

Anyways, as has been stated about this amp before, it gives you back what you put into it, much like a non-master Marshall.... if you play sloppy, it won't mask that, but if you dig in and rip, it rewards you with kickass vintage tones... I think it's got enough gain (especially with a boost) for anything but the most gained-up modern rock/metal, and that tone really relies more on massive preamp gain and a tight power stage with headroom to spare anyways... that's not really what this amp is about, it's about dynamics and soul.

I'm off to A@S cases to have a roadcase built for this thing... taking it to Spain in a couple weeks on tour!

http://music.mp3lizard.com/petethorn/

click on "Flexi Boosted"

_

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Well damn, that sounds freaking good to me. Wow.

3. Ken

Ken Member

Great...Really Hot sounding!

4. glogulus

glogulus Supporting Member

Your playing makes that tone sound even better still!

5. Blue Finger

Blue Finger Member

Very nice!! That sounds very close to the tones I'm getting out of my Flexi, hitting it with the modern side of my Time Machine boost.

I love my Flexi, best amp I've ever owned.

6. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Thanks for the kind words guys,

Hey Blue Finger, where do you have the boost set on your TMB? I have one too and love it, but it can get a little mucky sounding with the Flexi I find, I have to be careful to not boost too much...

7. Blue Finger

Blue Finger Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have the TMB boost set between 1:00 and 2:00. I always play with the boost engaged on the Flexi set at about 3:00, so its cooking pretty hot anyway. I hit the TMB to push it over the edge and give me that endless sustaining lead tone.
    I really like the way it sounds, but now you have me wanting to check out an AC booster :mad: :D .

8. Madsman

Madsman Member

First off, great playing.

Second off, great lead tone.

I bought an RC Booster in preparation for buying a Flexi, and now I have both. I found the AC Booster too be "too much" and the RC to be just right. I am, however, planning to try several additional pedals... the Bad Monkey is probably joining my rig tomorrow.

I've barely scratched the surface with this amp yet, but I can hear some sounds in common between your settings and what I currently know of the Flexi. Planning to put in major hours again tomorrow (done at least 3 hours the last 3 nights).

I'm totally psyched... clips like this really help flip on some lightbulbs, for me.

9. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

yeah I know what you mean about the AC being a bit much... to tell the truth I haven't really bonded with it, using it with other amps. When I was doing the clip it just happened to be handy so I plugged it in and gave it a shot... that's the 1st time I've tried it through the Flexi! I think it sounds pretty good through that amp! But you do have to set the gain low or it'll mush out... I'm thinking TS9 (or any of the variants) with the Flexi would be a winner..

10. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Sounds great! Awesome playing too!:)

11. Blueser

Blueser Member

Hey Sinas,

Very nice stuff! Are you using Logic Express or Pro? Did Guitar amp pro come with Logic as part of the package? I really like it.

B

12. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

That's one of the best clips I have heard from ANY amp...ever.

Great job!

13. lg64strat

lg64strat Member

Wow,

What a great sound AND great playing. Excellant control!

lg64strat...

14. Marcello

Marcello Member

15. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Wow you guys are too kind, thanks,

Blueser- I have Logic Pro 7, yes Guitar Amp Pro is included, and it rules. Great modeling program without alot of bells and whistles, and I like using it for the purpose I did here, just the speaker sims....

Logic has so many features, plug-ins, included soft synths, drum machine, etc. that I think it'll take me a year to really understand, it is incredibly deep, but a great value, and it all runs smoothly and has less CPU drain than Pro Tools...

Anyways, I'm loving this Flexi, I just had a custom case designed for it and a GT8 efx processor, so I can have a simple fly-rig with my head and efx all in one easy to transport box...

between this amp and my Top Hat Emplexador, my Marshall jones is taken care of.....

16. glynn

glynn Member

Ohh, that sounds great! Me likes!

17. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

Oh Man, that sounds Great. Love the playing, too.
    Now I'm really GASSING for a Flexi!!!(though I can't play like THAT)

Allan.

18. Madsman

Madsman Member

How are you running your effects with the amp?

19. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Madsman... I have 3 efx rigs,

rig#1: a 12 space rack with pedals on a drawer, a GCX, and a Rocktron Replifex and a Lexicon MPX G2, and a Boogie stereo power amp so I can use the Replifex and return path of the G2 in a Wet/Dry/Wet setup.... this is my favorite way to go, sounds huge, but I can't carry it around myself, it's just for touring/sessions when the budget permits a road crew/cartage... you also need 3 mics to make it work and that pisses off some sound guys.. signal path would be:

guitar-GCX in-GCX loop 8 configured for A/B out to amp/amps... Hotplate on amp output-speaker out on hotplate to dry cab, line out on hotplate to input of Replifex, stereo out to-input of MPX G2, stereo out to- input of Boogie poweramp-stereo 2-12" cab

Rig #2: I just had a 6 space rack made with a pedal drawer (various fuzzes/boosts and a Mojovibe on there), a Line 6 Echo Pro (love it) and an MPX G2, and a Boogie 20/20... for now, I'm using all the efx in front of the amp, but I can easily use the G2 with the Boogie for a wet/dry rig with this rack too...

Rig#3: Boss GT8!

so with this thing, I can run efx in front of the amp, and in the loop of the amp. The idea with using it is to have a small, portable rig I can lug around myself, and that'll go on an airplane (a bit overweight, but at least it'll get on). It's an extremely well thought out unit.. essentially , it gives me the power of a rack with all kinds of stuff in it. Of course, you are stuck with the Boss efx, but they sound quite good and are very useable. I seem to lose a bit of tone running into this thing, but it's a reasonable tradeoff if you need (like I do on some gigs) to access many sounds at the push of a button and you can't carry around a ton of gear.

signal path is like this:
    guitar-GT8-GT8 send into input of amp-amp send into return of GT8-GT8 main out into return of amp

If you were to carry a small power amp, you could do a wet/dry rig using the GT8 as well... just use the line out on the Flexi to drive the post efx path in the gt8, and then run the main out to the poweramp/wet cab....

hope that was clear, whew...

20. big hair

big hair Member

that clip sounds great! :dude